Line Combos: Lineup 2017-2018 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if the team is any better, but I wouldn't claim it is automatically much worse as some are doing.

I'm curious to see how the D will share up with so many changes and additions.

I expect to have a better defensive D than last season with the departure of both Emelin and Beaulieu.

I don't expect to have a better D at skating the puck up the ice as we have had in the past, even once Subban had been traded. Beaulieu was perhaps the best skating D on the team, with all the brain farts on and off the ice that came with the man. Subtract those and he is still here, no doubt.

I'm less concerned with the skating up the ice part because most -- if not all -- our Ds are tagged as possessing a good first pass and being mobile along the blue line. Also, with Price's puck-handling skills, our Ds always look at least slightly better than they would on another team without a G that can kill opponents' offensive forays before they become established in the zone.

I'm really hoping that Bergevin can add a top-6 C without poaching Drouin (22), Galchenyuk (23), Pacioretty (28), Lehkonen (21) or Danault (24) from his lineup in the process.

I'm also hopeful that the incoming C will be 27 yrs-old or less to get enough prime years playing with our younger forward core. A younger C than that with strong indications of success at the NHL level would also warrant trading away 1st rounders and such futures, as it did for Drouin, IMHO. You lose out on potential prospects and prospect depth in the short run, but you gain an established youngster in the process that will play long enough to replenish the prospect pool and won't go through the hit or miss development process.

A veteran C can more easily be had for a playoff push at the trade deadline at an affordable price in terms of assets without touching the core players in your NHL lineup.

I expect Montreal to have added a key piece to their lineup (ideally up front) by the All-Star Game and for the trade deadline to be an interesting period of the year as we gear up for the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gallagher traded as part of a package for that addition to our lineup by the All-Star Game and even less surprised to have an onslaught of Bergevin-bashing as a result on these boards. I'm also plenty reassured that there will have been plenty of bashing before an eventual trade bolsters the lineup.

Impatience from the fan base present on these boards is somewhat unsettling and unrealistic. One minuscule move is generally portrayed as the end-all move for the GM and insistence on living in the moment precludes anything else from possibly happening. It just becomes ironic how the GM is called out as being short-sighted while the reactions on the boards to individual moves are exactly that -- Short-sighted!

Is the team currently definitely better? IMO, no. Does that mean it is condemned to remain that way throughout the season. Only to support posters' arguments if their end game is to be stoically negative to their dying breaths.

You can remain optimistic while being realistic that miracles won't necessarily happen. However, building a winning team takes timing and opportunity. That's where patience kicks in as those two tenets for success usually don't materialize -- for every missing piece on a team -- in the same three-day window.

Too much melodrama and sarcasm on these boards that make leaps in logic to justify end-of-days scenarios; Hemsky preferred to Radulov statements and other such nonsense. It's obvious that, from a hockey standpoint, Bergevin would have preferred Radulov in the lineup, but we are made to waste time on such asinine statements time and time again.

When one points out absurdities like these, they are painted into a corner as pro Bergevin disciples and there inevitably isn't any discussion developing afterwards.

It's somewhat annoying to see.

Scriptor!!!

Thank you for a very sensible post. It's rare.

It's nice to hear someone take into account the many factors that are todays NHL. It's not as simple as many of us make it out to be and good timing and good luck are part of the equation.

I agree that the current roster seems close to a step sideways. For me the hope is that Claude Julien is a better coach and that we have given him the type of defense corps that he will be able to do his magic with.

Ultimately Bergevin has put more work into this D group than any other area. I think at this point the whole group has been hand selected by him. Most people see this group as being a huge downgrade from last years group, but I'm willing to give it some time. I definitely was pleasantly surprised when we got Benn and Petry...hoping for the same with Alzner and Schlemko...but we will have to see.

Anyways, please keep taking the time to post thoughtful responses. They are much appreciated!

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin
Lekhonen - Galch - Gallagher
Byron - Pleks - Hemsky
JDR - Mitchell - Shaw
McCarron/Hudon

Streit/Jebarak - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko
Davidson

Price
Montoya

Playoff team as long as Price is once again in the Vezina running... if he gets hurt, at least we'll make a run at a lottery pick!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Scriptor!!!

Thank you for a very sensible post. It's rare.

It's nice to hear someone take into account the many factors that are todays NHL. It's not as simple as many of us make it out to be and good timing and good luck are part of the equation.

I agree that the current roster seems close to a step sideways. For me the hope is that Claude Julien is a better coach and that we have given him the type of defense corps that he will be able to do his magic with.

Ultimately Bergevin has put more work into this D group than any other area. I think at this point the whole group has been hand selected by him. Most people see this group as being a huge downgrade from last years group, but I'm willing to give it some time. I definitely was pleasantly surprised when we got Benn and Petry...hoping for the same with Alzner and Schlemko...but we will have to see.

Anyways, please keep taking the time to post thoughtful responses. They are much appreciated!

Thanks for the sentiment.

IMO, landing a top-6 C without amputating the roster of Galchenyuk, Drouin, Pacioretty, Lehkonen or Danault would do the team wonders.

A young player like Hudon or a veteran like Hemsky would have to help round out the top 6 and one of Galchenyuk or Drouin would have to play as the other top-6 C if Gallagher were sacrificed as part of a trade, for example. That way, keeping Danault as the 3rd line C gives the team a much deeper Center line and a much more balanced Offense in the process.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities to see such an addition, despite what some might believe/disbelieve.

I'm also willing to see the results with all the new Ds (there are so many, including Benn and Davidson who weren't here that long) before I cast a stone at Bergevin.

We have to keep in mind that Julien has a defensive system whose principal purpose is to recover the the puck as quickly as possible. Perhaps the Ds assembled by Bergevin can do just that better than the previous Ds did in Montreal.

Additions of Drouin and Hemsky, as well s the re-signing of Galchenyuk confirm an element of speed up front, an element that could benefit from good first passes from the back end, something the newly acquired Ds are supposed to have as a skill.

Let's see...

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Pacioretty - Drouin - Shaw
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Hemsky
Byron - Plekanec - Gallagher
JDLR - Danault - Mitchell

...all defensive assignments at home go to the third line to make it bearable. A little too out there?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin
Lekhonen - Galch - Gallagher
Byron - Pleks - Hemsky
JDR - Mitchell - Shaw
McCarron/Hudon

Streit/Jebarak - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - Schlemko
Davidson

Price
Montoya

Playoff team as long as Price is once again in the Vezina running... if he gets hurt, at least we'll make a run at a lottery pick!

Maybe, maybe not. I agree that Price is instrumental for our team's success, as he should, considering he is one of the league's premiere goaltenders and that's usually where the buck/puck stops.

I'm more confident, with Lindgren in the wings, that a younger G could step up and perform adequately in nets in case of a long absence from Price.

What we would likely not succeed in replacing, though, is Price's ability to recover, handle and transition the puck in his own end. That would put more pressure on the newly assembled D that hasn't had the time to familiarize themselves with each other yet.

The forwards would have to chip in and the payers would have to truly buy into the concept of playing as a unit in all zones. That would mean playoff hockey, even during the regular season, but, if the players agree to do so, the bond created would be a good thing.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

...all defensive assignments at home go to the third line to make it bearable. A little too out there?

Maybe, a bit, as this, also, perhaps:

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Byron/Hudon - Galchenyuk - Lehkonen
Hudon/Byron - Danault - Hemsky
JDLR - Plekanec - Shaw

Mitchell

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Maybe, a bit, as this, also, perhaps:

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Byron/Hudon - Galchenyuk - Lehkonen
Hudon/Byron - Danault - Hemsky
JDLR - Plekanec - Shaw

Mitchell

Giving yet another shot at c to Galchenyuk is already a stretch. Switching Drouin to 1c is dreaming. Sure they can lineup there and play but will they be less effective than on the wings? The Byron-Hudon duo is scary and sophomore slump is something Lekkonen can go through too.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
I actually asked 92 the question, he kind of chuckled and said i'm not a great center. Much better winger, so i am guessing there is zero chance he plays center.

get25

Oct 17, 2015

Back in 2014-15, Gallagher had 47 points: more than Hemsky had in the last 4-5 years.
In 2015-16, he played only 53 games and got 40 points: pace of 29.4 G and 61.9 points.

I do not see Gallagher out of top-6.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Giving yet another shot at c to Galchenyuk is already a stretch. Switching Drouin to 1c is dreaming. Sure they can lineup there and play but will they be less effective than on the wings? The Byron-Hudon duo is scary and sophomore slump is something Lekkonen can go through too.

I don't actually think this lineup will happen. Personally, as I posted elsewhere, without any personnel movement, I'd like to see:

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher (Cycle game from Danault & Gallagher to feed Pacioretty/defensively sound)

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Lehkonen (speed, skill and D-awareness from Lehkonen. Match the line with the right Ds to insulate it defensively.)

Byron - Hudon - Hemsky (speed on both wings to exploit Hudon's vision and defensively sound -- although not very big. As a third line, speed can kill as it once did with the smurf line)

Martinsen - Plekanec - Shaw (shutdown line with Martinsen to hit a little)

Yes Danault as a top-6 C and Galchenyuk getting another try as there are no other options. It's not like Plekanec should be there and it certainly won't be as bad as some make it out to be. This, IMHO, is a balanced Offense for a team with enough skill/talent to score from three lines.

If you can add a top-6 C that can also play 200 ft hockey while sacrificing Gallagher +, you switch Galchenyuk to RW and play him and Drouin on both sides of the newly acquired C for a helluva line.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Back in 2014-15, Gallagher had 47 points: more than Hemsky had in the last 4-5 years.
In 2015-16, he played only 53 games and got 40 points: pace of 29.4 G and 61.9 points.

I do not see Gallagher out of top-6.

I agree with you, but I see him as the only real trading chip left, along with our Cap room, some draft picks and a prospect to acquire a genuine, young top-6 C.

If Bergevin trades for a C, it will likely involve Gallagher or, if we're lucky, futures only. Trading Pacioretty, Galchenyuk or Drouin wouldn't improve the team and losing Lehkonen and Danault would be putting too much pressure on the Cap going forward, IMO.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
We should have tried Galchenyuk in center in his first three seasons.
He was only given center duties in the last two years.

At that time, we had Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller as centers.

Now Desharnais and Eller are gone.
Next year, Plekanec is gone. Who will be our third center?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We should have tried Galchenyuk in center in his first three seasons.
He was only given center duties in the last two years.

At that time, we had Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller as centers.

Now Desharnais and Eller are gone.
Next year, Plekanec is gone. Who will be our third center?[/QUOTE]

Danault.

Galchenyuk and an acquired C will be the first two Cs, not necessarily in that order, IMHO. Either that or Danault proves that he can be a 2nd line C (continued progression?) and another C steps up for third line duties (Hudon? McCarron?)

I'd go with the first scenario where Danault is our 3rd line C, personally.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

We might have had this roster and be left with virtually the same cap space we have now.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Backlund-Drouin
Hudon/Byron-Danault-Shaw
Byron/Hudon-DLR-McCarron

Gallagher for Backlund + Poirier

Much superior to the current lineup IMO.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
We might have had this roster and be left with virtually the same cap space we have now.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Backlund-Drouin
Hudon/Byron-Danault-Shaw
Byron/Hudon-DLR-McCarron

Gallagher for Backlund + Poirier

Much superior to the current lineup IMO.

Bad trade for MTL IMO. I'd rather have Danault 2nd center and Gallagher on 3rd line with Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Radulov, Lehkonen, Drouin, Danault in top 6. (But no Radulov now, so Gallagher in top 6).

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-Mitchell-Shaw
Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky
DeLaRose

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-Mitchell-Shaw
Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky
DeLaRose

Why not. My only real concern is playing Hudon with Plekanec. What a way to make sure the kid doesn't do himself any sort of justice and gets traded or waived.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why not. My only real concern is playing Hudon with Plekanec. What a way to make sure the kid doesn't do himself any sort of justice and gets traded or waived.

Hemsky is a good playmaker and could benefit Hudon. And they need a decent defensive center on that line, still rather have Plekanec than Mitchell.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Maybe, maybe not. I agree that Price is instrumental for our team's success, as he should, considering he is one of the league's premiere goaltenders and that's usually where the buck/puck stops.

I'm more confident, with Lindgren in the wings, that a younger G could step up and perform adequately in nets in case of a long absence from Price.

What we would likely not succeed in replacing, though, is Price's ability to recover, handle and transition the puck in his own end. That would put more pressure on the newly assembled D that hasn't had the time to familiarize themselves with each other yet.

The forwards would have to chip in and the payers would have to truly buy into the concept of playing as a unit in all zones. That would mean playoff hockey, even during the regular season, but, if the players agree to do so, the bond created would be a good thing.

i think we are in for a "suprise" as to just how important Markov was to our team...

Weber-Alzner-Petry-Benn-Schlemko-Streit... there is a very good possibility that our offense suffers without quality transition play from the back end that Markov (and to a lesser degree, Beaulieu) represented.

Alzner struggles in that area, Streit will struggle to gain trust from Julien to play more than bottom-pairing minutes (not that he could handle more than that), and i've got very minimal faith that Schlemko will play well enough for more than journeyman minutes.

Will hinge heavily on wether or not Petry is ready to take a big step forward, 50/50 is the best i'd give that.

and that doesn't even factor in how much the loss of radulov will affect things (expecting Drouin to step in and match/exceed Radulov's impact last year is putting a lot of faith & pressure on a young, unproven, player).

when/if the offense regresses from what was a pretty mediocre level last year, Price will need to be at his best just to keep us above fighting for our playoff lives... as solid as montoya may be, or as ready as lingren may prove to be, neither can give us Vezina/MVP level goaltending, and that's wha tthis roster will need as it stands today if we are going to be a lock for the playoffs.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
There are bigger issues. For example, that defense is just :help:

Could've had

McDonagh - Subban
Markov - XXXXX
XXXXX - XXXXX

for the past 7 years. I'm confident that top 3 would've got us to the cup final at least once. Now none of those players are in the organization and we have overpaid slugs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad