Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Sometime in January, one of this forum's inveterate film buffs, GoodKiwi, had asked what new series of interest were upcoming for the current season.

I had looked into several reviews and one that had caught my attention is Counterpart. I'm deep into it now, it's riveting. JK Simmons is absolutely fabulous.

Without offering any spoilers, the show is premised on a parallel world that is accessible via the underbelly of a building in Germany, where in that world there exist the exact same individuals than in the first world. I'm usually turned off by actors that play two roles and appear on camera simultaneously, not many can pull it off and usually you start to wonder how come they couldn't just get a different actor rather than have the same one play two parts.

Not in Counterpart, since as the name suggests, having the same character play his double, is absolutely a prerequisite but not just that, the actors that play both roles and who are being tracked in both worlds, do so in a very convincing manner, especially that the double they are playing does not own the same personality and mannerisms.

If you're looking for a great concept to get into, Counterpart delivers.

It's been very good, really enjoying it

Reactions: Runner77

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
That's based on a book that was an international best seller a few years ago. Where are you watching it? Is it in Italian with English subtitles?

I only found it in french on some streaming website hds. 3 seasons total. I thought it was pretty good overall.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I started to watch Black Sail. After Game of Thrones, Vikings and Banshee, I found a new badass show to get my freak on. Tons of fights and sex. I wonder if pirates were really that way, it must have been cool to have that kind of freedom. I lived like this for a whole summer when I was younger and it's something I'll always remember. Guys were meant to live like that.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I like Murphy as well as Doc. Doc really cracks me up.

The production company which makes Z Nation also made a number of other zombie movies. I don't recall the name of many but I've seen a ton on Space channel. They weren't well acted and they are also heavy on the cheese humour, but they are a change of pace from typical zombie fare.

I personally loved that movie. I certainly wouldn't mind a Day of the Dead remake as well.

Back to Romero, another movie I thought was not bad was Land of the Dead where zombies have pretty much taken over.

I think Dawn of the Dead is incredible myself

Reactions: sandviper

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The Talented Mr Ripley. Ok ,what's it worth as a movie. It's a psychological thriller with too much details. The scenarist failed to know that the viewer isn't so ignorant to comprehend the concept. Boredom took place at the middle of the movie. The themes are solitude, manipulation, lying,etc.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The topic of American Gods came up in another thread and thought it might be a good time to get feedback on how much you liked Season 1.

RT reviews are glowing:

Critics Consensus: American Gods opens with a series of wildly ambitious gambits -- and rewards viewers' faith with a promising first season whose visual riches are matched by its narrative impact.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The topic of American Gods came up in another thread and thought it might be a good time to get feedback on how much you liked Season 1.

RT reviews are glowing:
Just finished season 1 a couple weeks ago, i watched the finale twice, it was that good i thought

Its hard not to be a fan of Ian McShane, and he's fantastic here as well, almost Al Swearinger level good

i truly loved being as confused as the main character, and on purpose, you're supposed to be on the same ride as shadow, so much to take in, pretty interresting characters, interesting plot, and they shot it pretty stylistically appealing, well put together imo

eagerly anticipate season 2

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just finished season 1 a couple weeks ago, i watched the finale twice, it was that good i thought

Its hard not to be a fan of Ian McShane, and he's fantastic here as well, almost Al Swearinger level good

i truly loved being as confused as the main character, and on purpose, you're supposed to be on the same ride as shadow, so much to take in, pretty interresting characters, interesting plot, and they shot it pretty stylistically appealing, well put together imo

eagerly anticipate season 2

McShane was good casting, he is pretty similar to the character of the book, sort of an old pirate.

He's a God but I'm not telling who he is.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good news re American Gods for those of us in Canada who could only see it via internet streaming -- just now found this:

Super Channel is pleased to announce that it has acquired the exclusive Canadian broadcast rights to the critically acclaimed television series, American Gods, from FremantleMedia International. The eight-episode first season, produced by FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) and adapted from Neil Gaiman’s bestselling contemporary fantasy novel, will premiere in Spring 2018 and also be available to subscribers on Super Channel On Demand.

Super Channel acquires American Gods from FremantleMedia International | Super Channel

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I was wondering if they'd tell me in the season finale or in the next season, i loved how much respect Mr. World gave him when they met lol

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I've tried many new shows recently, but meh.. nothing to keep me hooked and going.

So since I was planning on watching season 11 of The X-Files, i decided to re-watch some of my fav episodes, starting with Dreamland part 1&2, which features Michael McKeen as Area 51 man in black, Fletcher Morris. A freaky friday body switch happens between him and Fox. I had never seen McKeen before that first viewing, or hadn't noticed him if I had seen him.

I mention him in particular because when I watched it yesterday, I saw the writer names of that specific episode. Now, I haven't been that kinda guy in over a decade, the kind who'll go look at all the actor names and directors, writers and producers of a show or movie I like, so I never knew that Vince Gilligan wrote on the X-files.

And boy..oy oy.. I watched at least a dozen episodes since re-watching Dreamland and started noticing a lot of things Breaking Bad related, and Better Call Saul, by extention.

A lot of the dialogues I noticed were very similar to BB. Even some of the off-screen/never-to-be-seen character names, like when one of Fox or Dana or whoever, mentions talking on the phone to a Mrs Ermantrout. There's a Mr Mayhew somewhere too, we hear about, but never see.

It's crazy the plethora of actors that have been on the X-files. Thing is, i'm impressed by Gilligan. X-files, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. Some of my favorite shows of the last 25 years. Can't wait to see what he'll do next.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I've tried many new shows recently, but meh.. nothing to keep me hooked and going.

So since I was planning on watching season 11 of The X-Files, i decided to re-watch some of my fav episodes, starting with Dreamland part 1&2, which features Michael McKeen as Area 51 man in black, Fletcher Morris. A freaky friday body switch happens between him and Fox. I had never seen McKeen before that first viewing, or hadn't noticed him if I had seen him.

I mention him in particular because when I watched it yesterday, I saw the writer names of that specific episode. Now, I haven't been that kinda guy in over a decade, the kind who'll go look at all the actor names and directors, writers and producers of a show or movie I like, so I never knew that Vince Gilligan wrote on the X-files.

And boy..oy oy.. I watched at least a dozen episodes since re-watching Dreamland and started noticing a lot of things Breaking Bad related, and Better Call Saul, by extention.

A lot of the dialogues I noticed were very similar to BB. Even some of the off-screen/never-to-be-seen character names, like when one of Fox or Dana or whoever, mentions talking on the phone to a Mrs Ermantrout. There's a Mr Mayhew somewhere too, we hear about, but never see.

It's crazy the plethora of actors that have been on the X-files. Thing is, i'm impressed by Gilligan. X-files, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. Some of my favorite shows of the last 25 years. Can't wait to see what he'll do next.

That episode is probably my favorite. Not only is McKean amazing as always, but Duchovny was a hoot to watch too.

I'm a huge mark for McKean. This Is Spinal Tap. Need I say more?

"I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf" :biglaugh:

Classic.

David St. Hubbins FTW :yo:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That episode is probably my favorite. Not only is McKean amazing as always, but Duchovny was a hoot to watch too.

I'm a huge mark for McKean. This Is Spinal Tap. Need I say more?

"I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf" :biglaugh:

Classic.

David St. Hubbins FTW :yo:

You probably watched Better Call Saul? Never seen McKean as epic as in ep 5 of season 3.

Wonder if the show is gonna be as good if Chuck McGill isn't in it anymore.

"I know you. I know what you were, what you are. People don't change! You're Slippin' Jimmy! And Slippin' Jimmy I can handle just fine, but Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun!"

Reactions: Bloumeister

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You probably watched Better Call Saul? Never seen McKean as epic as in ep 5 of season 3.

Wonder if the show is gonna be as good if Chuck McGill isn't in it anymore.

"I know you. I know what you were, what you are. People don't change! You're Slippin' Jimmy! And Slippin' Jimmy I can handle just fine, but Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is like a chimp with a machine gun!"
I got tired of Chuck. I really love the show but at some point...time to move on.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
demolition man is ****ing good

It's one of my favorite cheese movies. I mean, it's stupid and over the top but I must have seen that movie like a dozen times.

Sandra Bullock: Let's blow this guy!
Stallone: Let's blow this guy away...

On the topic of Stallone, Tango and Cash, another silly movie, ranks right up there among my favorites of his.

"What's F.U.B.A.R.?"

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If anyone here is a fan of "The Wire" and really, everyone should be lol.

Then you'll love "The Chi".

Big fan of this show

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If anyone here is a fan of "The Wire" and really, everyone should be lol.

Then you'll love "The Chi".

Big fan of this show
That is a high standard to put a show at. I'll give it a go.

I find "Seven Seconds" tried to do a version of "The Shield", was quite disappointed. Hopefully that won't happen with this show.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That is a high standard to put a show at. I'll give it a go.

I find "Seven Seconds" tried to do a version of "The Shield", was quite disappointed. Hopefully that won't happen with this show.
It definitely is...

It's not quite up to The Wire standards...but it's similar.

The inner city story lines and how they're separate but all tie in together are very similar to The Wire.

It's not as deep...but still an excellent show, I'll be shocked if you don't like it, assuming you're as big a fan of The Wire as I am.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It definitely is...

It's not quite up to The Wire standards...but it's similar.

The inner city story lines and how they're separate but all tie in together are very similar to The Wire.

It's not as deep...but still an excellent show, I'll be shocked if you don't like it, assuming you're as big a fan of The Wire as I am.
I was, let's see. Starting episode 1 in about 30.

Reactions: 417

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gave Birdman a go yesterday... its was pretty damn great. Love the one shot take style. Keaton is a god in acting ad so is Norton. At some point it almost feels like theyre acting out the movie but at the same time acting out the movie in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad