Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And here comes Barron. He was probably a target for that reason. It leaves Mailloux more time to develop (if he does)

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with that since Mailloux was always going to be in the OHL next year and likely Laval the year after depending on how his season went so I would assume that's still the plan.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
We drafted him for needs. Though the kid is not without talent like Tinordi was. But he was a need pick. In most lists, wasan't top 30 before the incident was known. We had other possibilities. We decided to f*** it up. And now, the NEED might be at best 3 years from being in the NHL. What will be our needs then? We don't know. Reason why needs should never be drafted.

It's not like he was a top 10 pick and we decided that as BPA we had to draft him. THAT would be another story.

Yes, he has qualities. Good skater. Good wristers. But his defensive work needs TONS of improvement. As big as the guy is...his strength needs TONS of work too. I've seen him continuously be beaten and pushed around by much smaller players. Is it strength? Is it will? The guy better not decide to retire...we'll wait for him. But it will be WAY longer than some expected to be. While we will watch guys picked in the 2nd round having more success sooner and better than him. No doubt.

No. He was a Home Run swing in the 30's. We complain all the time about the Habs drafting players with limited upside and not swinging for the fences. Mailloux has massive upside especially offensively.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
yes, it's even dumber now because he got injured :rolleyes:

The situation makes it dumber as he is losing 1 year of development. So yeah, the situation in itself makes the unecessary pick dumber.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
No. He was a Home Run swing in the 30's. We complain all the time about the Habs drafting players with limited upside and not swinging for the fences. Mailloux has massive upside especially offensively.

Scherbak was an homerun swing. Galchenyuk while losing a full year was an homerun swing. How is that massive upside not worth a 1st round pick BEFORE the incident was known? Was the 2021 draft SO deep? You don't see how Morrow had huge upside? You don't see how Zellweger had huge upside and could have been seen as an homerun pick based on his draft year? Buium didn't qualify as an homerun? Klimovich? Pinelli? Stankhoven? And most importantly...Raty????? Even Chibrikov?

That draft was FILLED with homeruns type of picks MOSTLY offensive. But strangely, and CLEARLY a coincidence, we went with a righty d-man...lol

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Contrary to a lot of people here, I've never advocated to get rid of him. And still don't. We don't have, as a fanbase, to pay for the ineptitude of our management. But this didn't have to be. It just didn't. And my point wil always be about BPA vs needs. He was picked as a need. We decided to forget everything he was because of the need to add righty d-men. Period. And it will rarely be a good idea. Now...that need will probably see his development pushed 1 year.

While the kid still has A TON to do to play in the NHL. A ton. Will he do it? I don't know. Don't know his character and what this injury will do to him. A guy who loves to hit and likes to fight, having such an injury, we don't know what it will do to him.

But it's just a situation that we could have EASILY avoid....WITHOUT having to draft a safe player 'cause as proven, there were TONS of risky great players chosen after.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Yea I don’t know why Canadiens would take a PR risk to draft a need. They drafted him because they saw huge upside. If they wanted to draft for need they would have just taken next D on their list

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Scherbak was an homerun swing. Galchenyuk while losing a full year was an homerun swing. How is that massive upside not worth a 1st round pick BEFORE the incident was known? Was the 2021 draft SO deep? You don't see how Morrow had huge upside? You don't see how Zellweger had huge upside and could have been seen as an homerun pick based on his draft year? Buium didn't qualify as an homerun? Klimovich? Pinelli? Stankhoven? And most importantly...Raty????? Even Chibrikov?

That draft was FILLED with homeruns type of picks MOSTLY offensive. But strangely, and CLEARLY a coincidence, we went with a righty d-man...lol
The only reason Mailloux was still around at 31 is because of the trouble he got himself into. You can't say that about the players you mentioned. Mailloux was putting up over a point per game this season before his first injury despite basically zero OHL experience and jumping into action when everyone else was in mid-season form. The kid is extremely raw with high end upside. He also has gaps in his game and can turn out to be a bust but his potential is though the roof. He's a long term project.

Of course an RD is a premium pick. But saying we drafted solely by need at #31 is silly.

Galchenyuk wasn't a HR swing. He was top 5 on just about all lists and was #4 on Bob McK's consensus list from NHL execs/scouts. HockeyProspect had him at #1.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yea I don’t know why Canadiens would take a PR risk to draft a need. They drafted him because they saw huge upside. If they wanted to draft for need they would have just taken next D on their list

IMO, it was a home run swing for a position of need. We needed an RD. We needed a #1 D, since Weber had just gone down.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Contrary to a lot of people here, I've never advocated to get rid of him. And still don't. We don't have, as a fanbase, to pay for the ineptitude of our management. But this didn't have to be. It just didn't. And my point wil always be about BPA vs needs. He was picked as a need. We decided to forget everything he was because of the need to add righty d-men. Period. And it will rarely be a good idea. Now...that need will probably see his development pushed 1 year.

While the kid still has A TON to do to play in the NHL. A ton. Will he do it? I don't know. Don't know his character and what this injury will do to him. A guy who loves to hit and likes to fight, having such an injury, we don't know what it will do to him.

But it's just a situation that we could have EASILY avoid....WITHOUT having to draft a safe player 'cause as proven, there were TONS of risky great players chosen after.
I disagree that this pick was a because we drafted for need. Just because he is a right D and that is a need, it doesn’t mean this pick was specifically because of the need. Maybe the habs thought he had a huge amount of upside and he also just so happened to fill a need.

Secondly, I don’t know why MTL would take the PR risk and then just draft for need. If they were drafting for need, why not just take the next D on their list and avoid the PR hassle. This was a swing for the fences and take the PR hit hoping that the upside pays off down the road.

I like Logan. While he needed to pay for what he did, he served his time. Move on. I hate it when people don’t consider him a prospect or omit him from lists….that’s virtue signalling. Yea the kid messed up, he served his time and now we need to accept and treat like the others. And everyone saying what he did was terrible, yes it was, but I can assure you he is not the only hockey player let alone 17 year old to do that…inreally hope he makes it and shuts people up

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

You're contradicting yourself in your first two paragraphs. The Habs were in love with his size and his tools. Point finale. Being RD was a bonus at a crapshoot point in a draft that was full of so much uncertainty because so many kids didn't get many views.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Ryker Evans has 55 points in 57 games with the Everett Silvertips. Oh, and he's a defenceman. Seattle got him at 35th overall.

If they were obsessed with the right handed D, Scott Morrow at 40th overall is second in team scoring at UMass-Amherst as an 18 year old.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Mailloux plays in NHL in two years imo. Too much skill to leave him down. Mailloux is easily better than undersized D like Zellweger and Evans. Mailloux can shoot it like crazy and definitely be a hitting monster once he starts timing his hits better. Plus the London effect makes the pick even better. Picking one of these undersized Ds or Stankoven would have been the pu*** move. Mailloux was the true all or nothing pick.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You're contradicting yourself in your first two paragraphs. The Habs were in love with his size and his tools. Point finale. Being RD was a bonus at a crapshoot point in a draft that was full of so much uncertainty because so many kids didn't get many views.

Not sure where. It's not like he was pencilled top 15 and was dropping due to the story. Without that, he's still in the mix with tons of players. At the time, I'd wish we went somewhere else. I still do. And will always do.

If what you are saying is true, we should have went Raty. Who has size, tools, and was pencilled to go much earlier until he drop from the face of the earth. But we didn't. You say RD is a bonus. I say it was the MAIN thing. You add the size and what they think his offense is and you've got their need pick.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Ryker Evans has 55 points in 57 games with the Everett Silvertips. Oh, and he's a defenceman. Seattle got him at 35th overall.

If they were obsessed with the right handed D, Scott Morrow at 40th overall is second in team scoring at UMass-Amherst as an 18 year old.

Not sure what your point is. They were obsessed. And picked the bigger guy. That's it. They have 1 pick. Not 3. They wanted a righty D. They liked his size and puck skills. Their idea was to complete their defense they had in mind. To me it's just mindboggling to think like that. If you have 15 Cole Caufield in your system, is it a problem? Or will you not be able to trade a couple of them to get bigger?

Anyway, it's just frustrating. There is one guy who we learn that is done for the year, and it just happened to be that guy....

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
IMO, it was a home run swing for a position of need. We needed an RD. We needed a #1 D, since Weber had just gone down.
True, but RD are generally valued a bit higher due the fact that they are a rare commodity. So they are desirable whether it is a position of need or not (for most teams, it is).

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
The situation makes it dumber as he is losing 1 year of development. So yeah, the situation in itself makes the unecessary pick dumber.
Would you call Rodion Amirov’s pick dumb because he’s gonna miss significant time in the future?

Injuries should not make or break what you might think of Mailloux’s pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad