Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you don’t like super heroes then don’t go
The movie itself was amazing
Acting was solid. It was funny. It’ was sad
It was full of action
It’s exactly what I wanted from a summer blockbuster.
I didn’t go into the movie thinking it’s gonna be an Oscar contender. You go see these types of movies for enjoyment. BTW this Movie is better than half the **** that gets Nominated for oscars
Call me by your name?? Phantom thread? Darkest hour??
3 ****ing boring ass garbage movies

I will go watch whatever I feel like watching, thank you very much.
Not sure why you got so defensive here. You are allowed to find two idiots kicking each other in the nuts funny. You can enjoy all these superhero movies too, it's okay.
Not sure what the oscars have to do with this. I don't go watch a comic book movie thinking it'll win an oscar, nor is "oscar nomination/win'' my way of judging whether or not a movie is good.

If the movie is funny, I'll laugh. If it's full of action, well, don't care about as long as it makes sense to the storyline. Acting was solid...I guess I'll see, doubt it.

I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah Wonder Woman was great. It might be my favourite superhero film. The rest of the DC movies are garbage.

Marvel has had some stinkers too. Iron Man 2 and 3 were pretty bad. Thor 1 and 2 weren't great either.

Infinity War is fantastic. And this coming from someone holding a grudge for not including Hawkeye and continuing to treat him like crap.
Wonder Woman was one of the worse ones I saw...Damn that was bad.
Really disappointed with how they built up Killmonger too, BP did not make sense at all.
Logan was pure garbage too.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I wonder... with Disney buying Fox and getting the rights to their other major (Marvel) franchises... (FF, X-men, DP), they can now include Silver Surfer in Inifinity War 2, as he was integral to the original story and battled the mad titan.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Wonder Woman was one of the worse ones I saw...Damn that was bad.
Really disappointed with how they built up Killmonger too, BP did not make sense at all.
Logan was pure garbage too.
To each their own. You'd probably love Justice League then.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wonder... with Disney buying Fox and getting the rights to their other major (Marvel) franchises... (FF, X-men, DP), they can now include Silver Surfer in Inifinity War 2, as he was integral to the original story and battled the mad titan.
It'll be years before everything is fully finalized and ready.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It'll be years before everything is fully finalized and ready.

What do you mean?

Disney buying Fox?

The movie rights?

See that kid in red and blue tights running his mouth in Infinity War? His movie rights don't belong to Disney and yet they managed to get him in. No matter if it's Fox, it's now a subsidiary of Disney and henceforth they can have Fox partner up with Marvel Studios until the rights revert.

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
What do you mean?

Disney buying Fox?

The movie rights?

See that kid in red and blue tights running his mouth in Infinity War? His movie rights don't belong to Disney and yet they managed to get him in. No matter if it's Fox, it's now a subsidiary of Disney and henceforth they can have Fox partner up with Marvel Studios until the rights revert.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
What do you mean?

Disney buying Fox?

The movie rights?

Why be a smartass? You just make yourself look silly when you reply rude and you're wrong.

Spiderman... they don't own the rights. They worked out a deal, like you said. No such thing has been done with Fox, hence Fox still releasing movies and continuing protection on others.

The Fox deal has to go through a ton of legal proceedings before being finalized. 2019 likely the absolute earliest the deal with be finalized.

Also, Comcast is part of this whole deal. They've tried to block the deal multiple times and have offered like $7B more than Disney (Fox went with Disney because they likely felt Disney had a better shot of finalizing the deal). However, Comcast will cause issues in the legal proceedings. Latest news is that they're going to purchase Sky, which Fox owns a large stake in, to try to block the deal.

So no one from Fox is showing up in Infinity War 2. No one from Fox is showing up in Ant-Man 2. No one from Fox is showing up in Captain Marvel.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
And marrying his mistress; death...

Just quoting source material.. havent seen the movie yet. Is Death in the plot?

MINOR SPOILER ALERT
STOP READING NOW to avoid SPOILER (but I will do my best to avoid plot points)..................................................... There are some elements from the source material but the motivations for the Infinity Stones are different. There is no Mistress Death (though there is a nice nod to her, but saying more is a major spoiler) at all. Despite the tease with Death after Avengers 1, they just dropped it completely. Thanos actually has a somewhat "noble" goal in that he sees himself as a hero and he is trying to save the universe. I'll just leave it at that.

Going back to the source material, the movie Thanos is less whiny (or love struck) than the comic one, extremely driven with a singular goal but he is incredibly conflicted with his choices and demonstrates moments of remorse and regret. I don't know if I would say Thanos is the best MCU villain, but he's not terrible. At least as or near as interesting as Loki and Killmonger.

@Zorba @Natey

SPOILERS MAY CONTINUE........... I enjoyed the movie as well. It was almost non-stop action and yeah, quite heart-breaking. I don't know if you've read James Gunn's comments about the ending... I was crushed. I even felt sympathy for Thanos.

What I didn't like was the treatment of the Black Order. I get why they didn't have more to do, but they are so bad ass in the comics. I was hoping for more.

And FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT..................... Stormbreaker was freaking awesome. Also, according to set photos, we are going to see the incarnation of Ronin Hawkeye due to the events of Infinity War.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah Wonder Woman was great. It might be my favourite superhero film. The rest of the DC movies are garbage.

Marvel has had some stinkers too. Iron Man 2 and 3 were pretty bad. Thor 1 and 2 weren't great either.

Infinity War is fantastic. And this coming from someone holding a grudge for not including Hawkeye and continuing to treat him like crap.

I read comics as a kid, so I generally enjoy these movies but understand these are pure popcorn flicks. In rare cases, we will see movies reach the realm of excellent film making (read: snob flicks). Logan was a great movie in that regard, and to a lessor extent, the Nolan Dark Knight movies.

My issue, which I alluded to in my prior post, with comic book movies is the villains are generally treated as such --- comic characters. You know, generic bad guys wanting power and basically destroying everything. Marvel is notorious for this, I think we can all admit that, but Loki previously and more recently Killmonger have introduced sympathetic villains with motivations that make sense. Even Thanos to a degree is a villain audiences can relate to.

In terms of good and bad movies, Wonder Woman was great. I liked the first 20 minutes of Suicide Squad but the rest was trash. All the other DC movies are just loud and incoherent messes. I enjoyed them all to an extent though, simply because of the original source material, but yeah, they aren't great movies.

The MCU movies have generally been good, but they had stinkers. IM2, IM3 weren't great. Thor 2 I hated. Thor 1, GOTG2 and Captain America 1 was underwhelming for me.

But Ragnorok, GOTG1, Winter Soldier and Civil War were amazing. Infinity war makes my top-5.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
MINOR SPOILER ALERT
STOP READING NOW to avoid SPOILER (but I will do my best to avoid plot points)..................................................... There are some elements from the source material but the motivations for the Infinity Stones are different. There is no Mistress Death (though there is a nice nod to her, but saying more is a major spoiler) at all. Despite the tease with Death after Avengers 1, they just dropped it completely. Thanos actually has a somewhat "noble" goal in that he sees himself as a hero and he is trying to save the universe. I'll just leave it at that.

Going back to the source material, the movie Thanos is less whiny (or love struck) than the comic one, extremely driven with a singular goal but he is incredibly conflicted with his choices and demonstrates moments of remorse and regret. I don't know if I would say Thanos is the best MCU villain, but he's not terrible. At least as or near as interesting as Loki and Killmonger.

@Zorba @Natey

SPOILERS MAY CONTINUE........... I enjoyed the movie as well. It was almost non-stop action and yeah, quite heart-breaking. I don't know if you've read James Gunn's comments about the ending... I was crushed. I even felt sympathy for Thanos.

What I didn't like was the treatment of the Black Order. I get why they didn't have more to do, but they are so bad ass in the comics. I was hoping for more.

And FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT..................... Stormbreaker was freaking awesome. Also, according to set photos, we are going to see the incarnation of Ronin Hawkeye due to the events of Infinity War.
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT

I think people generally think Thanos as the best villain because he was so strong compared to like Ultron or something.

Also, the Ronin thing seems like Clint going undercover to avoid the government. I just hope he's done justice. Hawkeye IS The Avengers. Marvel themselves ranked him the #2 Greatest Avenger of all-time (behind Cap) and in the movies he's been treated like the #500 Greatest Avenger. Hawkeye fans deserve a big moment.

The Black Order is fantastic, I agree. But I thought they looked fairly strong. As strong as secondary villains can look in an 150 minute movie. Proxima and Ebony Maw both looked fantastic. The other two, not so much.

I'm excited to see what happens.

Ps. Been playing a Marvel card/board game lately called Legendary. Awesome fun.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I read comics as a kid, so I generally enjoy these movies but understand these are pure popcorn flicks. In rare cases, we will see movies reach the realm of excellent film making (read: snob flicks). Logan was a great movie in that regard, and to a lessor extent, the Nolan Dark Knight movies.

My issue, which I alluded to in my prior post, with comic book movies is the villains are generally treated as such --- comic characters. You know, generic bad guys wanting power and basically destroying everything. Marvel is notorious for this, I think we can all admit that, but Loki previously and more recently Killmonger have introduced sympathetic villains with motivations that make sense. Even Thanos to a degree is a villain audiences can relate to.

In terms of good and bad movies, Wonder Woman was great. I liked the first 20 minutes of Suicide Squad but the rest was trash. All the other DC movies are just loud and incoherent messes. I enjoyed them all to an extent though, simply because of the original source material, but yeah, they aren't great movies.

The MCU movies have generally been good, but they had stinkers. IM2, IM3 weren't great. Thor 2 I hated. Thor 1, GOTG2 and Captain America 1 was underwhelming for me.

But Ragnorok, GOTG1, Winter Soldier and Civil War were amazing. Infinity war makes my top-5.
Wonder Woman is my favourite DC film ever. Batman (60s) is next and then Batman Begins. Supergirl from the 80s is also on my list even though it's awful but I was really young, haha.

I actually severely dislike The Dark Knight. I've never finished it. Tried 5 or 6 times and always shut it off. I've even made it through Elektra. Dark Knight just didn't relate to me. And I loved Begins, so it's confusing. I've never watched Rises because I havent managed to finish Dark Knight.

Thor 2 was not good EXCEPT for the Loki stuff which made the movie watchable.

The rest of the new Marvel movies besides Thor 1-2 and IM 2-3, I've liked.

My top-5 would probably;
1. Avengers - The goosebumps I felt during the circle shot is a feeling I'm not sure I'll ever experience again in the theatre. Not the best film in series but that was just great.
2. Civil War
3. GotG
4. Infinity War
5. Age of Ultron - Not my favourite but I have to put it on the list as a Hawkeye fan.

Loved Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and GotG 2 as well. The rest were all solid-good.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT

I think people generally think Thanos as the best villain because he was so strong compared to like Ultron or something.

Also, the Ronin thing seems like Clint going undercover to avoid the government. I just hope he's done justice. Hawkeye IS The Avengers. Marvel themselves ranked him the #2 Greatest Avenger of all-time (behind Cap) and in the movies he's been treated like the #500 Greatest Avenger. Hawkeye fans deserve a big moment.

The Black Order is fantastic, I agree. But I thought they looked fairly strong. As strong as secondary villains can look in an 150 minute movie. Proxima and Ebony Maw both looked fantastic. The other two, not so much.

I'm excited to see what happens.

Ps. Been playing a Marvel card/board game lately called Legendary. Awesome fun.

In regards to Thanos/Ultron... I guess. I just liked Thanos because he actually seemed like a main character in this movie and they made him somewhat believable despite being a big purple raisin. As for the Ronin thing, I think it's more about borrowing the look more than the story but yeah. Hawkeye needs better treatment. Sadly he gets little respect.

Proxima was cool and Ebony Maw was awesome. Corvus Glaive was always my favorite though.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Wonder Woman is my favourite DC film ever. Batman (60s) is next and then Batman Begins. Supergirl from the 80s is also on my list even though it's awful but I was really young, haha.

I actually severely dislike The Dark Knight. I've never finished it. Tried 5 or 6 times and always shut it off. I've even made it through Elektra. Dark Knight just didn't relate to me. And I loved Begins, so it's confusing. I've never watched Rises because I havent managed to finish Dark Knight.

Thor 2 was not good EXCEPT for the Loki stuff which made the movie watchable.

The rest of the new Marvel movies besides Thor 1-2 and IM 2-3, I've liked.

My top-5 would probably;
1. Avengers - The goosebumps I felt during the circle shot is a feeling I'm not sure I'll ever experience again in the theatre. Not the best film in series but that was just great.
2. Civil War
3. GotG
4. Infinity War
5. Age of Ultron - Not my favourite but I have to put it on the list as a Hawkeye fan.

Loved Winter Soldier, Black Panther, and GotG 2 as well. The rest were all solid-good.

Surprised you feel like that about DK and thus not seeing Rises. I actually though DK was the best of the trilogy but that's fine. WW is easily my most favorite DCEU movie by a longshot. I am mixed on the various Superman movies but no other comic book movie gives me chills like when Superman's original John Williams theme starts blasting. The Superman Returns movie was terribad, but the scene when Superman was racing into the sky to save the jet and the John Williams score was playing made it worthwhile.

I didn't hate AOU like some people seemed to. I thought Ultron was wasted, but I did expect more. I preferred IW to the first Avengers maybe because it had bigger stakes.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
In regards to Thanos/Ultron... I guess. I just liked Thanos because he actually seemed like a main character in this movie and they made him somewhat believable despite being a big purple raisin. As for the Ronin thing, I think it's more about borrowing the look more than the story but yeah. Hawkeye needs better treatment. Sadly he gets little respect.

Proxima was cool and Ebony Maw was awesome. Corvus Glaive was always my favorite though.
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT
FLAT OUT SPOILER ALERT

Yeah Corvius is awesome. Not much in the movie. If you think about it, he did the most important thing of any Black Order member by interrupting the procedure to save a stone for Thanos.

Reactions: sandviper

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Surprised you feel like that about DK and thus not seeing Rises. I actually though DK was the best of the trilogy but that's fine. WW is easily my most favorite DCEU movie by a longshot. I am mixed on the various Superman movies but no other comic book movie gives me chills like when Superman's original John Williams theme starts blasting. The Superman Returns movie was terribad, but the scene when Superman was racing into the sky to save the jet and the John Williams score was playing made it worthwhile.

I didn't hate AOU like some people seemed to. I thought Ultron was wasted, but I did expect more. I preferred IW to the first Avengers maybe because it had bigger stakes.
I preferred many to the original Avengers... But that feeling I had... I need something to top that to remove it.

Yeah Superman movies are hit or miss. I'll finish The Dark Knight one day.

I also agree about Suicide Squad. It started well then turned into a mess. My favourite character was actually the #2 Army Soldier played by Eastwood's son. That should tell you something.

Justice League was okay. Not as bad as BvS but not good either.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I will go watch whatever I feel like watching, thank you very much.
Not sure why you got so defensive here. You are allowed to find two idiots kicking each other in the nuts funny. You can enjoy all these superhero movies too, it's okay.
Not sure what the oscars have to do with this. I don't go watch a comic book movie thinking it'll win an oscar, nor is "oscar nomination/win'' my way of judging whether or not a movie is good.

If the movie is funny, I'll laugh. If it's full of action, well, don't care about as long as it makes sense to the storyline. Acting was solid...I guess I'll see, doubt it.

I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Meh, different strokes for different folks. When I watch a movie, I want to be entertained. I love watching crap blow up, but I can only take so many disaster movies as I find most of them crap.

When you think about some of the elements of Star Wars; princesses, giant laser beams, giant hairy gorilla-things, this sounds stupid. However, it makes a gazillion dollars and I watch them.

I've gone on record by saying how stupid the TV show Strike Back is, but it is one of my favorite shows ever. I loved the Usual Suspects, but I generally don't get into crime dramas. Saw and enjoyed all the LOTRs but have yet to watch any of the Hobbit movies.

I'll generally watch most DC and Marvel (be it Fox, Sony or MCU) movies since I grew up reading those but I watch them knowing it's a couple throwaway hours. Sometimes I'll be engaged and come away impressed.

Anyhow, to lighten the mood, about two idiots...

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I preferred many to the original Avengers... But that feeling I had... I need something to top that to remove it.

Yeah Superman movies are hit or miss. I'll finish The Dark Knight one day.

I also agree about Suicide Squad. It started well then turned into a mess. My favourite character was actually the #2 Army Soldier played by Eastwood's son. That should tell you something.

Justice League was okay. Not as bad as BvS but not good either.

That circular camera pan was cool but I also liked the shot they did at the start of AOU when all the Avengers were attacking the right of the screen and the camera froze a moment.

For Suicide Squad, I just loved the cut intros. I thought it was creative and pretty cool.

JL was cool because they all got together and Supes came back. Still, the whole Steppanwolf and the mother boxes was poorly done and Superman came back so overpowered that he probably didn't need anyone else and could have just ended it himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad