Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
And he made questionable decisions defensively, showed a propensity to get lost in his own zone and would frequently dive on his belly to fill wrong lanes on odd man rushes, cycles and the PK
He was diving on his belly because the team this isn't probably wouldn't be much without his determination..

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
London STH here:
The kid is good. Poised. A hell of a shot - arguably pro-level. Always in a good position skating, shoulders square, head up. I like his puck handling and first pass. While he only played a dozen or so games, he was arguably the best D-man, and without him, the Knights are noticeably bad on D.
I keep looking for holes in his game, but besides that one game where he was looking for a fight, I don't see many that would scare me away. His only real problem is the lack of experience, a result of the suspension and now the injury. But ... He will be a good NHL Dman one day. I have absolutely ZERO doubts. Now that Bergy isn't around to screw up his development, I would NOT trade him.
How does he compare to previous recent NHLers/draftees who played in London ?

I'm thinking Mete, Bouchard, Juolevi, Regula, Merkley.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He's one hell of a hockey player.. Most people would be touting his skills if he wasn't used as a tool for the leagues " I'm Sorry"

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
How does he compare to previous recent NHLers/draftees who played in London ?

I'm thinking Mete, Bouchard, Juolevi, Regula, Merkley.
Tough to compare. The real problem is a lack of playing time and experience. Simple as that.

Bouchard was so in control, all the time. I would watch his eyes - his "ice vision" was great and he was always well positioned. Regula was physical on the boards, but he had a solid frame to throw around. Merkley was unbelievably quick and adept on rushes. Mete had speed and moves that made him ready for the early jump to pros ... (Laval, not Montreal, IMO).
None of those qualities are displayed without gaining confidence first. And that confidence comes from games played.
Mailloux can be that good. His shot rivals Bouchard's. While he hasn't shown the speed of Mete/Merkley (yet), his skating and puck handling are solid.
He can't calm a team down on the ice or control the pace like Bouchard could. But Bouchard was the team leader. Mailloux hasn't really had a chance to be on the team, let alone lead. It will be interesting to see if he has that in him. I suspect yes.

If back here in London next season, he will be a 25-minute a game, 50-60 point horse for the team.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Tough to compare. The real problem is a lack of playing time and experience. Simple as that.

Bouchard was so in control, all the time. I would watch his eyes - his "ice vision" was great and he was always well positioned. Regula was physical on the boards, but he had a solid frame to throw around. Merkley was unbelievably quick and adept on rushes. Mete had speed and moves that made him ready for the early jump to pros ... (Laval, not Montreal, IMO).
None of those qualities are displayed without gaining confidence first. And that confidence comes from games played.
Mailloux can be that good. His shot rivals Bouchard's. While he hasn't shown the speed of Mete/Merkley (yet), his skating and puck handling are solid.
He can't calm a team down on the ice or control the pace like Bouchard could. But Bouchard was the team leader. Mailloux hasn't really had a chance to be on the team, let alone lead. It will be interesting to see if he has that in him. I suspect yes.

If back here in London next season, he will be a 25-minute a game, 50-60 point horse for the team.
Mailloux’s skating and dynamic offensive potential play makes his ceiling much higher than Bouchard’s, while Mailloux’s floor is lower than Bouchard’s. I don’t think there is any middle ground for Mailloux. I think he is either a star at the NHL level or a complete bust. If the former, it will have been one of the Idiot Savant’s most enlightened moves.

Reactions: montreal

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Could be a motivation for Habs to let Mailloux's rights expire? This group would get an extra 2nd round pick for 2023.

They'll sign him. They'll just leave it for as long as possible.

If they were going to rescind his rights, it would have been done immediately after the backlash.

Of course this is all moot if he comes back and plays like garbage due to all of his missed time.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Could be a motivation for Habs to let Mailloux's rights expire? This group would get an extra 2nd round pick for 2023.

I can't remember correctly how it works.. If I remember correctly, it's an added pick to the 2nd round. But is it the last pick of the 2nd round or a middle one? I know it happened in the past but I can't remember if it was like #51 or something later.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They'll sign him. They'll just leave it for as long as possible.

If they were going to rescind his rights, it would have been done immediately after the backlash.

Of course this is all moot if he comes back and plays like garbage due to all of his missed time.

It they renounced the pick, they would just relinquish the rights. This way, they just let his rights expire and that is when they will get the compensatory 2nd round pick. If they renounced it after he was selected, they'd get nothing.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Can players re-enter the draft years after they have been drafted before?

Yes. If an NHL team does not sign a player within the two years in which he was drafted, he can re-enter the draft as long as he is 20 years old or younger for his second draft. Players over 20 years old automatically become UFAs. Players can only enter the NHL Draft twice.

For college NCAA players that have been drafted, NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after the player has left college.

A team that does not sign a first-round draft pick receives a compensatory pick in a future draft upon losing the rights to that player, determined on a case-by-case basis.

Compensatory Picks
: If a team does not sign their first-round pick within two years, they will be awarded a compensatory pick in the Draft immediately following. The pick will be in the 2nd round, equal to the selection number of the unsigned player. All other teams' selections move back one spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Tricolore

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
It they renounced the pick, they would just relinquish the rights. This way, they just let his rights expire and that is when they will get the compensatory 2nd round pick. If they renounced it after he was selected, they'd get nothing.
I still think they sign him. They're not going to let a first rounder go just to get a second rounder, that's bad business.

If they sign him immediately, the face the "see? Just waited the bare minimum and signed him" crowd. The longer he rehabilitates, the more they have to back up the decision when they do sign him eventually.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I don't know.

Yeah I just posted the rules above. There's nothing about him refusing a contract or not. If he doesn't sign, we get #63. It's # selected in previous draft but in the 2nd round. He was selected #31.. so with 32 teams, we get #63 I guess?

That said, we have 2 years to sign him.. so one more year after this one?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I still think they sign him. They're not going to let a first rounder go just to get a second rounder, that's bad business.

If they sign him immediately, the face the "see? Just waited the bare minimum and signed him" crowd. The longer he rehabilitates, the more they have to back up the decision when they do sign him eventually.

Of course the possibility they sign him is real.

But this isn't the previous group that drafted Mailloux. This is a brand new group of people in charge now and they could value an extra 2nd round pick in their pocket for 2023 that would fall on their laps. A 2nd round pick they can use to move up in the 1st round and get a better player.

Yeah I just posted the rules above. There's nothing about him refusing a contract or not. If he doesn't sign, we get #63. It's # selected in previous draft but in the 2nd round. He was selected #31.. so with 32 teams, we get #63 I guess?

That said, we have 2 years to sign him.. so one more year after this one?

Yes, this upcoming season is the last season the Habs hold his rights. So if he's not signed by June 1, 2023, then the Habs will lose his rights and get a 2nd round pick. And you are correct, it would be the #63. And everyone else is moved back a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad