Value of: Leon Draisaitl

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Well, to be fair, I think the rumored offer also included MTL's 1st, 9th overall. Which gave us Sergachev, who then became Drouin. I also believe there was no 'plus more' attached to that; wasn't it Subban + 9th for Draisaitl, Klefbom/Nurse and 4th ?

As for our choice between Weber or Draisaitl...come on, you know the answer to that. ;)

That's not the choice.
It was Draisaitl, Nurse and #4 overall (Puljujarvi)
For Subban.
Now it would be straight up Drai for Subban and I'm not sure Oilers go that one now.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't think it's happening either, eventhough it should in my opinion. That being said, the Habs could absolutely afford it.

I doubt Galchenyuk is going to get $7.0m...at least, not from Bergevin. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say Bergevin is open to three scenarios :

a) Signing him to a 1-year deal, at a lower cap (between $3.75m and $4.25m), which would give the organization another year to evaluate him, and allow Galchenyuk to sign his long-term deal based on a new set of stats.

b) Signing him to a Drouin type of deal, which is $5.5m per, 6 years.

c) Trading him for a player he feels more comfortable negociating a long term deal with.

I think those are the options he has in mind. Bergevin has many flaws, but one thing he can be fairly good at is contract negotiations. He's the one who signed Pacioretty at $4.5m, Gallagher at $3.75m and Price at $6.5m. That Drouin deal is also looking pretty good if you ask me, and will look even better if it serves as a base for Galchenyuk.

So Bergevin drives a hard bargain, but he usually gets it done (minus a few deals, ala Plekanec).

Right now, we have roughly $14.0m in capspace, depending on who you're keeping on the roster. Add Galchenyuk at $5.5m, we're at $8.5m, with Plekanec still on the team, at $6.0m. Give $10.0m at Draisaitl, trade Plekanec (with other compensation if you need)...the Habs would still have $4.5m, which should be enough to extend Price next year.

So yeah, they could afford it.
...but they probably won't even try.

Yea that's not at all how things would work out. Galchenyuk is going to be wondering where his money is at if the Habs give 10+million to Draisaitl. Even if the Oilers would match the offer sheet Galchenyuk would want to get paid after seeing it. There are consequences to tendering massive offer sheets. Galchenyuk wouldn't just happily sign for half of what Draisaitl is offered by the Habs.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
How's this for an offer?
Draisaitl
Nurse

For

Staal (not negotiable, contingent on waive nmc)
Choice of McDonagh/Skjei
Choice of Kreider/Zuccarello

Terrible?

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
How's this for an offer?
Draisaitl
Nurse

For

Choice of McDonagh/Skjei

Terrible?

Yep, Yep it is

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
How's this for an offer?
Draisaitl
Nurse

For

Choice of McDonagh/Skjei

Terrible?

Just money wise all of these players (chosing the cheapest ones) costs more than 11M...it becomes a bargain signing Drai.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Yep, Yep it is

LOL. Ok. I don't do a lot of these. I figured Staal could be useful in a 5 or 6 role and is there for the cap. McDonagh is better than Skjei today but won't be for long so either guy is like a 1 or 2 guy, and if Maroon can score like he does on McDavids wing either one of Kreider or Zucc could either surpass that or strengthen second line scoring. I thought it was fair. It's not like I threw a bunch of garage sale junk in...

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It could work for Columbus. Not Edmonton.

Or at least if we had a GM who didn't trade offensive players for pennies on the dollar it wouldn't work. Knowing Chiarelli you'd probably get him for Brandon Dubinsky and Scott Harrington.

Prior to this thread I didn't realize Draisaitl was a 10M player - I figured term for 5.5 - 6 on a five year. 10M is a different stratisphere for our small market team. Good for you, not our money right?

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
That's not the choice.
It was Draisaitl, Nurse and #4 overall (Puljujarvi)
For Subban.
Now it would be straight up Drai for Subban and I'm not sure Oilers go that one now.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the deal included a swap of pick.

But it doesn't matter...at the end of the day, 9th overall pick or not, the Habs would be better off with Draisaitl than Weber. I have no problem admitting that.

...and if Bergevin didn't offer the 9th pick in the deal, then he's a fool for thinking Chiarellli would accept that. Though, if anything, the Subban deal shows you how difficult it can be to get the value you want on the trade market, for someone who's making $9.0m+ per, no matter how special that player is.

Bergevin didn't want Subban's NMC to kick-in, and eventually had to settle for Weber, because Nashville was one of only a few teams to put an offer on the table.

Yea that's not at all how things would work out. Galchenyuk is going to be wondering where his money is at if the Habs give 10+million to Draisaitl. Even if the Oilers would match the offer sheet Galchenyuk would want to get paid after seeing it. There are consequences to tendering massive offer sheets. Galchenyuk wouldn't just happily sign for half of what Draisaitl is offered by the Habs.

Except, I don't think Galchenyuk would stay in Montreal if we were to acquire a guy like Draisaitl. And there's no-way he would if those were his demands. Bergevin is reportedly already shopping him, because he's not sold on the guy...there's no possible scenario where Galchenyuk can get that kind of money from Bergevin.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
so if an offer sheet were signed and its under 9 the oilers get 2 first and 3rd and 4th? something like that? if its over 9 its 4 firsts? I can't remember the exact $ figure.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
so if an offer sheet were signed and its under 9 the oilers get 2 first and 3rd and 4th? something like that? if its over 9 its 4 firsts? I can't remember the exact $ figure.

It's not that simple, number of years also have an effect.
I'm sure someone will post a link (don't have that link right now) but if you were to give, say $9.0m per on an 7-year contract (so $63.0m total), the compensation would then be based on a 5-year average (so $12.6m)...which would put you in the last bracket.

If I remember correctly, the bar is set at $9.8m something...under, it's two 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd...over, it's 4 firsts.

...and in my opinion, you would have to be in that very last bracket for the Oilers even thinking about not matching the offer.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How's this for an offer?
Draisaitl
Nurse

For

Choice of McDonagh/Skjei

Terrible?

Definitely not good. Edmonton loses the best player in the deal, takes back a cap dump in Staal, actually ends up taking more money back than if they'd just signed Drai, and the only pieces with value coming back are LD and wingers, areas we need the least.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I'd probably go with whatever Edmonton asked for from NYR. Not a single player/prospect would be untouchable when looking at a legit, 21yr old #1 C.

McDonagh NYR #1 D
Buchnevich NYR #1 Prospect
2018 1st

Is that in the realm?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the deal included a swap of pick.

But it doesn't matter...at the end of the day, 9th overall pick or not, the Habs would be better off with Draisaitl than Weber. I have no problem admitting that.

...and if Bergevin didn't offer the 9th pick in the deal, then he's a fool for thinking Chiarellli would accept that. Though, if anything, the Subban deal shows you how difficult it can be to get the value you want on the trade market, for someone who's making $9.0m+ per, no matter how special that player is.

Bergevin didn't want Subban's NMC to kick-in, and eventually had to settle for Weber, because Nashville was one of only a few teams to put an offer on the table.

Except, I don't think Galchenyuk would stay in Montreal if we were to acquire a guy like Draisaitl. And there's no-way he would if those were his demands. Bergevin is reportedly already shopping him, because he's not sold on the guy...there's no possible scenario where Galchenyuk can get that kind of money from Bergevin.

And that's why I said it makes offer sheets difficult. It's not just the picks Montreal would lose. You can't just go around handing other teams players massive pay days and then cheap out on your own players. If Draisaitl would sign a 10+ million dollar contract with Montreal what would Price want as the face of the franchise and the teams best player? They would also get a poor return on Galchenyuk under imminent threat of an offer sheet or likely just lose him for a 1st+ lower round picks. It's not nearly as simple as hand out a big offer sheet and then just give up 4 late 1st round picks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's not that simple, number of years also have an effect.
I'm sure someone will post a link (don't have that link right now) but if you were to give, say $9.0m per on an 7-year contract (so $63.0m total), the compensation would then be based on a 5-year average (so $12.6m)...which would put you in the last bracket.

If I remember correctly, the bar is set at $9.8m something...under, it's two 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd...over, it's 4 firsts.

...and in my opinion, you would have to be in that very last bracket for the Oilers even thinking about not matching the offer.

That's right, the max division of the total salary is by 5, even if the deal is 6 or 7 years.

So, 6 year deal >~8.2M puts it into the 4 1st pick bracket. A 7 year deal >7M AAV puts it in 4 1st rounder territory too. And of course the current team can offer 8 years.

So, if a player is most interested in term, the offer sheets aren't actually that enticing, unless a team is cool with losing 4 1st round picks.

1st round picks carry a lot more weight these days too because of the new lottery system. If a middling team is giving Drai a massive pay day, which would require most teams to blow things up quite a bit in their current roster, they very well could miss the playoffs multiple times in those 4 years. Every time they miss they get to see their pick go through 3 rounds of lottery to possibly become #1, #2 or #3 OA for another team. Lots of potential for embarrassment :)

Think a lot of these factors and more are the reason we have only seen 1 offer sheet signed since the new CBA. And that one was a career distorting deal for O'Rielly that I'm not sure created an experience most players want to go through (short term deal, super high 2nd year salary for a massive qualifying offer that's near impossible to live up to, leading to team elected arbitration and general awkwardness, etc...). Basically a deal that guarantees either way you won't be with your current club long term because even if they match, inevitably the relationship with the team will be broken.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
An offer sheet of 9.5m+ (since EDM likely won't extend him at that price).

So basically either 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third
or 4 firsts

This makes the most sense of any proposals I've read so far. Although I generally don't like the offer sheet approach, this guy in this situation is a prime candidate.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Oil sign him to similar contact as Lucic but 8 years too.

no thx for Eichel str8 up.

Really? Look at his numbers away from McDavid.

I get it.....fans are supposed to be homers, but come on.

Deep down I know everyone is worried that he gets signed for $9+ and then lays an egg without riding shotgun on Connor's wing.

EDIT: And by "laying an egg" I mean as compared to his cap hit. We all know he is a very good hockey player.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
And that's why I said it makes offer sheets difficult. It's not just the picks Montreal would lose. You can't just go around handing other teams players massive pay days and then cheap out on your own players. If Draisaitl would sign a 10+ million dollar contract with Montreal what would Price want as the face of the franchise and the teams best player? They would also get a poor return on Galchenyuk under imminent threat of an offer sheet or likely just lose him for a 1st+ lower round picks. It's not nearly as simple as hand out a big offer sheet and then just give up 4 late 1st round picks

Well, problem solved. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad