Post-Game Talk: Let's begin...: Dec. 12, 2017: TOR 2 at PHI 4

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers simply outplayed the Leafs, unfortunately a few mistakes lead to breakaways, but for the most part the Leafs were held to wide angle shots. Both teams got a "lucky" goal through traffic, Flyers had two good goals that were perfectly placed, Leafs got a gift from Elliott.

Konecny fits well on the "fourth line," he can stake and attack and not have to slow down and try to control the rush, something he just doesn't have a feel for right now.
Patrick looked a little better, long way to go but hopefully will come around by January.
Gudas was rusty, but that's to be expected.

Why would anyone think of moving Giroux back to center? Couts takes the defensive responsibilities, which doesn't slow him down but seems to have kept Giroux fresh.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
TK is like a Ferrari being driven by a legally blind geriatric with arthritis ridden hands, club feet, and a ear piece on the fritz.

You ever see Scent of a Woman?

5aRTIRF.png

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I missed second half of third. Really would like to see NP get more minutes but a nice win.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
My god... Philly Sports right now is a freakin' emotion roller-coaster ride... We Philly die-hards need Foles to grasp the moment lead us to a SuperBowl -- and preferably WIN -- the Flyers continue to win, and make the PostSeason, and win a Round... the Sixers to get back on track, and keep their stars on the court and also make the PostSeason, and win a Round... and the Phillies to sign some talented FAs and some positive Trades.

... We need no more franchise player injuries, ten game losing streaks, superstar drama, and sloppy, uninspired play on the base-paths.

... We need to flatten out the roller-coaster into forward speedway... my emotions just cannot take this much longer.

Anyway... Nice Win, Boys. :bow: :flyers

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Great great win here. We may look back on this one if we make the playoffs. It’s going to be an all out battle for the wild card spots aka the extra metro spots. Good to know we should be in the middle of it. Or at least approaching the middle. If we can pick up the points that we should coming up like buffalo x 2, wings, and panthers in the coming weeks we could be in a good spot with a just a few upsets mixed in. We finally have a little easier of a schedule coming up. Got to keep pushing.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I was at the game. Patrick floated all night long. He is a lot and I mean a lot slower than I thought. Zero acceleration. No top speed.....Wow....he has a long way to go. LLK line was buzzing.....love that line.
For all you MacDonald detractors....he played well. Provorov was a beast. Gudas must have gotten the word, played a good game and totally under control. Couts' goal was a thing of beauty and ditto Laughton's empty net goal. An aggressive move. Speed does kill. Simmonds is still hurt. He was really wobbling on his skates. G is God. Ghost made some nifty moves. Kadri and JvR were the 2 best on Toronto. Toronto needs 2 if not 3 quality defenseman to have a real chance at the SC. The Flyers 2 and 3 lines were not bad but really nothing special all night long. Weise......only had one real weise-like move.....;-))

Regarding my client....he had a another story. His cousin is married to the main announcer for the Canucks. Denis Potvin is the analyst for the Panthers. When he visited Florida, he asked Denis whether he remembers that hit....Denis said "oh yeah that snotty little s**t.....I wanted to show him what it is like to play real hockey not this deke this way and deke that way"

My song for the night is the Band: " The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"....gee I wonder why.....

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
For all you MacDonald detractors....he played well.

By what metric? He still unnecessarily put 3 or 4 shots off some shinpads, still ended up in the high slot covering nothing during a minute-plus long Leafs possession in his own zone while Provorov and a forward (Weise, maybe?) played as defensemen. And at least 3 or 4 times, he created extended zone stays that didn't have to happen by making panicky/awkward passes to unprepared players rather than taking a second to figure out the right play when he had tons of time to do so.

MacDonald's suck is like a rookie's, but he isn't one. He makes hurried plays that he doesn't have to make that result in entirely obligatory pushes by the opponent. In those situations, he often gets lost and ends up sitting on Provorov or the center's lap rather than figuring out where he should be.

The difference is, a neutered Matthews-less Leafs team did not capitalize and Elliott held the line. But hell, he makes every mistake that I forgive Hagg and Sanheim for, because they're 20-some games into their NHL careers and he's nearly 500 into his.

It isn't the 4 out of 5 easy plays he makes that are the problem, it's the 5th, where instead he wastes a forward line's entire shift by bogging them down in the zone because he was unwilling to skate the puck to the hashmarks and make a decent pass.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’d be real curious to see Laughton as 3C, with TK on his right and Weal on his left. Laughton has been the one constant on his line, and he has done well whatever the other pieces, including with TK and Weal separately. He’s already been the 4A center of late, don’t see the harm in trying. He’s a good finisher and skater, TK is a good playmaker and skater, Weal is very good down low. Leier is nice with his energy, but Weal is better than him.

Weal-Patrick-Weise got the 4A minutes tonight and surprisingly enough, they didn’t do so hot. I thought Weal made a few good individual plays though. It won’t happen probably, and they have this weird obsession with not tapping into Laughton’s offense, but I think it’s worth trying and would improve the top 9.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
For all you MacDonald detractors....he played well. Provorov was a beast. Gudas must have gotten the word, played a good game and totally under control.

Mac, I had a reverse take on these guys.

AMac had some good plays, but he also repeatedly surrendered the blue line, made a number of soft clearing passes that turned into giveaways, and wasn't a physical presence (nothing new). Provy (who was excellent in the third period) carried this pairing most of the night.

There was a lot of talk about Gudas leading the team in shots on goal, but Toronto's first goal was due to one of Radko's poor pinches, and his positioning was a little shaky for my liking. I like Radko's physical presence and right handed shot, but I'd like to see him play a more defensively solid game and let Sanheim take the offensive risks from time-to-time. The reverse rolls for this pairing don't make a lot of sense to me.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Other thoughts: Konecny really does deserve more time. There was an incident a shift or two before his goal where his line popped out for about 20-25 seconds during a transition into their own end, they won the puck back and were crossing center to dump it in and they got called back in, and you could see Travis kind of throw his hands up like "what the hell?" He's not a player that can thrive in spot time with grinders, he needs to get up and down the ice a few times.He'll feed off of it. He's a straightaway player, I don't know why he's put in situations where he's expected to grind possession, in either end.

Patrick I can't judge well because his linemates are a cactus and a cracked fishbowl.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Patrick is struggling. Linemates are not his crutch, nor should they be. He clearly hasn't overcome his summer of injuries

I wonder how long they force him into a position he can't keep up with. It's not helping his development right now

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim is still showing why his time gets limited, one sequence he gets in deep, blows the shot attempt, then hangs around the goal line instead of hustling back - it's the NHL, you have to skate hard to get back once the offensive play is dead. Still has some bad habits, but against a team that can skate like Toronto, it can cost you a game. He is still learning that you can't take time off on any shift in the NHL.

Thing I really don't like about MacDonald is his slow windup on his slapshot, easy to read, block and stop.

Konecny is not a playmaker, yes, he can pass at top speed, but he can't control play and set up linemates. Neither can Laughton, but if you put them with Weal, Weal slows them down, whereas Leier can't play make but he can skate with them. However, in the 3rd period with a lead, you don't want that line on the ice, b/c Konecny and Leier can't fight for the puck along the boards in the D-zone when the other team starts pressing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’d be real curious to see Laughton as 3C, with TK on his right and Weal on his left. Laughton has been the one constant on his line, and he has done well whatever the other pieces, including with TK and Weal separately. He’s already been the 4A center of late, don’t see the harm in trying. He’s a good finisher and skater, TK is a good playmaker and skater, Weal is very good down low. Leier is nice with his energy, but Weal is better than him.

Weal-Patrick-Weise got the 4A minutes tonight and surprisingly enough, they didn’t do so hot. I thought Weal made a few good individual plays though. It won’t happen probably, and they have this weird obsession with not tapping into Laughton’s offense, but I think it’s worth trying and would improve the top 9.

I agree with you. I'd like to see Weal - Laughton - Konecny as the 3rd line. Weal would give the line more skill than Leier and be able to create/capitalize on more chances. Leier, Patrick, and Weise should be getting the least minutes right now.

Reactions: RANKKA

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Glad they won...I haven't attended a game and witnesed a Flyers loss in quite some time. However, despite the win...still disappointed in the Flyers brand and style of play. That was a boring game for most of the night. If they would have lost I was ready to cover my head with the authentic fan tote bag they were handing out

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
For all of you that keep endorsing the idea of trading Ghost, he would've stopped that empty net goal nine out of ten times and at the very least would've dove on his face even if he couldn't. Compare that to a loser like Gardiner who completely stopped skating when he could've easily stopped that puck. I hope Babcock tore him a new ***hole for that pitiful display.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Babcock had the officials buffaloed.
I know we hate Hackstol's non emotion but Babcock's tantrums over a faceoff would get old real quick!
A great win and they played well. A bit sad this thread is only two pages long after winning the fourth in a row!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->