Line Combos: Lineup 2017-2018 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
People get too caught up with this needs to fit with that. Sometimes the best lines are all guys who play a similar style and they just gel. I could see a Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher line clicking as a sort of "Buzzsaw Line" where they just are tenacious and cycle the puck.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
People get too caught up with this needs to fit with that. Sometimes the best lines are all guys who play a similar style and they just gel. I could see a Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher line clicking as a sort of "Buzzsaw Line" where they just are tenacious and cycle the puck.

Agreed. In today's Hockey you don't have definite lines. All will depends on how the game is being played out.

You can model your lines as depicted in the article, the true art is knowing when to use them - and that is all on the coach.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Drouin
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Byron-Danault-Shaw

The bottom line is too tough. I could legitimately see Hemsky, McCarron, Mitchell, Martinsen, Hudon or De La Rose being on it. I guess it depends on what kind of 4th line Julien wants.

Streit-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Benn

Price

This is kind of what I envision with the roster that's there now. The defense isn't as bad as people make it out to be and the centre depth is still bad.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
who do you reccomen, an article on eyes on the prize showed galchenyuk as one of our best playmakers in terms of advanced stats

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...n-galchenyuk-first-line-centre-plekanec-hudon

Advance stats indicate Galchenyuk is the team's best playmaker. Also Julien likes size and grit on the 4th line.

Patches-Danault-Drouin
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Shaw-Plekanec-Hudon/Hemsky
Martinsen-Holland-Byron

He might be one of the best playmakers on this team because this team has close to no playmakers at all...

But I think we can agree that he's a much better shooter than he's a playmaker.Who is going to set him up on that line? Gallagher?Lehkonen?

Those guys are not good passers.

If Galchenyuk is going to play center and you want to see him score 30 goals he'll need someone to give him the puck from the wing so he can use his shot.

One of Drouin, Hemsky or Hudon needs to be on his line IMO as all those guys can pass the puck pretty well and make plays.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He might be one of the best playmakers on this team because this team has close to no playmakers at all...

But I think we can agree that he's a much better shooter than he's a playmaker.Who is going to set him up on that line? Gallagher?Lehkonen?

If Galchenyuk is going to play center and you want to see him score 30 goals he'll need someone to give him the puck from the wing so he can use his shot.

One of Drouin, Hemsky or Hudon needs to be on his line IMO as all those guys can pass the puck pretty well and make plays.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky
Byron-DeLaRose-Shaw

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Why some people put Byron on 4th line? 22 goals last season... good in PK... he is a good third liner.

Byron and Plekanec... it's on third line IMO. Hemsky or Shaw gonna be RW with #41 and #14.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why some people put Byron on 4th line? 22 goals last season... good in PK... he is a good third liner.

Byron and Plekanec... it's on third line IMO. Hemsky or Shaw gonna be RW with #41 and #14.

One of Shaw, Hemsky or Byron will be on the 4th, maybe even two of them if Hudon makes the top 9.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
One of Shaw, Hemsky or Byron will be on the 4th, maybe even two of them if Hudon makes the top 9.

I like Shaw, but he is the most "4th liner type player" than Byron and Hemsky (he isn't top 6 anymore, but Hemsky can put 30-35 points if he is healthy).

But yeah if Hudon make the team, he is going to be playing on top 9. If no, it's bad for him on 4th liner.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky
Byron-DeLaRose-Shaw

2nd leading goal scorer and terrific PK player on the 4th line is just ridiculous. Byron has earned the right to be a 3rd line tweener that can play up on the 2nd or first in case of injuries. Ridiculous how we sometimes under value played. Hemsky and hudon ahead of Byron. Lol

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky
Byron-DeLaRose-Shaw

I personally don't like seeing Pacioretty and Chucky playing together because they both like to shot the puck and one of them becomes a setup man by default when they play together therefore somewhat negating their main force.

I would have them on separate lines so that they can each shot the puck as often as possible.

Ideally, you would have a shooter, a playmaker and a guy that goes hard to the net and is good at deflecting pucks and jumping on rebounds like Gallagher.

The problem is that we lack playmakers IMO.

But your lineup is probably one of the versions they'll try in the pre season before making the final decision.

I think Drouin will definitely get a shot at center at least in those pre seasons games.

Because Byron can be effective no matter on what line he plays.

Hemsky and Hudon on a 4th line are not well suited.

If Hudon makes the team Byron will probably play on the 4th line.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I can see this lineup to start the season :

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Lekhonen
Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky/Shaw
Hemsky/Shaw - Mitchell - McCarron

Alzner - Weber
Jerabek - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Drouin-Danault-Lehkonen
Hudon-Plekanec-Hemsky
Byron-DeLaRose-Shaw

This is probably the best we can do, given what we've got.

But Galchenyuk on the first line is unfortunately a question mark at this point. And Danault on the second line is just not pretty (he should be on the 3rd).

We need a top 6 center, plain and simple.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

But Galchenyuk on the first line is unfortunately a question mark at this point. And Danault on the second line is just not pretty (he should be on the 3rd).

Danault can handle the second line if Drouin sparks the offensive side. The key is Galchenyuk returning to Feb-Dec 2016 form,. If he could get 45 points and a +9 over 46 games, perhaps he can produce 70 points over 82 games with Patches and Gallagher.

What is nice about the 27-67 combo is that they are a dual threat and harder to counter than Danault-Pacioretty. Meanwhile, Drouin could be just the kind of creative player that Lehkonen could score 25 with, if not this year, then next year.

If we go with this lineup, we should use the cap space to pry a LHD loose who can play with Weber, and help the D get the puck safely out of our zone and to the forwards. Julien needs to install his system.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I personally don't like seeing Pacioretty and Chucky playing together because they both like to shot the puck and one of them becomes a setup man by default when they play together therefore somewhat negating their main force.

I understand but look at it differently. When they actually played together in the Spring of 2016, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty were a deadly combo because BOTH were threats to score, making it harder to defend against that line.

And having Gallagher as the third player on the line improves their defensive zone play to the point where they should not be too vulnerable, nor should Drouin hae too much trouble if he has Danault and Lehkonen with him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

THIS! The funny thing is that the post following yours completely ignored this very valid observation. lol

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

The whole line is a question mark at this point.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
[/B]

THIS! The funny thing is that the post following yours completely ignored this very valid observation. lol

One would think it would be the natural progression of this trade to play your two young 3rd overall picks together.

Byron - Plekanec - Shaw/Hemsky

I don't hate it , obviously we would be in better position with Plekanec out , Danault in his place and the acquisition of a another top 6 C but I'm not holding my breath.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Patch Galchenyuk Drouin

Lehkonen Plekanec Hemsky

Shaw Danault Gallagher

Byron DLR Mitchell

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
One would think it would be the natural progression of this trade to play your two young 3rd overall picks together.

Byron - Plekanec - Shaw/Hemsky

I don't hate it , obviously we would be in better position with Plekanec out , Danault in his place and the acquisition of a another top 6 C but I'm not holding my breath.

Just flip Danault and Galchenyuk. Puts threats on both lines and eliminates any need for sheltering, which is hard to do when playing your top line 20 minutes per game, especially on the road.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Just flip Danault and Galchenyuk. Puts threats on both lines and eliminates any need for sheltering, which is hard to do when playing your top line 20 minutes per game, especially on the road.

No need to shelter , live and die with your duo. What we are doing today clearly isn't working so trying something different can't hurt.

I for one will predict what I think will be our starting line-up (not my ideal but what I think our management will push for) :

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Shaw
Martinsen - Mitchell - Hemsky

What I would personally like to see :

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty- Danault - Lekhonen
Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky/Shaw
Mitchell - McCarron - Shaw/Hemsky

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
With Julien's system, where puck mover on defence was not a popular thing in his Boston days, i could see Julien loving Lernout and him making the team.

Alzner-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Benn-Lernout
Streit
Morrow
Davidson

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
With Julien's system, where puck mover on defence was not a popular thing in his Boston days, i could see Julien loving Lernout and him making the team.

Alzner-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Benn-Lernout
Streit
Morrow
Davidson

Poor Jerabek never stood a chance :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad