Post-Game Talk: Let's begin...: Dec. 12, 2017: TOR 2 at PHI 4

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know we hate Hackstol's non emotion but Babcock's tantrums over a faceoff would get old real quick!
A great win and they played well. A bit sad this thread is only two pages long after winning the fourth in a row![/QUOTE]

It's because the GDT was left open for over an hour after the game so there are 4 pages of post game comments in that thread.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Glad they won...I haven't attended a game and witnesed a Flyers loss in quite some time. However, despite the win...still disappointed in the Flyers brand and style of play. That was a boring game for most of the night. If they would have lost I was ready to cover my head with the authentic fan tote bag they were handing out

Yes, it seemed boring at times. The reason, in my opinion, Flyers did a good job in slowing much faster opponent down and managing the speed of the game.

Reactions: hatcher

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I was at the game. Patrick floated all night long. He is a lot and I mean a lot slower than I thought. Zero acceleration. No top speed.....Wow....he has a long way to go. LLK line was buzzing.....love that line.
For all you MacDonald detractors....he played well. Provorov was a beast. Gudas must have gotten the word, played a good game and totally under control. Couts' goal was a thing of beauty and ditto Laughton's empty net goal. An aggressive move. Speed does kill. Simmonds is still hurt. He was really wobbling on his skates. G is God. Ghost made some nifty moves. Kadri and JvR were the 2 best on Toronto. Toronto needs 2 if not 3 quality defenseman to have a real chance at the SC. The Flyers 2 and 3 lines were not bad but really nothing special all night long. Weise......only had one real weise-like move.....;-))

Regarding my client....he had a another story. His cousin is married to the main announcer for the Canucks. Denis Potvin is the analyst for the Panthers. When he visited Florida, he asked Denis whether he remembers that hit....Denis said "oh yeah that snotty little s**t.....I wanted to show him what it is like to play real hockey not this deke this way and deke that way"

My song for the night is the Band: " The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"....gee I wonder why.....
sounds like you got wasted at the game with those takes...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’d be real curious to see Laughton as 3C, with TK on his right and Weal on his left. Laughton has been the one constant on his line, and he has done well whatever the other pieces, including with TK and Weal separately. He’s already been the 4A center of late, don’t see the harm in trying. He’s a good finisher and skater, TK is a good playmaker and skater, Weal is very good down low. Leier is nice with his energy, but Weal is better than him.

Weal-Patrick-Weise got the 4A minutes tonight and surprisingly enough, they didn’t do so hot. I thought Weal made a few good individual plays though. It won’t happen probably, and they have this weird obsession with not tapping into Laughton’s offense, but I think it’s worth trying and would improve the top 9.

It's pretty incredible how much better Laughton is than he was in 15-16.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Mac, I had a reverse take on these guys.

AMac had some good plays, but he also repeatedly surrendered the blue line, made a number of soft clearing passes that turned into giveaways, and wasn't a physical presence (nothing new). Provy (who was excellent in the third period) carried this pairing most of the night.

There was a lot of talk about Gudas leading the team in shots on goal, but Toronto's first goal was due to one of Radko's poor pinches, and his positioning was a little shaky for my liking. I like Radko's physical presence and right handed shot, but I'd like to see him play a more defensively solid game and let Sanheim take the offensive risks from time-to-time. The reverse rolls for this pairing don't make a lot of sense to me.

It will never happen, but I would love to see these pairings tried.

Provorov-Hagg
Sanheim-Ghost
MacDonald-Gudas

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It will never happen, but I would love to see these pairings tried.

Provorov-Hagg
Sanheim-Ghost
MacDonald-Gudas

Not this year. Sanheim is neither reliable enough or physical enough to pair with Ghost.
Now next year, if he's figured out the game and has added enough strength to hold his own in the D-zone, it might be worth visiting.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Swap Gudas and Hagg. Gudas has to be in the top 4 if this team has any chance. That would leave the 3rd pair shit, but if they are only going to play 12-14 minutes it won't matter too much. It won't happen though.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I enjoy beating the Leafs moreso than almost any other team in the league these days...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’d be real curious to see Laughton as 3C, with TK on his right and Weal on his left. Laughton has been the one constant on his line, and he has done well whatever the other pieces, including with TK and Weal separately. He’s already been the 4A center of late, don’t see the harm in trying. He’s a good finisher and skater, TK is a good playmaker and skater, Weal is very good down low. Leier is nice with his energy, but Weal is better than him.

Weal-Patrick-Weise got the 4A minutes tonight and surprisingly enough, they didn’t do so hot. I thought Weal made a few good individual plays though. It won’t happen probably, and they have this weird obsession with not tapping into Laughton’s offense, but I think it’s worth trying and would improve the top 9.

Considering the arc of Laughton's career, I am actually okay with them not putting too much on his plate at this point in the season. Let his confidence continue to slowly grow and he will eventually force them to give him more minutes. By next year, we could be looking at Couturier-Patrick-Laughton as the indisputable 1-2-3 down the middle.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For all of you that keep endorsing the idea of trading Ghost, he would've stopped that empty net goal nine out of ten times and at the very least would've dove on his face even if he couldn't. Compare that to a loser like Gardiner who completely stopped skating when he could've easily stopped that puck. I hope Babcock tore him a new ***hole for that pitiful display.

I f***ing love Ghost and no one will ever tell me otherwise. He has all the heart and will you can ask for out of a player. We could make a 5 minute highlight reel of all of his last-ditch effort plays.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Glad they won...I haven't attended a game and witnesed a Flyers loss in quite some time. However, despite the win...still disappointed in the Flyers brand and style of play. That was a boring game for most of the night. If they would have lost I was ready to cover my head with the authentic fan tote bag they were handing out

I missed most of the 2nd but I thought they played fast and hard in the 1st and 3rd.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Swap Gudas and Hagg. Gudas has to be in the top 4 if this team has any chance. That would leave the 3rd pair ****, but if they are only going to play 12-14 minutes it won't matter too much. It won't happen though.

However, that hurts Sanheim's development, with Gudas he has a security blanket, with Hagg, he's asked to do too much.

Trick should be to use Gudas on PK and double shift him once a period with Ghost, that's about 4 minutes a game above his 3rd line minutes. A very managable workload that reduces Hagg by a couple minutes a night.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
However, that hurts Sanheim's development, with Gudas he has a security blanket, with Hagg, he's asked to do too much.

Trick should be to use Gudas on PK and double shift him once a period with Ghost, that's about 4 minutes a game above his 3rd line minutes. A very managable workload that reduces Hagg by a couple minutes a night.
In that scenario Sanheim would play with Ghost who can very much pull his own weight. Or pair Ghost with Provorov and leave Sanheim with Gudas. It doesn't really matter but those 4 should be the top 4. Gudas has been one of the best 5v5 Dmen in the league the last 3 seasons. Giving him more PK time doesn't necessarily help the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
xGF% xGF% rel
Raffl 56.9 8.4
Voracek 55.4 7.6
Couts 53.9 5.6
Giroux 53.4 4.5
Laughton 53.3 4.7
Filppula 51.7 1.8
Leier 53.0 1.7

Three worst: Lehtera, Weise, Patrick
Weal, Konecny and Simmonds are also below 50% and negative Rel.

Problem with more minutes for Laughton is the role and the linemates.
He's probably best as a 4th line checking center and a 3rd line scoring LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad