Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Going back to Thanos, he is akin I think to Robespierre, the originator of the French Revolution. The guy was an intellectual but probably lacked the emotion or empathy and heart to come up with a practical idea that would take into account the well being of man. Really that is what is madness. Like they call Thanos in the comics, "The Mad Titan". Hell I would say what Thanos did was far less damaging and Evil than Robespierre cause with the Frenchman, there was physical and mental torture, family getting destroyed, rape, pure carnage on an insane level. And they called it The Terror cause it never stopped. It was the idea of the revolution continuing non-stop and always tearing down the goverment because when people are in power too much, they quickly enjoy their status and get corrupted. So the people that just became part of the goverment one night, a few nights later they would get their heads cut off. It was insane. There was no rest. In many ways, that is how you can trully hate a villain. This was lacking a bit in Infinity War, we could not trully hate Thanos. Easy fix and he loved his daughter.

Reactions: sandviper

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Holy f***, did the latest season of Homeland turn on the switch from ep8 onward.

I was nearly ready to pull the plug on the show given the first 7 episodes... And I'm still confused as to why they felt they needed to have this large and pointless of an arc overall. It didn't build up to anything, and certainly didn't attribute to the awesomeness of the last half of the season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Holy ****, did the latest season of Homeland turn on the switch from ep8 onward.

I was nearly ready to pull the plug on the show given the first 7 episodes... And I'm still confused as to why they felt they needed to have this large and pointless of an arc overall. It didn't build up to anything, and certainly didn't attribute to the awesomeness of the last half of the season.
I couldn't really buy into it personally.
They really should have moved on from Carrie's "condition". To be honest, I would prefer the show if she wasn't ill at all. There is no f***ing way such an unstable nut would be the most trusted spy of the CIA, always the one saving the world and keeping stability, meanwhile all you have to do is not give her those pills and boom....she's completely out of it, running around like a 3 yo baby.
Really makes no sense.

Also, I don't see how they managed to turn Simone so easily and quickly. If spies were so easily corrupted...how are they even hired as spies in the first place?..How does that work?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
SPOILERS IF YOU’RE NOT CAUGHT UP......

Homeland improved in the final act of the season, and episode 10 and 11 was classic stuff. Episode 12 was mostly strong until the whole resignation, despite Keane saying they’d do everything in their power to get Carrie back. Then they went the whole crazy Carrie to end the season which will mean, depending on the time jump for the last season, the whole crazy Carrie is a partial storyline we still have to deal with next season.

And with Keane resigning, I kind of wonder what the whole point of the season was. Yes, I get she did this to protect the government and the bigger plan that the Russians planned didn’t work, but it still kind of felt pointless in the end.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Enjoying Barry with Bill Hader. Nothing spectacular, but a fun show. Also enjoying Sneaky Pete

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Europa, Europa: 7.4/10

The 12th Man (2017): 7/10 average movie but an unbelievable true story

Fruitvale Station: 7/10

La ch'tite famille: 6.8/10

The Tin Drum: 6.8/10

Dr. Mabuse the Gambler: 6.5/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This week's Parts Unknown had Anthony Bourdain in Newfoundland. Anyone partake?

Reactions: Laurentide

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
This week's Parts Unknown had Anthony Bourdain in Newfoundland. Anyone partake?

I knew it was coming on tonight and had intended to watch it but was watching the game and forgot all about it. :( I'll have to keep a lookout for a replay of tonight's episode.

How did the food look to you non Newfoundlander's out there watching? :) What were some of the local food they were eating?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished watching the Newfoundland Bourdain episode. What a food fest.

Bourdain and several individuals who were mostly chefs made stops at several locations, including restaurants, hunting grounds, fishing expeditions and Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. So many local specialties were savored, tons of very local dishes made with local ingredients and summoning time honored traditions. Two of the chefs who were amongst the group traveling about with Bourdain, were from Montreal.

We have Newfoundlanders posting amongst us, I'd love to hear their take.

And, not one individual who was on-camera, used the word "eh", nor did anyone make any reference to the annoying stereotype perpetrated by so many US shows that refer to Canada. What a treat it was to see such a beautiful part of Canada shown from several original and not-so-often shared perspectives.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just finished watching the Newfoundland Bourdain episode. What a food fest.

Bourdain and several individuals who were mostly chefs made stops at several locations, including restaurants, hunting grounds, fishing expeditions and Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. So many local specialties were savored, tons of very local dishes made with local ingredients and summoning time honored traditions. Two of the chefs who were amongst the group traveling about with Bourdain, were from Montreal.

We have Newfoundlanders posting amongst us, I'd love to hear their take.

And, not one individual who was on-camera, used the word "eh", nor did anyone make any reference to the annoying stereotype perpetrated by so many US shows that refer to Canada. What a treat it was to see such a beautiful part of Canada shown from several original and not-so-often shared perspectives.

I must watch this episode sometime in the near future. I was just reading comments from some of my Newfoundland friends living all over Canada on Facebook who watched and they loved the episode. I've never visited Saint-Pierre before but have visited Miquelon a few times a few years ago.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I knew it was coming on tonight and had intended to watch it but was watching the game and forgot all about it. :( I'll have to keep a lookout for a replay of tonight's episode.

How did the food look to you non Newfoundlander's out there watching? :) What were some of the local food were they eating?

The food looked damn delicious, even to a guy like me who has lived through stomach hell this past week, lol.

The local chefs were Jeremy Charles and Jeremy Bonia, his partner. Charles is referenced as one of Canada's top chefs, during the show and you can see why, his creations are so original.

Of course, if wouldn't be Newfoundland if they didn't delve excessively into cod, its history in the region and the 1992 Federal govt. moratorium, which is still in effect today but they're also showing how cod is coming back. And how it's no longer a single species fishery.

In the opening scene, they're showing the chefs sitting in a shed and it's apparently something the locals like to do.

First dish they prep is "fish and brews", which they describe as a "hearty sailor's stew of cod and hardtack". And then "scrunchions".

Lots of great Newfoundland "field notes" here: Travel through Newfoundland with Anthony Bourdain

Too many local food to name it all but looking so appetizing. You gotta see this.

And of course -- wouldn't be Newfoundland without referring to the weather. They say no one goes there on account of the weather but you can see the 4 seasons in one day.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The food looked damn delicious, even to a guy like me who has lived through stomach hell this past week, lol.

The local chefs were Jeremy Charles and Jeremy Bonia, his partner. Charles is referenced as one of Canada's top chefs, during the show and you can see why, his creations are so original.

Of course, if wouldn't be Newfoundland if they didn't delve excessively into cod, its history in the region and the 1992 Federal govt. moratorium, which is still in effect today but they're also showing how cod is coming back. And how it's no longer a single species fishery.

In the opening scene, they're showing the chefs sitting in a shed and it's apparently something the locals like to do.

First dish they prep is "fish and brews", which they describe as a "hearty sailor's stew of cod and hardtack". And then "scrunchions".

Lots of great Newfoundland "field notes" here: Travel through Newfoundland with Anthony Bourdain

Too many local food to name it all but looking so appetizing. You gotta see this.

And of course -- wouldn't be Newfoundland without referring to the weather. They say no one goes there on account of the weather but you can see the 4 seasons in one day.

I'll look for a replay of the episode but if I don't see it I'll find it online somewhere.

Yeah sitting around in a shed with a few friends cooking up a bit of food and having a few adult beverages is a very common thing to do here in Newfoundland especially on a Friday or Saturday night. :)

I enjoy cod but don't like it in a stew at all. Pan frying cod and the various parts of the cod like the tongue and cheek in pork scrunchions is quite good but it's hard on the blood pressure so I rarely eat scrunchions anymore. :)

I'm sure the good ol Newfoundland Screech also made an appearance. That stuff will put hairs on your chest, even if you're a woman. :laugh:

It's lobster season here now so I've been enjoying fresh lobster for the past couple of weeks. Fresh from the ocean, cooked within a couple of hours and only $6 a pound this year. Can't beat that.

Hope you're on the mend and feeling better.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll look for a replay of the episode but if I don't see it I'll find it online somewhere.

Yeah sitting around in a shed with a few friends cooking up a bit of food and having a few adult beverages is a very common thing to do here in Newfoundland especially on a Friday or Saturday night. :)

I enjoy cod but don't like it in a stew at all. Pan frying cod and the various parts of the cod like the tongue and cheek in pork scrunchions is quite good but it's hard on the blood pressure so I rarely eat scrunchions anymore. :)

I'm sure the good ol Newfoundland Screech also made an appearance. That stuff will put hairs on your chest, even if you're a woman. :laugh:

It's lobster season here now so I've been enjoying fresh lobster for the past couple of weeks. Fresh from the ocean, cooked within a couple of hours and only $6 a pound this year. Can't beat that.

Thanks for the kind wishes. Our lobster from the local Costco is at almost $14 a pound -- you've got it good.

Yeah, I believe they mentioned Screech. And fish and chips. French fries made an appearance on a lot of dishes -- something to be said for Newfoundland potatoes, I suppose.

Reactions: sheed36

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
the insult: 7/10

The movie explores good themes but the main plot is flawed from the beginning when one character is clearly at fault.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Margot Kidder has passed away. I will forever remember her giving the address to the sorority house as Fel latio (had to split the word) to the somewhat stupid cop in the classic thriller "Black Christmas". That is one of my favorite horror movies.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Margot Kidder has passed away. I will forever remember her giving the address to the sorority house as Fel latio (had to split the word) to the somewhat stupid cop in the classic thriller "Black Christmas". That is one of my favorite horror movies.

Oh no ... what happened? I had no idea. She's one of those actresses who wasn't always in the news but surfaced now and again. RIP.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Watched Wind River after seeing the good reviews here, and it was a good movie. I quite enjoyed it.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I have tried it many times but I can honestly say I have never enjoyed it. I have performed at least 10 screech in ceremonies and used screech every time and the most memorable time was with two guys from Alberta and one from Ontario at a famous shed party. I had them stand in buckets full of ice cold Atlantic ocean water, one guy puked from the screech:laugh:. There were about 40 people in attendance and we partied till about 5 am, good times bye.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That's sad news. She was pretty wrecked for a while but seemed on the way to getting better. She'll forever be Lois Lane to me. :heart:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
toronto-police-thanos-arrest-viral-pic-759.jpg

Got him before he could snap his fingers, phew!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have tried it many times but I can honestly say I have never enjoyed it. I have performed at least 10 screech in ceremonies and used screech every time and the most memorable time was with two guys from Alberta and one from Ontario at a famous shed party. I had them stand in buckets full of ice cold Atlantic ocean water, one guy puked from the screech:laugh:. There were about 40 people in attendance and we partied till about 5 am, good times bye.

I'm intrigued about these shed parties. Is that the equivalent of a "man cave" gathering, except it happens at ground level? The one they showed on Parts Unknown was pretty bare bones -- a few Christmas lights hanging on unfinished walls, a couple of tables and chairs in the middle. Thazzit.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm intrigued about these shed parties. Is that the equivalent of a "man cave" gathering, except it happens at ground level? The one they showed on Parts Unknown was pretty bare bones -- a few Christmas lights hanging on unfinished walls, a couple of tables and chairs in the middle. Thazzit.

It's pretty much what you saw in the Parts Unknown episode. Usually just a bare bones shed with a wood stove, a few chairs or anything suitable to sit on, along with a bit of music, a bunch of friends telling stories and lies having a few adult beverages and having a grand ol time laughing the night away. If you're lucky you even have a couple of friends who can play the guitar and the accordion whichs makes it even better.

I'm sure you would have a grand ol time if you ever get the chance to participate in one of these. The only possible problem for someone not from Newfoundland is trying to understand what the hell we're saying especially if it's mostly Newfoundlanders there. After the booze kicks in we usually talk even faster making it even harder to understand us so we see a lot of blank stares. :)

I've been to many "shed parties" and have seen the sun rise many times. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad