Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I still think that MB and TT couldn't resist any case where perceived value was reduced. They thought they got a discount on Kostitsyn when there were better players, but better players who didn't have something artificially lowering their value. I suspect they couldn't get away from Mailloux for the same reason. He might not be the best player available but he was 25% off...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Would you call Rodion Amirov’s pick dumb because he’s gonna miss significant time in the future?

Injuries should not make or break what you might think of Mailloux’s pick.
Guhle as well. He got injured, so only ended up playing 12 games in total last year (wjc + ahl + whl).

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Would you call Rodion Amirov’s pick dumb because he’s gonna miss significant time in the future?

Injuries should not make or break what you might think of Mailloux’s pick.

People only want to hear or read what they want. Were you around when we made that pick? Were anybody alive? Everybody acknowledge that we f***ed up. First, he is not a top 10 that fell. He had his deficiencies. Big time. Other players were really interesting aorund our pick....remember that NOBODY in here wanted to pick Mailloux? Do people have that short of a memory? How about we are consequent for a change? Amirov has obviously NOTHING to do with that. As if my point is that when a player injures himself it means it was a terrible pick...lol

It's an addition to a pick we should have NEVER made. You see the kid who is suppose to lay low....he scores a goal and showboats....then started to play the stick on a much smaller player, who ended up having enough and corrected the big guy who injures himself in the process. His character is still to be determined. His defensive play is still a BIG questoin mark. His overall strength still has a lot to work on. So he's another 1st rounder who we will have to wait and wait till he develops. And the frustration of that injury is just that...an added frustration to the whole pick.

NOW, even at the time, and today, and tomorrow, I did state, AGAIN, that it's a kid that we should NOT let go. We shouldn't trade. And we should work with him as I also believe he could be a d-man in this NHL. BUT...I believe better players were passed on. And we will regret not having those guys despite Mailloux becoming a NHL player.

But while I usually NEVER believe in that....I mean....it reads karma big time. A player that should not have been picked, didn't play till January...and might leave in March. That could result in having resuming hockey in October or even later next year...it sucks man.

Reactions: Michelangelo

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
everybody?

I can 100% see why they made the pick and he's easily one of our top prospects if not our best. The tools have the chance to be crazy good if he can get the rest figured out.

At the time? Somebody at the time said how brillant the pick was? Did somebody at the time had him for us before the incident was known? Did anybody at the time had him DESPITE the incident?

He,s not our best. Guhle is. Easy. Mailloux could be a good one if he gets it. But there's still tons to get.

Just wondering...how ecstatic you, I or others would be if Zellweger would be our prospects instead? Or even Morrow? Or at least 10 of them. We would ALSO claim that they would be on top of our prospect list.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
everybody?

I can 100% see why they made the pick and he's easily one of our top prospects if not our best. The tools have the chance to be crazy good if he can get the rest figured out.

Yup, not everyone! It was a very good pick at that spot when we look at the skill he has. The rest is noise cause we are not ambassadors to what he did in his personal life. The only issue I would have is if he continued to be a problem child and mistake after mistake where we kept supporting him. It appears he has learned for it and it's in the past. If he turns into a good asset for us which appears to be the case, it's a great pick!

Out with shoulder surgery for 4-6 months? That's going to derail his development to some degree. Happens at the critical age of 18 which will affect his training for his age 19 season. Lets hope this is not a trend like it was with Brook. I believe he was hurt in his age 18 season as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the time? Somebody at the time said how brillant the pick was? Did somebody at the time had him for us before the incident was known? Did anybody at the time had him DESPITE the incident?

He,s not our best. Guhle is. Easy. Mailloux could be a good one if he gets it. But there's still tons to get.

Just wondering...how ecstatic you, I or others would be if Zellweger would be our prospects instead? Or even Morrow? Or at least 10 of them. We would ALSO claim that they would be on top of our prospect list.

The hope in the draft +1 was no different than it was with Mailloux vs Zellweger or Morrow. We drafted the guy we felt was the BPA and he is one of our best prospects.

If I was you, I would steer clear of who's going to be the better NHL'er today. This will no doubt be a rollercoaster ride in development for all 3 of them. You might be right that the other two end up better but you may be really wrong. Time will tell. Act like an expert then if you are right

But lets not pretend all of us thought this was a bad pick. That's just completely false

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why though, there is no spotlight on him besides on here lol.

Outside of Montreal fans and media, there is not that much focus on the kid. I was talking to a few Leafs and Bruins fans last week about young prospects the Habs got and when I mentioned his name, they were like who (fairly knowledgeable fans too)? I said you know, the guy who shared pictures of his g/f last year and they were like... "Oh yeah, that's a while ago now, the kid just made a mistake, He's doing well in the CHL now, Good for him".

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

If you look past the incident then it's easy to see why they picked him and how smart it could be and if not for the incident then I don't think we would have been able to get him where we did. On a just hockey stand point, he's exactly the kind of gamble you take on a very late 1st imo. So I had no problem with the pick just based on hockye alone.

I think Guhle is the safest but I question the offensive upside. We know Guhle will likely be a very solid NHLer but just how good? Mailloux has tools to go with size, skating, mobility that we haven't seen in a long, long time. So he certainly is one of our best prospects, no question.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

People didn't want him at the time because they respected his wishes not to be drafted in 2021. However, since the NHL did not have a mechanism to grant his wish officially, and since other teams were poised to select him with a 2nd, it became inevitable. At first I was WTF, but only because he had asked not to be drafted. Once I saw his rankings and his highlights, I was like, OK. If he is the best at that position, a PMD playing right is valuable no matter what, and the dude has shown some maturity in dealing with his issue.

Now that I have seen him play, I still feel this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I still think that MB and TT couldn't resist any case where perceived value was reduced. They thought they got a discount on Kostitsyn when there were better players, but better players who didn't have something artificially lowering their value. I suspect they couldn't get away from Mailloux for the same reason. He might not be the best player available but he was 25% off...
A bargain hunter could never resist such a discount 🤣

Reactions: MakeTheGoalsLarger

Jul 6, 2016
MB has nothing to do with Kostitsyn.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Anything interesting here?

Read it. says they wont sign him until they feel he as a person is ready and not a moment sooner. They have an internal task force set up to review his case. They last met 3 weeks ago. Finally he'll be going back to junior.

Based on how I read there not rushing, so I'd expect you won't see him sign until next year at the earliest

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Big mistake to not sign him. The kid may end up preferring to go back in the draft in 2023. There are limits to not get over it. At time you would think that Mailloux is Alex in the movie Clockwork Orange.

Read it. says they wont sign him until they feel he as a person is ready and not a moment sooner. They have an internal task force set up to review his case. They last met 3 weeks ago. Finally he'll be going back to junior.

Based on how I read there not rushing, so I'd expect you won't see him sign until next year at the earliest

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Big mistake to not sign him. The kid may end up preferring to go back in the draft in 2023. There are limits to not get over it. At time you would think that Mailloux is Alex in the movie Clockwork Orange.
I don't think it's a mistake not to attempt to sign him right away, in fact I think it ideal to continue to work with the kid and then see what happens next season. Logan and his agent know the Habs are putting in the time and resources to work with him and that means a lot.

We know Logan has put in all the work both on and off the ice to date and I don't see that changing going forward. I fully expect him to be part of the franchise going forward unless there's a deal that can't be turned down....as with any player.

Reactions: Toene

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You really think that Mailloux is so dumb that after all that he did not understand he made a serious mistake? He is treated like he is intrinsically a bad person prone to repeat similar actions, or worse, on a regular basis.

The Habs should sign him just to make sure he will sign with them and make sure they won't lose him foe nothing in the 2023 draft. Also, Hughes should refuse to talk with journalists about him, except about the hockey aspect. Instead of saying that he must continue to express remorses, the team should say that there is nothing else to say about the off ice problems he had. All have been said, it's impossible to erase the past, it's time to move forward.

I don't think it's a mistake not to attempt to sign him right away, in fact I think it ideal to continue to work with the kid and then see what happens next season. Logan and his agent know the Habs are putting in the time and resources to work with him and that means a lot.

We know Logan has put in all the work both on and off the ice to date and I don't see that changing going forward. I fully expect him to be part of the franchise going forward unless there's a deal that can't be turned down....as with any player.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You really think that Mailloux is so dumb that after all that he did not understand he made a serious mistake? He is treated like he is intrinsically a bad person prone to repeat similar actions, or worse, on a regular basis.

The Habs should sign him just to make sure he will sign with them and make sure they won't lose him foe nothing in the 2023 draft. Also, Hughes should refuse to talk with journalists about him, except about the hockey aspect. Instead of saying that he must continue to express remorses, the team should say that there is nothing else to say about the off ice problems he had. All have been said, it's impossible to erase the past, it's time to move forward.
No, he knows what happened and is moving on. It's a good thing. I think you're overreacting in regards to the amount of people thinking he's a bad person. There's a few on here that go overboard about his situation, which is fine that's the world we live in, but as we know and have seen repeatedly, this type of situation is very common place in schools these days. The big difference is nobody knows those kids, Logan is a high profile case so additional effort needs to be displayed.

There is no rush to sign him especially when both parties are in constant communication. It's a joint effort and both parties are willing participants moving forward. There is no strain on the relationship.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

The team is a marketable product. Nothing more. There is no purpose to the habs but to make money for their owner. They are not a public service, they are ONLY an entertainment product. Whether their private, capitalist owner thinks they will make more money through marketing personalities or icing winning teams is no-one’s business but their own.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

I was surprised that there was no mention of how Mailloux is doing with his program. In the summer/fall, there was lots of talk about the Knights and Habs collaborating to help Logan the person through counselling, therapy etc.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
If he is developing into a good hockey player I hope they sign him,The team needs excelllent hockey players. I don't give a hoot about this diversity nonsense.I want the stanely cup finally back in Montreal where it belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad