Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Show finale of The Americans last evening, wrapped up with a 1.5 hour episode. It left some questions unanswered but a lot of secrets came out of the bag and there was a sense of satisfaction at least knowing how the main characters will fare. Six years leading up to this. Really enjoyed the series, it was smartly written and well-acted. The casting was superb, it captured the 80s like few other series. On to the next thing.

I thought it was a pretty satisfying end to a great series. I had no idea how they were gonna clue it all up but that ending worked for me. I was kinda expecting to see Martha again too but oh well.

Reactions: Laurentide

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think the nostalgia was the key

That and the bar hasn't been set incredibly high last couple of years for movies so just like the Habs people start to look at success more by lowering expectations than by anyone achieving greatness

The competition is rehashed super hero movies. Not very hard to rank high in a market like that.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes, I was disappointed Dr. Danko never made an appearance. I remember watching the movie Law Abiding Citizen whenGerard Butler was dicing that guy up, Danko came to mind immediately for me.

That's the movie where he blows up a judge using a cell phone, right? That's the only part I remember of that movie. I should re-watch it. I do remember I liked it.

Reactions: sandviper

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The competition is rehashed super hero movies. Not very hard to rank high in a market like that.

Not in terms of BO success.

It will be a long time before a movie franchise reaches the heights of the Avengers movies in terms of box office success. It has racked in over 5 billion on 3 movies. With the 4th probably boosting that number by another 2 billion.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not in terms of BO success.

It will be a long time before a movie franchise reaches the heights of the Avengers movies in terms of box office success. It has racked in over 5 billion on 3 movies. With the 4th probably boosting that number by another 2 billion.

Well box office success doesn't bring me any pleasure while watching a movie.

I don't mind super heroes movies but i think it's sad there' no more Forest Gump and Shawshank Redemption these days.

Can't even remember the last time i watched a legendary non action movie.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well box office success doesn't bring me any pleasure while watching a movie.

I don't mind super heroes movies but i think it's sad there' no more Forest Gump and Shawshank Redemption these days.

Can't even remember the last time i watched a legendary non action movie.

12 years a slave was pretty good.

Spotlight was also pretty epic.

The Founder too.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah i agree those were very good but dunno i feel like the quality has gone down a notch if you compare to some years ago. Maybe i'm just bored.

Agree. Comes a point where you've seen so many movies and tv series that nothing is surprising anymore, especially from cookie cutter formula hollywood.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Agree. Comes a point where you've seen so many movies and tv series that nothing is surprising anymore, especially from cookie cutter formula hollywood.

The last movie that really blew me away was Avatar 3D in theater. Not that the movie was that great but the experience was awesome. I felt like a teen again watching Jurassic Park lol

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The last movie that really blew me away was Avatar 3D in theater. Not that the movie was that great but the experience was awesome. I felt like a teen again watching Jurassic Park lol

The last theater movie that blew me away was the first two matrix movies.

"What is the matrix" tag line had everyone wondering.

Before that was Fight Club.

That's like waaay back in my early 20's.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The last theater movie that blew me away was the first two matrix movies.

"What is the matrix" tag line had everyone wondering.

Before that was Fight Club.

That's like waaay back in my early 20's.

Yeah the Matrix in theater was awesome. It's just not the same on a small screen and the special effects did not age that well. But yeah going to see the movie i thought it would be a flop. All that Matrix talk had to be a marketing stunt. But man i was so wrong lol

One of the best experience i had in theater was Braveheart. It was crowded and the people were febrile. Some people left before the end because of the violence but those who stayed really did participate in the movie. People were almost battling with the actors lol At the end of the movie everyone applauded. It was really something special i've never seen that again.

Back to Jarassic Park i went to see it in a drive-in with my sister, her husband, my nephew and a friend couple of them. I was 16 and my nephew was 11. Pretty much the same age as the kids in the movie. Adults watched the movie in a car and us in a Honda truck that looked like a Jeep a lot. It was slightly raining that night. So imagine the experience. In what was basically a jeep, 16 and 11 and it was raining. Pretty much the same setting as the movie lol.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I can’t remember what movie it was my wife and I were going to watch, but whatever it was, it was sold out. Since we were downtown already, we decided to just watch The Matrix. I recall thinking, “ugh, it’s that stoner guy from Bill and Ted. This movie is gonna suck, but that chick in the leather outfit looks hot.”

Man, that movie blew me away. At that time, I’d never seen anything like it conceptually and visually. Plus, the Kung-fu and gun fight in the lobby... wow!

The only movie I can think of that I’ve left blown away in a theatre was Black Hawk Down. Otherwise, I just enjoy movies, but nothing leaves much of an impression.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I finished watching the BBC/Netflix miniseries on Troy. I think that it was very good, and I was surprised by how dark they went with the ending. It's much darker than the 2004 Hollywood movie.

There's an interesting controversy due to them casting a Black man to play Achilles. It is true that Achilles would not have been Black. On the other hand, nobody ever complains when white anglo Saxon protestants get these roles, and further, the actor who played achilles did a fantastic job of communicating nuance. He was each of a romantic, a dreamer, and a testosterone-fueled rage warrior.

Both white washing and black washing sucks. As well as replacing the main Asian in importance in Marvel by a white woman in Doctor Strange.

I won't be watching this.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Both white washing and black washing sucks. As well as replacing the main Asian in importance in Marvel by a white woman in Doctor Strange.

I won't be watching this.

It's not Black washing. They just cast good actors. The actor for Achilles was great, a really nice and ranged performance.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's not Black washing. They just cast good actors. The actor for Achilles was great, a really nice and ranged performance.

With millions of actors around the World, there could have gotten an as great and competent actor that was more similar to how Achille looked. They keep pulling that shit nowadays, they did it on Doctor Strange, American Gods, Thor, etc...and they keep sticking down people's throat cause they know if people talk, they'll get called on it. "We're gonna do it and you won't able to same a damn thing". But it's so stupid. It's not creative, it's not original.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
With millions of actors around the World, there could have gotten an as great and competent actor that was more similar to how Achille looked. They keep pulling that **** nowadays, they did it on Doctor Strange, American Gods, Thor, etc...and they keep sticking down people's throat cause they know if people talk, they'll get called on it. "We're gonna do it and you won't able to same a damn thing". But it's so stupid. It's not creative, it's not original.

Honestly I doubt you'd complain if they can't a white Anglo Saxon Protestant to play Achilles.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Honestly I doubt you'd complain if they can't a white Anglo Saxon Protestant to play Achilles.

I thought it was pretty stupid when they had pretty boy blond Brad Pitt back in the day too. My God. It was ridiculous.

Remember Gerard Butler in Gods of Egypt? Christ. Embarrassing.

Maybe I'm anal about this but I just prefer when they stick to the source material. Whether it's history, books, comics, etc....You don't need to change things when it doesn't need to be.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I can’t remember what movie it was my wife and I were going to watch, but whatever it was, it was sold out. Since we were downtown already, we decided to just watch The Matrix. I recall thinking, “ugh, it’s that stoner guy from Bill and Ted. This movie is gonna suck, but that chick in the leather outfit looks hot.”

Man, that movie blew me away. At that time, I’d never seen anything like it conceptually and visually. Plus, the Kung-fu and gun fight in the lobby... wow!

The only movie I can think of that I’ve left blown away in a theatre was Black Hawk Down. Otherwise, I just enjoy movies, but nothing leaves much of an impression.
It’s just a shame that reloaded and revolutions were just plain awful
They just killed the series.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Last non-action movie I saw on the big screen that blew me away was "There Will Be Blood".

Granted, I see 1-2 movies at theaters per year.

P.S. I'm omitting 'The Revenant" because that was an experience of its own. I've never had one like it in my life.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It’s just a shame that reloaded and revolutions were just plain awful
They just killed the series.

Reloaded was tolerable but definitely didn’t do enough for world building. Revolutions though, yeah, that was the nail in the coffin.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's a fairly hefty assumption to make about someone and sounds like a pre-programmed response you'd see on twitter.

No it is not, but your post certainly is. Don't throw stones from a glass house.

Mine is an observational fact. I looked at a lot of reviews and conmments and people are only complaining about the Black guy, not about the Wasps. That's the case in general.

Did anyone complain about Russel Crowe in Gladiator?

No.

But for sure if an Asian person had been cast for that role we'd have never heard the end of it.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Yet pale in comparison to Dr Danko in the second book which was never put to screen because he was far too gruesome.

Best Lithgow villain was in Raising Cain.

is Denko the gentleman who dismembered his victims? if so, yeah, tough to pull off on TV.
Even if they decided to go there, the special effects would likely end up being on the comical side. :tvhappy:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Last non-action movie I saw on the big screen that blew me away was "There Will Be Blood".

Granted, I see 1-2 movies at theaters per year.

P.S. I'm omitting 'The Revenant" because that was an experience of its own. I've never had one like it in my life.

The Revenant - an example of a (fairly) recent movie that was ruined for me by reading the book first. Another was The Martian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad