Value of: Leon Draisaitl

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
The compensation has to be his own picks, and I thought his 1st has guarantees for the next couple years that no matter where they finish they can't have worse than the #4 lottery position (as they did this year). I don't know how many years that lasts, but I think it's at least 2.

2 guaranteed top 6 picks? See you Drai.

I think Chiarelli should make that trade before Vegas needs to offer sheet

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought Drai and McD were getting signed today?

#confused

Rishaug thinks it will be announced at the end of the week. The Oilers management is in Jasper for the prospects camp so they'll probably wait until they're back in Edmonton.

Draisaitl might not get done until training camp if the Gaudreau negotiations were an indication of how things work with this agent.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I think they are both signed and just waiting to announce it. I can't come up with a better reason why Draisaitl hasn't signed an offer sheet yet, there is literally no reason other than cap issues why 30 other teams wouldn't sign him to one.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I think they are both signed and just waiting to announce it. I can't come up with a better reason why Draisaitl hasn't signed an offer sheet yet, there is literally no reason other than cap issues why 30 other teams wouldn't sign him to one.

Math by Allan Mitchell, aka Lowetide link/:

Leon Draisaitl with Connor McDavid: 10-15-25 2.24 5x—5/60 (53.7% Corsi for 5x—5)
Connor McDavid with Leon Draisaitl: 11-23-34 3.04 5x—5/60 (53.7% Corsi for 5x—5)
Leon Draisaitl without Connor McDavid: 3-12-15 1.80 5x—5/60 (47.9% Corsi for 5x—5)
Connor McDavid without Leon Draisaitl: 10-19-29 2.72 5x—5/60 (52.1% Corsi for 5x—5)

Leon's a great player, but look at the numbers with McDavid.

Is he, as Allan points out, getting zoomed by playing with McDavid?

If so, is an offer sheet wise?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

That and offer sheets really aren't a thing anymore. The GMs want to play nice and not risk their own RFA's.

Take Boston for example. If they tendered Draisaitl an offer sheet, an angry Chiarelli could do the exact same thing to Pastrnak.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
A few of the teams that could offer sheet him don't have the necessary picks for compensation, unless they want to sign Leon to a huge deal that costs four 1sts. Other teams don't have enough cap space, or won't once they re-sign their own RFAs.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Offer sheet is the only option. I'm not sure what type of package that Edmonton would want or Montreal could provide

Funny thing is last year had they dropped the price of Subban marginally they could have easily made a trade and probably got Drai+, instead of asking for the 4th overall, klefbom, plus more.

Interesting take on hindsight Canadien fans would you rather have Weber going forward with that contract/ age or Drai?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

Because very few teams are actually in a good position to sign him to an offer sheet. Everyone keeps tossing out Montreal should sign him to an offer sheet but that would require giving him 10-11 AAV or so, cost them 4 first round picks, and they would be unable to keep Galchenyuk. It's not as easy as everyone likes to believe

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Because very few teams are actually in a good position to sign him to an offer sheet. Everyone keeps tossing out Montreal should sign him to an offer sheet but that would require giving him 10-11 AAV or so, cost them 4 first round picks, and they would be unable to keep Galchenyuk. It's not as easy as everyone likes to believe

Not to mention the rumoured Price extension is in the 10 mil per range.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Math by Allan Mitchell, aka Lowetide link/:

Leon Draisaitl with Connor McDavid: 10-15-25 2.24 5xâ€â€5/60 (53.7% Corsi for 5xâ€â€5)
Connor McDavid with Leon Draisaitl: 11-23-34 3.04 5xâ€â€5/60 (53.7% Corsi for 5xâ€â€5)
Leon Draisaitl without Connor McDavid: 3-12-15 1.80 5xâ€â€5/60 (47.9% Corsi for 5xâ€â€5)
Connor McDavid without Leon Draisaitl: 10-19-29 2.72 5xâ€â€5/60 (52.1% Corsi for 5xâ€â€5)

Leon's a great player, but look at the numbers with McDavid.

Is he, as Allan points out, getting zoomed by playing with McDavid?

If so, is an offer sheet wise?

Problem is he played amazing in the playoffs without McDavid. Also during the season when he did not play with McDwvid he played on the third line with trash.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Problem is he played amazing in the playoffs without McDavid. Also during the season when he did not play with McDwvid he played on the third line with trash.

And did very well.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pl...6&stype=2&sit=5v5&rate=n&v=p&playerid=8477934

He played a lot with Hall but here's Drai's cf% with and w/o Hall

together 52.04 ...Drai w/o Hall 53.04 ...Hall w/o Drai 52.08

ff% with and w/o Hall
together 52.14 ...Drai w/o Hall 54.89 ...Hall w/o Drai 51.61

His stats last season were boosted by McDavid to a greater degree than McDavid's were boosted by Drai's. Both play better together than apart but McD helps Drai more than Drai helps McDavid. Not surprisingly. I don't think that any GM would expect otherwise.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And did very well.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/pl...6&stype=2&sit=5v5&rate=n&v=p&playerid=8477934

He played a lot with Hall but here's Drai's cf% with and w/o Hall

together 52.04 ...Drai w/o Hall 53.04 ...Hall w/o Drai 52.08

ff% with and w/o Hall
together 52.14 ...Drai w/o Hall 54.89 ...Hall w/o Drai 51.61

His stats last season were boosted by McDavid to a greater degree than McDavid's were boosted by Drai's. Both play better together than apart but McD helps Drai more than Drai helps McDavid. Not surprisingly. I don't think that any GM would expect otherwise.

William Nylanders numbers with / without Matthews see similar swings. I don't think anyone would doubt his talent.

That said I really hope Drai's agent doesn't play hardball for too long here.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Problem is, Mc David was the #1 centre and drawing defensive coverage. This left a matchup difficulty for teams against Draisaitl. On another team with Drai as the #1 there would not be favourable matchup.
Moreover, the majority of Draisaitl playoff minutes were played with Mcdavid.
In 2015-16 Drai needed Hall to drive the offence. In 2016-17 he needed Mcdavid.

Before I give a big contract to Drai I need more convincing that he can drive offence on his own.
Bridge contract of 2 yrs.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Problem is, Mc David was the #1 centre and drawing defensive coverage. This left a matchup difficulty for teams against Draisaitl. On another team with Drai as the #1 there would not be favourable matchup.
Moreover, the majority of Draisaitl playoff minutes were played with Mcdavid.
In 2015-16 Drai needed Hall to drive the offence. In 2016-17 he needed Mcdavid.

Before I give a big contract to Drai I need more convincing that he can drive offence on his own.
Bridge contract of 2 yrs.

Could you have not made the same argument with Malkin?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I suggested this trade a while back, and it might still fit or nah?

Wennberg and Savard for Draisatil and Benning.

Gives the Oilers a complete top 4, and gives the Jackets a good center, while a promising RHD. But I mean most Jackets and Oilers fans seem reluctant but were realistic about it. I remember one or two guys that were criminally biased. "Wennberg is already an elite 1C, while Draisaitl might become a decent 2C one day...."

CBJ would do this.. not happily, but it could work

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not to mention the rumoured Price extension is in the 10 mil per range.

looking at the Habs cap though, it might work

They have 15 million in space today, without Galchenyuk signed. They'll pay him, what, 7 million?

Price might get 10 million but could get less AAV with an 8 year deal that has some lean years at the end.

Plekanec comes off the books, so that's 6 million AAV available. They can save 500k-ish by walking from Davidson and replacing him cheap.

So maybe with a little bit of cap growth they could give a 10 million AAV deal to Drai.

But I don't think it's happening.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
CBJ would do this.. not happily, but it could work

It could work for Columbus. Not Edmonton.

Or at least if we had a GM who didn't trade offensive players for pennies on the dollar it wouldn't work. Knowing Chiarelli you'd probably get him for Brandon Dubinsky and Scott Harrington.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Funny thing is last year had they dropped the price of Subban marginally they could have easily made a trade and probably got Drai+, instead of asking for the 4th overall, klefbom, plus more.

Interesting take on hindsight Canadien fans would you rather have Weber going forward with that contract/ age or Drai?

Well, to be fair, I think the rumored offer also included MTL's 1st, 9th overall. Which gave us Sergachev, who then became Drouin. I also believe there was no 'plus more' attached to that; wasn't it Subban + 9th for Draisaitl, Klefbom/Nurse and 4th ?

As for our choice between Weber or Draisaitl...come on, you know the answer to that. ;)

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
looking at the Habs cap though, it might work

They have 15 million in space today, without Galchenyuk signed. They'll pay him, what, 7 million?

Price might get 10 million but could get less AAV with an 8 year deal that has some lean years at the end.

Plekanec comes off the books, so that's 6 million AAV available. They can save 500k-ish by walking from Davidson and replacing him cheap.

So maybe with a little bit of cap growth they could give a 10 million AAV deal to Drai.

But I don't think it's happening.

I don't think it's happening either, eventhough it should in my opinion. That being said, the Habs could absolutely afford it.

I doubt Galchenyuk is going to get $7.0m...at least, not from Bergevin. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say Bergevin is open to three scenarios :

a) Signing him to a 1-year deal, at a lower cap (between $3.75m and $4.25m), which would give the organization another year to evaluate him, and allow Galchenyuk to sign his long-term deal based on a new set of stats.

b) Signing him to a Drouin type of deal, which is $5.5m per, 6 years.

c) Trading him for a player he feels more comfortable negociating a long term deal with.

I think those are the options he has in mind. Bergevin has many flaws, but one thing he can be fairly good at is contract negotiations. He's the one who signed Pacioretty at $4.5m, Gallagher at $3.75m and Price at $6.5m. That Drouin deal is also looking pretty good if you ask me, and will look even better if it serves as a base for Galchenyuk.

So Bergevin drives a hard bargain, but he usually gets it done (minus a few deals, ala Plekanec).

Right now, we have roughly $14.0m in capspace, depending on who you're keeping on the roster. Add Galchenyuk at $5.5m, we're at $8.5m, with Plekanec still on the team, at $6.0m. Give $10.0m at Draisaitl, trade Plekanec (with other compensation if you need)...the Habs would still have $4.5m, which should be enough to extend Price next year.

So yeah, they could afford it.
...but they probably won't even try.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad