Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yeah his last good movie was 5 years ago with Chasing Mavericks. Before that it was probably Rock n Rolla in 2008 ...

Machine Gun Preacher was pretty good. It just that it had such a bad title, people thought it was some action movie. But it's a good drama and good performance by Butler. After Gods of Egypt, you would think the guy would have fired his agent but no he jumps into some mid 90s disaster movie. lol

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's been a while since i watched a high quality super heroes movie that is not a x-men movie. Well Guardian of the galaxy is by marvel but not sure i would consider this a super hero movie it's more like Star Wars. They are very cookie cutter these days. We are far from Watchmen or Nolan's Batman orthe first Spiderman and Ironman. The worst thing that happened to super heroes movies is Snyder. This guy is bad. Very bad. Terribad. He is like Abrams on steroid.

Watchmen the comic was great. Movie was ok, but not in my top-10, let alone top-20 favorite comic book movies. Agreed with your other mentions.

I find they are cookie cutter as you said. Of the Phase 3 movies from Marvel Studios, Thor Ragnarok kind of broke away from typical MCU-mold like the first Guardians of the Galaxy. I did like Doctor Strange as well as Civil War. Not sure about Black Panther yet, but Infinity War can take my money now.

As for DCEU, man, all their movies have been meh other than Wonder Woman. I know it isn’t canon for this new shared universe, but Nolan’s Batman movies set a very high bar.

Reactions: ArsHabs

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Stranger things 2 was shit. So shit...

I loved the constant aliens homages, especially the dialogue and using Paul riser (Burke) as the good guy (didn't see that coming), but that Heroes wannabe episode needed to be killed with fire. DAMN that was awful :laugh:

You can't use the same cinematographic tricks to y to scare me dozens of times per episode, and by episode 4, to expect me to give a shit... Lazy

Oh well... after season 1 said there's no way they can go anywhere good after that, and yeah, they couldn't

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The OA is something else. Watched the whole thing twice in a couple of weeks and both viewings have been binge-watches where I saw it all in one sitting.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I watched a lot of series lately but this one was the only one that managed to really capture me completely. Great script and acting.

What i liked of it is in the middle of the season 1 they make it looks like it's going the same ridiculously stupid route as Lost. Then bang in the last 2 sodes it's all fake and there's actually a purpose. In your face ;)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What i liked of it is in the middle of the season 1 they make it looks like it's going the same ridiculously stupid route as Lost. Then bang in the last 2 sodes it's all fake and there's actually a purpose. In your face ;)
Are they making a second season because I could actually be happy with that ending lol

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
How do you guys rate The Handmaid's Tale? It's insane how many good shows they put on these days.

Reactions: Runner77

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
almost every year i go back and binge through community again. everytime it gets better. season 1 is up there in terms of my favorite single season of any tv show.

don't really understand why season 5 and 6 are rated higher on rottentomatoes though. imo the show went on a steady, but not steep, decline past the first season, each season being (slightly) worst than the previous...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's on those Billboards?

The protagonist uses the billboards to shame local police into doing their work. Simple concept but creates a lot of confrontation and tense situations.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How do you guys rate The Handmaid's Tale? It's insane how many good shows they put on these days.

There's just too much quality programming. I never thought I'd be able to say that. Good money is being thrown at TV shows, with so many new players jostling for your attention. This is the Platinum Age of Television (we've way surpassed whatever used to be the Golden Age of TV), there has never been anything like it. Everytime I see something riveting, I find something equally as compelling. This is nuts.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For those who didn't hop in on Travelers (I'm excluding GoodKiwi who couldn't get into it, lol), Season 2 will be added to Netflix soon. I've been watching episodes weekly as they are being aired currently on Showcase. I love the storyline. Also love the cast. It's not your typical time travel concept but it's well-written, with so many layered stories and challenges faced by each of the main characters.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
For those who didn't hop in on Travelers (I'm excluding GoodKiwi who couldn't get into it, lol), Season 2 will be added to Netflix soon. I've been watching episodes weekly as they are being aired currently on Showcase. I love the storyline. Also love the cast. It's not your typical time travel concept but it's well-written, with so many layered stories and challenges faced by each of the main characters.

I had to give up Showcase, so I watched the full season 1 on the Netflix. I really like it too. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope they stopped the terrible tagline in their promos, though, "More speculative than Science Fiction!" I literally rolled my eyes every time I heard it.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad