Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Shoulder injury and might be operated. 4 to 6 months absence if he is.....lol

Dumb pick then. Even dumber now. Remains to be seen how dumb it will be in the future. But there will be some very good players that were chosen after him....geez.
Well, the scouts that missed out on those better players taken after Mailloux, are still on staff and will be relied upon for this draft. And yes, I appreciate that they weren’t the ultimate decision makers but there is a pretty long track record of picks made while those guys were relied upon.

How worried should we be?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hm... Might be to good for OHL. You see him getting disinterested out there.

No I am not saying he is ready physically for the NHL.

You still have to wonder about his mindset. How the heck are you looking disinsterested when you are such on a short leech and on the watchlist of everybody wanting you to fail?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well, the people that missed out on those better players taken after Mailloux, are still on staff and will be relied upon for this draft. And yes, I appreciate that they weren’t the ultimate decision makers but there is a pretty long track record of picks made while those guys were relied upon.

How worried should we be?

Easy answer is to say that we should until proven otherwise. Again, it's all about strategy. Maybe those scouts are great....but were just not listened to. Maybe the advice from higher up was to go for needs. If the goal is to go with BPA...all the time...maybe we'll start discovering people. So we will have some idea in 6 months. And a greater idea in 3-4 years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Easy answer is to say that we should until proven otherwise. Again, it's all about strategy. Maybe those scouts are great....but were just not listened to. Maybe the advice from higher up was to go for needs. If the goal is to go with BPA...all the time...maybe we'll start discovering people. So we will have some idea in 6 months. And a greater idea in 3-4 years.
I was thinking more in terms of new management auditing these scouts for the work they did for 10 drafts (2012-21).

There has to be a way for HuGo to mine and sift out the data and see who the more reliable scouts are in preparing for this draft, until new hires can be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What's with these trade talks I've been hearing from that goof on the JIC show. That would be idiotic.
Yeah, I like the tools too much to trade him for what would likely be an underwhelming return.

I want to see how Mailloux develops with a full year of hockey. He's going to need time as well to readjust next year as he's missed so much time.

Reactions: Frank JT and Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yeah, I like the tools too much to trade him for what would likely be an underwhelming return.

I want to see how Mailloux develops with a full year of hockey. He's going to need time as well to readjust next year as he's missed so much time.

It could turn into a McDonaugh thing.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
And has all but almost a point in every single one...

Next.
Right, so he has a point in almost each game, so he's perfect? What the heck is this? I'm sure every player who has had 16 points in 16 games ended up an NHL regular. Weird argument you're trying to make.

Reactions: Garry Valk

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Right, so he has a point in almost each game, so he's perfect? What the heck is this? I'm sure every player who has had 16 points in 16 games ended up an NHL regular. Weird argument you're trying to make.
He said he might be too good for junior. He didn’t say he was an nhl regular. Weird strawman you are trying to make.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
He said he might be too good for junior. He didn’t say he was an nhl regular. Weird strawman you are trying to make.
How can you even possibly conclude that he's too good for juniors after 16 measly games? I extrapolated as much as he did.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's with these trade talks I've been hearing from that goof on the JIC show. That would be idiotic.

Yeah, trading him at this point to rid ourselves of the organizational ethics of doing business is really bad business. He's a hockey talent that could be a good one for us. His mistake is in the past and he's been working hard to overcome it. Nothing else to ponder about other than letting him develop and monitor his progression.

Trading him now could be a massive mistake like it was with Sergachev.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I never said he was perfect, your putting words in my mouth. My Original point was that his skills and abilities are NHL-ready, HE is not.. Sort of like Barron. Yes, he's played 16 OHL games but I was speculating on his play as of late..

Injury related?
Motivation related?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah, trading him at this point to rid ourselves of the organizational ethics of doing business is really bad business. He's a hockey talent that could be a good one for us. His mistake is in the past and he's been working hard to overcome it. Nothing else to ponder about other than letting him develop and monitor his progression.

Absolutely agreed.............they need more time here, to better evaluate.
I think we are somewhat over the initial stupidity of the pick, and if the kid is a player, they will continue to work with him, to make ammends.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

All depends on the return. If for example Mailloux is the core piece of a Chychrun trade it's not likely to be a massive mistake (Depending on what else is part of the deal). Or what about a Mailloux for Kakko or Lafreniere, we could win that trade just as easily as we lose it.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
London STH here:
The kid is good. Poised. A hell of a shot - arguably pro-level. Always in a good position skating, shoulders square, head up. I like his puck handling and first pass. While he only played a dozen or so games, he was arguably the best D-man, and without him, the Knights are noticeably bad on D.
I keep looking for holes in his game, but besides that one game where he was looking for a fight, I don't see many that would scare me away. His only real problem is the lack of experience, a result of the suspension and now the injury. But ... He will be a good NHL Dman one day. I have absolutely ZERO doubts. Now that Bergy isn't around to screw up his development, I would NOT trade him. JMO

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
All depends on the return. If for example Mailloux is the core piece of a Chychrun trade it's not likely to be a massive mistake (Depending on what else is part of the deal). Or what about a Mailloux for Kakko or Lafreniere, we could win that trade just as easily as we lose it.
I doubt Lafreniere is available or would have been earlier. I doubt Kakko would be, either. Looks like both should have had more time in the minors at this point, but Lafreniere is showing signs of breaking out. They were rushed but they are still way too young for a team to give up on them.

The habs should probably avoid trading younger guys for older. They are on a youth kick. They can sign a veteran or two once the playoffs are in sight.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Mailloux has by far the most offensive upside of all D in the Habs organization. Maybe he busts (he was a swing at the fences) but geezaz it would be stupid to trade that size/tool combination before we find out what we have in him.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Mailloux is this org’s legitimate gamble for a #1D. To trade him away would be a mistake. Hopefully he recovers from this shoulder injury quickly and doesn’t miss anymore time next year.

Him panning out along with our some of other d prospects could be crazy good for this team long term.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad