Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's only been 3 games but is Reinbacher ahead of Mailloux with defensive assignments? I don't see much of Laval's games just video highlights but saw Reinbacher ina few games and seeing live is way more helpfull than video.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Follow the Dallas method...Thomas Harley played over 100 AHL games and is now a top pairing defenseman
Harley played some NHL games in between. Played 34 games at the same age as Mailloux (vs 27 in the AHL)

Heiskanen played in the NHL at 19.

Wyatt Johnston full time NHLer at 19.

Robertson (60 games) and Hintz (91 games) did some AHL time but weren't 1st round pick either.

I am a fan of Dallas' method. Play the player whenever he is ready. Be it at 18 or at 21.
I don't want us to be too conservative with our prospects as it can discourage them.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Harley played some NHL games in between. Played 34 games at the same age as Mailloux (vs 27 in the AHL)

Robertson (60 games) and Hintz (91 games) did some AHL time but weren't 1st round pick either.

I am a fan of Dallas' method. Play the player whenever he is ready. Be it at 18 or at 21.
I don't want us to be too conservative with our prospects as it can discourage them.
Don't forget Bourque and Stankhoven who are dominating in the AHL.

Jul 6, 2016

The diffrence between Dallas and Habs is that the Stars have excellent vet players to surround the youth.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Timmins was back to doing well, after a long run of sucking:
2013: Lehkonen
2014: Evan's
2015: Nada (NHLer Juulsen)
2016: Sergachev
2017: Nada (NHLers Primeau, Poehling)
2018: Romanov (NHLers Harris, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen)
2019: Caufield, Struble, RHP
2020: Guhle (Tuch, Rarrell, Dobes)
2021: Mailloux, Roy (Kapanen, Trudeau)
Yeah, not bad but no star with his forwards skaters, except maybe Roy. Roy was a 5th round pick?
Not bad with his goalies too but the next good goalie was picked by Hughes : Fowler.
Good mention on Lehkonen. Caufield : they won on this one. They said it was a no-brainer at the time, heh?
Evans : mouahhh, ok, not more.

Just imagine if he stops partying too...
It depends in which way we want him to score.
Oups ... :sarcasm:

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, not bad but no star with his forwards skaters, except maybe Roy. Roy was a 5th round pick?
Not bad with his goalies too but the next good goalie was picked by Hughes : Fowler.
Good mention on Lehkonen. Caufield : they won on this one. They said it was a no-brainer at the time, heh?
Evans : mouahhh, ok, not more.

It depends in which way we want him to score.
Oups ... :sarcasm:
Hopefully Caufiled and Roy will be stars. But yeah, Timmins was much better at getting Dmen. Xhekaj was also brought in under his watch.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's only been 3 games but is Reinbacher ahead of Mailloux with defensive assignments? I don't see much of Laval's games just video highlights but saw Reinbacher ina few games and seeing live is way more helpfull than video.
He just landed on his new continent. His luggage is not all placed in furnitures yet. He doesn't have his toothbrush back, he lost it in the plane, lol. Nah, ... just jocking, he's gonna adapt to NA hockey style soon enough, In a year he'll be ready to nhl duty.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Hopefully Caufiled and Roy will be stars. But yeah, Timmins was much better at getting Dmen. Xhekaj was also brought in under his watch.
Timmins had the touch to get real good D, I give him a score of 85% with D and 90% on goalies. He should have keep into drafting D and G only and let the forwards someone else, someone with the touch with forwards.

Reactions: 26Mats

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I don’t watch enough games to talk about his entire season but watching the three games over the weekend and including one live, I have a hard time understanding the criticism about his defense. He often seemed like the best player on the ice to me, seems like he can only continue to grow in that aspect too
He has definitely gotten very comfortable at the AHL level. He is able to manoeuvre comfortably. He doesn't make too many mistakes anymore. It bodes well because the AHL is a very strong league and he is a rookie. It remains to be seen how he will deal with the NHL forecheckers. I expect him to be the long term 3rd best defenseman in Montreal behind Reinbacher and Guhle. I expect Montreal's defense to be very good.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Why do you think it's better since 2018? They started accumulating picks.

Timmins was back to doing well, after a long run of sucking:
2013: Lehkonen
2014: Evan's
2015: Nada (NHLer Juulsen)
2016: Sergachev
2017: Nada (NHLers Primeau, Poehling)
2018: Romanov (NHLers Harris, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen)
2019: Caufield, Struble, RHP
2020: Guhle (Tuch, Farrell, Dobes)
2021: Mailloux, Roy (Kapanen, Trudeau)

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He just landed on his new continent. His luggage is not all placed in furnitures yet. He doesn't have his toothbrush back, he lost it in the plane, lol. Nah, ... just jocking, he's gonna adapt to NA hockey style soon enough, In a year he'll be ready to nhl duty.
It won't surprsie me that Reinbacher is ready for the NHL ahead of Mailloux.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Very possible but the steps Mailloux took this season considering how little hockey he has played can't be overlooked. In other words...what does next year bring with Mailloux?
I'm not dumping on Logan,just from seeing both that Reinbacher seems more ready defensively but how it plays out is anybody's guess.

They are both equally good and dominant I find.
See what I said above?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Very possible but the steps Mailloux took this season considering how little hockey he has played can't be overlooked. In other words...what does next year bring with Mailloux?
Well said.

One of the great certainties is the uncertainness of most young player's development curve/pathway.

Based on his first 20 - 30 games. Mailloux looked and played like an ECHL level player. Slow to react, poor defensive positioning and a clear lack of explosiveness/urgency in his level of play. He looked clearly overmatched and that his missed years of development may well have formed an impossible challenge to overcome.

In his last 30 games, Mailloux's play has started to resemble aspects of his play in the OHL that made him, in this writer's opinion, an intriguing prospect. He's not there yet as a sure-fire NHLer, but all those intriguing aspects, passing and offensive vision, are starting to show more and more each game.

It will be interesting to see if this progression continues at next year's training camp or Mailloux's development has plateaued. If the former, it would not surprise this writer if Mailloux is one of the first Laval call ups. Even before Reinbacher.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Well said.

One of the great certainties is the uncertainness of most young player's development curve/pathway.

Based on his first 20 - 30 games. Mailloux looked and played like an ECHL level player. Slow to react, poor defensive positioning and a clear lack of explosiveness/urgency in his level of play. He looked clearly overmatched and that his missed years of development may well have formed an impossible challenge to overcome.

In his last 30 games, Mailloux's play has started to resemble aspects of his play in the OHL that made him, in this writer's opinion, an intriguing prospect. He's not there yet as a sure-fire NHLer, but all those intriguing aspects, passing and offensive vision, are starting to show more and more each game.

It will be interesting to see if this progression continues at next year's training camp or Mailloux's development has plateaued. If the former, it would not surprise this writer if Mailloux is one of the first Laval call ups. Even before Reinbacher.
That is why I said what I said. From what I saw of Mailloux from highlights and video,there were occasional gaffs but seeing Reinbacher play live a handful of games,he was not prone to those type mishaps. Entirely different team style and structure but you get the idea.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I would expect Reinbacher to be ahead of Mailloux development-wise just due to the lack of games Logan played in the OHL. He is progressing very quickly, like Xhekaj, but Reinbacher should be the more seasoned player. It's not a knock on Mailloux at all.

As much as I like Hutson, I can't shake the image of our top 4 being:

Guhle-Reinbacher (the all-situation pairing)
Xhekaj-Mailloux (they had chemistry before and are progressing well)

That looks like a top 4 that will kill it come playoff time. Hutson can play PP1 and 3rd pair 5v5.

Reactions: Tyson

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would expect Reinbacher to be ahead of Mailloux development-wise just due to the lack of games Logan played in the OHL. He is progressing very quickly, like Xhekaj, but Reinbacher should be the more seasoned player. It's not a knock on Mailloux at all.

As much as I like Hutson, I can't shake the image of our top 4 being:

Guhle-Reinbacher (the all-situation pairing)
Xhekaj-Mailloux (they had chemistry before and are progressing well)

That looks like a top 4 that will kill it come playoff time. Hutson can play PP1 and 3rd pair 5v5.

My guess and how I would run it would be

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Engstrom

And then if we are in the 3rd period where we are defending a lead, I'd move Engstrom up with Guhle and pair Xhekaj with Reinbacher. Then you can kind of use Hutson-Mailloux in o-zone starts, etc.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It won't surprsie me that Reinbacher is ready for the NHL ahead of Mailloux.
As he should….I’d like to see Mailloux in the A to start next season.

Another 40-50 games in Laval could prove instrumental in his development….Habs should bring him up for a few stints in season.

Savard should be traded by the deadline and the timing should be just right with Mailloux being ready for prime time and being a staple on this D for the next decade +!!

My guess and how I would run it would be

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Engstrom

And then if we are in the 3rd period where we are defending a lead, I'd move Engstrom up with Guhle and pair Xhekaj with Reinbacher. Then you can kind of use Hutson-Mailloux in o-zone starts, etc.
Engstrom can play the right side??

With Struble as your 7, this group looks really solid man

Pairings are solid as you have that mix of high risk offense paired with defensively sound responsible players

Last edited:
Reactions: rik schau

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Could he be the bait used this summer, to land us some scoring? Not saying they should, but could it happen??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad