Value of: Leon Draisaitl

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Keep dreaming no one's offer sheeting him this year. He's gonna sign for a lot lower than people think in late August or start of training camp. Probably in the Tarasenko range.

At this point, I think you're right.

That wasn't the point of our discussions. I was just pointing out the fact that the Habs could still 'afford' it. Nothing else.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Really? Look at his numbers away from McDavid.

I get it.....fans are supposed to be homers, but come on.

Deep down I know everyone is worried that he gets signed for $9+ and then lays an egg without riding shotgun on Connor's wing.

EDIT: And by "laying an egg" I mean as compared to his cap hit. We all know he is a very good hockey player.

Only 16 points in 13 playoffs games away from McDavid. Terrible.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
At this point, I think you're right.

That wasn't the point of our discussions. I was just pointing out the fact that the Habs could still 'afford' it. Nothing else.

Canadiens can't afford it past 2017-18 season after Carey Price deal...kicks in next season

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Canadiens can't afford it past 2017-18 season after Carey Price deal...kicks in next season

They absolutely could...
I did the calculations the other day. (albeit it was with Carey at $10.0m per).

Say you go with a core of Draisaitl and Price at $10.0m each, Pacioretty (or someone of that caliber) at $8.5m (his next contract), Drouin and Galchenyuk at $5.5m each, and Weber at his current contract...that's $47.357m, leaving you with $27.643m to fill your line-up.

Say you fill your 4th lines and add 3 extras, along with a backup goaltender, at an average 900k each (which seems realistic), comes out to $6.3m. You now have $21.343m left for 5 forwards (two 2nd liners, and a third line), and 5 defenseman, for a $2.1m average salary.

Now, it's not a lot, but those would be surronding players. You take little bit here, give a little more there.

Then, if you factor-in a few bargain (guys like Lehkonen, Byron, or Danault this year) or a few players on ELC (Hudon, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete) ready to step up into one of these roles, that average goes up, and it becomes even more doable.

...and that's with a $75.0m cap.

No doubt in my mind, if the Habs wanted to go after Draisaitl, they could still do it. Might be a little more difficult now with Alzner's contract though. But I don't think Bergevin's gonna go that road anyway, so...

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
They absolutely could...
I did the calculations the other day. (albeit it was with Carey at $10.0m per).

Say you go with a core of Draisaitl and Price at $10.0m each, Pacioretty (or someone of that caliber) at $8.5m (his next contract), Drouin and Galchenyuk at $5.5m each, and Weber at his current contract...that's $47.357m, leaving you with $27.643m to fill your line-up.

Say you fill your 4th lines and add 3 extras, along with a backup goaltender, at an average 900k each (which seems realistic), comes out to $6.3m. You now have $21.343m left for 5 forwards (two 2nd liners, and a third line), and 5 defenseman, for a $2.1m average salary.

Now, it's not a lot, but those would be surronding players. You take little bit here, give a little more there.

Then, if you factor-in a few bargain (guys like Lehkonen, Byron, or Danault this year) or a few players on ELC (Hudon, Scherbak, Juulsen, Mete) ready to step up into one of these roles, that average goes up, and it becomes even more doable.

...and that's with a $75.0m cap.

No doubt in my mind, if the Habs wanted to go after Draisaitl, they could still do it. Might be a little more difficult now with Alzner's contract though. But I don't think Bergevin's gonna go that road anyway, so...

You think you can pay 47M to 6 players and fill 17 positions at the remaining at 27M?
Andrew Shaw and Gallagher are on the book at 4m and 3m. Alnzer at 6m and Petty at 5m.
That's 65M committed to 10 players if Draisaitl is 10M. I doubt Mtl could even afford Drai at 8M cap hit for 18-19 season.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
You think you can pay 47M to 6 players and fill 17 positions at the remaining at 27M?
Andrew Shaw and Gallagher are on the book at 4m and 3m. Alnzer at 6m and Petty at 5m.
That's 65M committed to 10 players if Draisaitl is 10M. I doubt Mtl could even afford Drai at 8M cap hit for 18-19 season.

Alzner at $6.0m ?
Did he win the lottery today ? ;)

Gallagher is easily tradable. Different story with Shaw...though you also have to consider that the $8.5m I gave to Pacioretty would only kick in in three years from now. By that time, Shaw could be easier to trade.

My point is...once you've identified your core, the other pieces around are, to a certain extent, interchangeable. Draisaitl, Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Weber and Price would be a good core to have. If you have guys like Lehkonen, Byron, Danault in your top-9, then you can add a contract like Gallagher to that core. You have a Jullsen and a Jerabek in your top-6 on defense, both taking less than $1.0m, then you have $2.8m on average to fill the remaining three spots on D.

Cap increases...you get another extra $3.0m to spread around.

And what's good for the Habs is also good for the Oils. All I'm saying is Price making $10.0m isn't an obstacle to paying Draisaitl, or anyone else for that matter. And I don't even like Price's contract. :)

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Alzner at $6.0m ?
Did he win the lottery today ? ;)

Gallagher is easily tradable. Different story with Shaw...though you also have to consider that the $8.5m I gave to Pacioretty would only kick in in three years from now. By that time, Shaw could be easier to trade.

My point is...once you've identified your core, the other pieces around are, to a certain extent, interchangeable. Draisaitl, Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Weber and Price would be a good core to have. If you have guys like Lehkonen, Byron, Danault in your top-9, then you can add a contract like Gallagher to that core. You have a Jullsen and a Jerabek in your top-6 on defense, both taking less than $1.0m, then you have $2.8m on average to fill the remaining three spots on D.

Cap increases...you get another extra $3.0m to spread around.

And what's good for the Habs is also good for the Oils. All I'm saying is Price making $10.0m isn't an obstacle to paying Draisaitl, or anyone else for that matter. And I don't even like Price's contract. :)

Alnzer cap hit for 2018-19 is 6m.
Contract dumps I.e. Gallagher are not that easy without taking contract back. Unless you want to throw away the asset.
I dont see a way Mtl can shoehorn Draisaitl in now man.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canadiens/salary

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
From a Habs POV an 11.5M offer sheet has to be considered. Once done trade Galchenyuk for a PMD and dump Shaw and a pick for a lower pick

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Stone + Ceci + 1st for Leon

EDM gets top 6 RW and young top 4 RD

OTT gets 1C, can deal off Brassard for help on D or the wing

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
From a Habs POV an 11.5M offer sheet has to be considered. Once done trade Galchenyuk for a PMD and dump Shaw and a pick for a lower pick

Dude, I don't even have Galchenyuk factored in. Shaw will save you 4m.

Let me outline this to you clearly.

2018-19
Price 10.5
Weber 6.0
Alnzer 6.0
Drouin 5.5
Pacioretty 5.0
Shaw 4.0
Gallagher 3.0
Petry 5.0

That's 45M at 8 players.
Add Draisaitl at 10m and 55M at 9 players.
The remaining 14 players signed will be AHL calibre. If Mtl offer sheets and ices that line up I'll take the 4x 1st rounders. Canadiens will be picking in the top 10 every year.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Stone + Ceci + 1st for Leon

EDM gets top 6 RW and young top 4 RD

OTT gets 1C, can deal off Brassard for help on D or the wing
I would consider this if Stone was re-signed long term first. Don't want him sponging off McDavid all year then asking for a big raise

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Alnzer cap hit for 2018-19 is 6m.
Contract dumps I.e. Gallagher are not that easy without taking contract back. Unless you want to throw away the asset.
I dont see a way Mtl can shoehorn Draisaitl in now man.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canadiens/salary

You've clearly select Salary. Scroll up to Cap Hit. Cap hits do not change during the duration of a contract. Alzner's cap hit is 4.625m per year.

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site

Lol nobody's gonna trade a PMD for Galchenyuk. Price for defence men is stupidly high nobody's gonna offer sheet Drai but if I'm wrong I hope to god it's from the Bergevin lead Habs cause those picks are gonna be low. One or even a series of injuries from Price and you could be looking at 4 lotto picks

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Nobody is going to trade a pmd for Galchenyuk? Are you being serious with that? There's literally not even a player mentioned.....

This is what hfboards is: someone posts something and the next post has to disagree vehemently to keep this board moving, even if it's as vague as a pmd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad