Post-Game Talk: Let's begin...: Dec. 12, 2017: TOR 2 at PHI 4

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Laughton has basically been the 3C this year anyway. Especially recently...

EV TOI:

Couturier: 16:11
Filppula: 13:39
Laughton: 10:34
Patrick: 10:09

December: Laughton (11:35) Patrick (07:49)

Reactions: Striiker

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I quit drinking quite a few years ago. What I saw was some lazy back checking and hanging out to dry the defense. Voracek almost cost a goal or two. The unfortunate thing about TV is you only see parts of the game as opposed to being there and seeing everything develop. For Toronto, their defense is slower than I thought. Marner just hanging around the blue line and not back checking or virtually not trying.
It was hard to tell whether Elliot's first goal against was a fluke or he just played it bad. The ice was good for a while, but it seemed rather "slushy" to me after a while. There was more Toronto fans there than I thought there would be. Some drunk 2 rows above was berating the Toronto fans with some foul language to the point that a few fans with children were complaining and the offending fan left. And is the music getting louder at WFC???.......and it was fun watching the 5 years play.....the girls were the best players.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
I was at the game. Patrick floated all night long. He is a lot and I mean a lot slower than I thought. Zero acceleration. No top speed.....Wow....he has a long way to go.

I was at the game as well and thought the same thing. He looked really slow and kind of awkward. Before the game, I wanted to get her another jersey and wasn't sure if I should get her Patrick or Provorov. I went with Patrick and hope he will be around a bit for her to enjoy wearing it. Last Jersey I bought her was a Bryzgalov Winter Classic; so I don't have a strong track record in this regard. He really needs to step it up!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was at the game as well and thought the same thing. He looked really slow and kind of awkward. Before the game, I wanted to get her another jersey and wasn't sure if I should get her Patrick or Provorov. I went with Patrick and hope he will be around a bit for her to enjoy wearing it. Last Jersey I bought her was a Bryzgalov Winter Classic; so I don't have a strong track record in this regard. He really needs to step it up!

Nolan Patrick is going to be here for a verrrryyyy long time.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, it seemed boring at times. The reason, in my opinion, Flyers did a good job in slowing much faster opponent down and managing the speed of the game.
Good point..they were tactically boring like the Devil's of old. They won the battle...not sure the brand will be good enough to win the war if Hakstol sticks around and they continue to hitch their cart to him....

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Most underrated player this season is Elliot. He isn't as bad as some of the fans around the NHL say he is. He has that soft goal he lets in but overall he's solid.

He has been good, but I have seen him completely fall to pieces before, so the things they have said about him are kind of justified. I just hope he keeps trucking. Unless we end up out of the playoff picture, in which case I wouldn't mind him giving us a little draft assistance, like Bojack (ironically) last year.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Most underrated player this season is Elliot. He isn't as bad as some of the fans around the NHL say he is. He has that soft goal he lets in but overall he's solid.

With my admittedly biased negative feeling about Elliott, I am pleased that he has been solid to date. I was very prepared for the Flyers' goaltending tandem to be Frail and Fail. For better or worse, Elliott fits very well with the current Flyers game plan of collapsing around the net and blocking shots. Elliott seems to track pucks well through traffic and his sound positioning maximizes saves that he can't see or deflections.

That being said, I'm skeptical that this is the "real" Elliott and we are still very early in the season. Let's revisit his play in February and March, as the games mean more and more and the play is even tighter.

I still hate that Stolarz is missing much/all of this season. With Neuvirth out, now was his time to prove whether he could be an NHL goalie. Plus, several teams are looking for a reliable back-up. If Stolarz could have shown he could hold his own, Hextall could potentially find someone to overpay for either him or Neuvirth.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Watched the replay. Weal did well considering and I would like to see Weal-Laughton-TK. Patrick is doing literally nothing now without the flashes of potential. Filppula gave up two shots that could have been scoring changes and then mis-passed from the redline to Simmonds with the empty net in front of him. :huh:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Watched the replay. Weal did well considering and I would like to see Weal-Laughton-TK. Patrick is doing literally nothing now without the flashes of potential. Filppula gave up two shots that could have been scoring changes and then mis-passed from the redline to Simmonds with the empty net in front of him. :huh:

When you have linemates that don't add anything to your play or instill confidence in you, it's hard to do some things.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Leaf fans aren't happy.

DQzYmbEXkAI3nZb.jpg

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not this year. Sanheim is neither reliable enough or physical enough to pair with Ghost.
Now next year, if he's figured out the game and has added enough strength to hold his own in the D-zone, it might be worth visiting.
Holy f*** Deadhead, you're giving me chest pains man. :laugh:

I don't know if you're intentionally trying to kill me, but it's working.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
With my admittedly biased negative feeling about Elliott, I am pleased that he has been solid to date. I was very prepared for the Flyers' goaltending tandem to be Frail and Fail. For better or worse, Elliott fits very well with the current Flyers game plan of collapsing around the net and blocking shots. Elliott seems to track pucks well through traffic and his sound positioning maximizes saves that he can't see or deflections.

That being said, I'm skeptical that this is the "real" Elliott and we are still very early in the season. Let's revisit his play in February and March, as the games mean more and more and the play is even tighter.

I still hate that Stolarz is missing much/all of this season. With Neuvirth out, now was his time to prove whether he could be an NHL goalie. Plus, several teams are looking for a reliable back-up. If Stolarz could have shown he could hold his own, Hextall could potentially find someone to overpay for either him or Neuvirth.

This!

I've seen him play (randomly) throughout his career - I saw him when he was an AHL goalie and at Ottawa and never thought he was very good. I thought he was a MFL type - streaky in all leagues and a guy that would teeter between AHL and the NHL. And then under Hitchcock you could throw a broomstick in there and it would look like Bernie Parent (even Robert Esche didn't look as terrible as he is when he was coached by Hitch here). But, I must say - I don't think Elliott is great or particularly great at any one area of his game but I don't feel anxiety when he has to save the puck. To me, that steady feeling means he is doing something right. Also - being average across the board and making good saves when you have to is probably better for this team than other types of goalies.

Also - he looks like he would be a bartender at a pub. Every time I see him in those awkward photos/videos of the players, I am like this guy just looks like an average Joe who'd pour you a beer.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Holy **** Deadhead, you're giving me chest pains man. :laugh:

I don't know if you're intentionally trying to kill me, but it's working.

Leave my best friend alone.

I couldn't watch this one. How did it go? Any improvement on the whole "unsustainable winning while spending half the game sitting back to protect a lead in a scoring environment designed to punish such a strategy" front?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Leave my best friend alone.

I couldn't watch this one. How did it go? Any improvement on the whole "unsustainable winning while spending half the game sitting back to protect a lead in a scoring environment designed to punish such a strategy" front?

They dominated the Leafs.

Leafs went up 2-1 and it was looking like it would be one of those "dominate but somehow lose" games, until Konency scored one (he was with leier and Laughton and they were our 2nd best line in their meager 10 minutes of icetime). Then Giroux and Couturier did their typical godlike stuff and we went up 3-2 and an empty net goal by Laughton made it 4-2.

Overall, very good performance. Awesome guys were awesome (although Jake wasn't great) and the trash was trash, as usual.

Best part of the night. Awesome pass by Giroux, crazy shot my Couturier.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They dominated the Leafs.

Leafs went up 2-1 and it was looking like it would be one of those "dominate but somehow lose" games, until Konency scored one (he was with leier and Laughton and they were our 2nd best line in their meager 10 minutes of icetime). Then Giroux and Couturier did their typical godlike stuff and we went up 3-2 and an empty net goal by Laughton made it 4-2.

Overall, very good performance. Awesome guys were awesome (although Jake wasn't great) and the trash was trash, as usual.

Best part of the night. Awesome pass by Giroux, crazy shot my Couturier.

Excellent.

So they didn't relent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->