Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thanks for the heads up. "Fugueuse" as in an adolescent that runs away from home, which is the usual meaning attributed to the word? What do you like about it?
Its a pretty raw look at the underground world of prostitution and how young women get dragged in to it, often times unbeknownst to them.

I found the psychological mind games the pimps play with the women to make them believe they are doing what they do because they want too, as opposed to being forced too, fascinating (and disgusting at the same time.

My sister works in a center for troubled youths and she always used to tell me crazy stories about runaway girls and how they ended up in those centers....

Have you seen it?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its a pretty raw look at the underground world of prostitution and how young women get dragged in to it, often times unbeknownst to them.

I found the psychological mind games the pimps play with the women to make them believe they are doing what they do because they want too, as opposed to being forced too, fascinating (and disgusting at the same time.

My sister works in a center for troubled youths and she always used to tell me crazy stories about runaway girls and how they ended up in those centers....

Have you seen it?

Thanks providing more feedback. Had not seen or heard of it for that matter for the usual reasons -- there's just too much stuff out there and a thread like this allows us to pick up on material that we can't always be on top of.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well you probably will be disappointed with the CGI action in BP too then.

I take it there's more CGI than actual acting situations? I'm not against CGI, just when it's really overwhelming, there's no big difference between using real actors and resorting to animated characters.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Thanks for the heads up. Was Looming Tower picked up by any of the major services, since Hulu is not available in Canada. Of course, can always find it on my laptop but prefer to watch shows from a TV set.

Checked the reviews on Seven Seconds, some good scores but they say it's extremely slow.

As for Taboo, what are you waiting for? You're sitting on one amazing series.

Not sure about the Looming Tower in Canada. I just noticed it on one of my go to TV sites and I "borrow" :) it until I can get to watch it. Haven't watched any episodes yet thought and will likely wait until I can "borrow" all episodes before watching. :)

I'm trying to catch up on some of my other shows I haven't watched yet so I'll get to Taboo soon I hope. Just finished up the new Strike Back and even though the old Strike Back was much better it was still interesting enough to follow through with until the end. I also have McMafia, American Crime Story, Collateral, Waco, Jessica Jones season 2, Homeland, Narcos season 2 and 3, Bancroft, plus others on the go to catch up on so this might take a while. :)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I take it there's more CGI than actual acting situations? I'm not against CGI, just when it's really overwhelming, there's no big difference between using real actors and resorting to animated characters.
Ya there is a lot of it. Most superhero flicks.
I personally didn't like BP. If it was one of the first ones that I see, then I probably would have enjoyed it.
But now I just found it to be just one of the many others.

Of course, the social aspect of it makes it a bit different. For that, it's good, but from an entertainment standpoint...it's meh.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Have you seen it?

For the few parts I watched it was pretty good for but whatever reasons I keep missing it. My niece who's 18 loves this show.

Reactions: 417 and Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Have you seen it?

I've seen portions of it, it's actually pretty good. They get the psychological trauma part really well.

Really impressed by the performance of Jean-Francois Ruel from the Dead Obies. Not sure if he's ever acted before.

Reactions: 417

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I start watching gomorra. An italian serie, its pretty good.

That's based on a book that was an international best seller a few years ago. Where are you watching it? Is it in Italian with English subtitles?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not sure about the Looming Tower in Canada. I just noticed it on one of my go to TV sites and I "borrow" :) it until I can get to watch it. Haven't watched any episodes yet thought and will likely wait until I can "borrow" all episodes before watching. :)

I'm trying to catch up on some of my other shows I haven't watched yet so I'll get to Taboo soon I hope. Just finished up the new Strike Back and even though the old Strike Back was much better it was still interesting enough to follow through with until the end. I also have McMafia, American Crime Story, Collateral, Waco, Jessica Jones season 2, Homeland, Narcos season 2 and 3, Bancroft, plus others on the go to catch up on so this might take a while. :)

You've got quite the waiting list. From those, I've been watching American Crime Story (delivers, casting is great and the guy who plays the serial killer is chilling) and Homeland. I've noticed for this season how Homeland added a couple of character actors that were very effective in other series (namely the actor who played no-nonsense police chief in Banshee) and another one who I can't remember right now. Once again, the show delivers.

Reactions: sheed36

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I loved Black Panther personally...and not for social reasons, I just found it sick.

I recently started watching a french series on TVA called "Fugueuse"...that show is insane, totally not what I expected.
Really? What did you find made it sick?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
For anyone who also enjoyed Jack Taylor on Netflix there are 3 new episodes to appreciate.

Netflix is weird with this show. It should be series 3 but they count the whole thing as 1 season. Thwy did it with another UK show, either Luther or Top Boy can't remember which.

If you like Iain Glen in GoT you will enjoy this series.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
A french village (Un village français): 7.3/10

Good show except the last 6 episodes.

Annihilation: 6.8/10 Good visuals in an average movie.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Really? What did you find made it sick?
I'm not into super hero type of movies typically. So the stuff that turned you off actually impressed me. I went with my son and he also loved it.

I'm also a big Michael B. Jordan fan as well...

I didn't even know that a marvel character called Black Panther existed 2 months ago to be honest.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not into super hero type of movies typically. So the stuff that turned you off actually impressed me. I went with my son and he also loved it.

I'm also a big Michael B. Jordan fan as well...

I didn't even know that a marvel character called Black Panther existed 2 months ago to be honest.
I guess if you rarely ever watch superhero movies then I see why you would enjoy.
I also would have if I hadn't seen so many before.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I watched the first two seasons and a couple episodes of the 3rd. I totally get it’s intended to be more over the top and such, but I am having a hard time getting into it now. Of all things, it’s the acting that is wearing thin on me.

Maybe I am also suffering from zombie fatigue. I haven’t been enjoying The Walking Dead last few years though I still like Fear.
I like pretty much anything zombie related. I got fed up with the walking dead since its beem the same thing for so long. I really enjoy the characters, Murphy is hilarious.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I definitely recommend you watch all of it...worth it imo

For those who are Videotron subscribers, Episodes 1 through 10 of Fugueuse are available free on demand on channel 900, until April 29th. Each episode runs approx. 46 minutes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sometime in January, one of this forum's inveterate film buffs, GoodKiwi, had asked what new series of interest were upcoming for the current season.

I had looked into several reviews and one that had caught my attention is Counterpart. I'm deep into it now, it's riveting. JK Simmons is absolutely fabulous.

Without offering any spoilers, the show is premised on a parallel world that is accessible via the underbelly of a building in Germany, where in that world there exist the exact same individuals than in the first world. I'm usually turned off by actors that play two roles and appear on camera simultaneously, not many can pull it off and usually you start to wonder how come they couldn't just get a different actor rather than have the same one play two parts.

Not in Counterpart, since as the name suggests, having the same character play his double, is absolutely a prerequisite but not just that, the actors that play both roles and who are being tracked in both worlds, do so in a very convincing manner, especially that the double they are playing does not own the same personality and mannerisms.

If you're looking for a great concept to get into, Counterpart delivers.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Sometime in January, one of this forum's inveterate film buffs, GoodKiwi, had asked what new series of interest were upcoming for the current season.

I had looked into several reviews and one that had caught my attention is Counterpart. I'm deep into it now, it's riveting. JK Simmons is absolutely fabulous.

Without offering any spoilers, the show is premised on a parallel world that is accessible via the underbelly of a building in Germany, where in that world there exist the exact same individuals than in the first world. I'm usually turned off by actors that play two roles and appear on camera simultaneously, not many can pull it off and usually you start to wonder how come they couldn't just get a different actor rather than have the same one play two parts.

Not in Counterpart, since as the name suggests, having the same character play his double, is absolutely a prerequisite but not just that, the actors that play both roles and who are being tracked in both worlds, do so in a very convincing manner, especially that the double they are playing does not own the same personality and mannerisms.

If you're looking for a great concept to get into, Counterpart delivers.

Yeah cant wait to jump into that one, will wait til the season is over, but it looks great, and huge jk simmons fan

Meanwhile im watching Dark from netflix

petty good so far thru 5 episodes/10

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I like pretty much anything zombie related. I got fed up with the walking dead since its beem the same thing for so long. I really enjoy the characters, Murphy is hilarious.

I like Murphy as well as Doc. Doc really cracks me up.

The production company which makes Z Nation also made a number of other zombie movies. I don't recall the name of many but I've seen a ton on Space channel. They weren't well acted and they are also heavy on the cheese humour, but they are a change of pace from typical zombie fare.
Did you enjoy Dawn of the Dead (2004)?

I personally loved that movie. I certainly wouldn't mind a Day of the Dead remake as well.

Back to Romero, another movie I thought was not bad was Land of the Dead where zombies have pretty much taken over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad