Value of: Leon Draisaitl

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
You've clearly select Salary. Scroll up to Cap Hit. Cap hits do not change during the duration of a contract. Alzner's cap hit is 4.625m per year.

Ok, got it.
Still doesn't change the picture that much.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Alnzer cap hit for 2018-19 is 6m.
Contract dumps I.e. Gallagher are not that easy without taking contract back. Unless you want to throw away the asset.
I dont see a way Mtl can shoehorn Draisaitl in now man.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canadiens/salary

That's not Alzner's caphit, that's his salary.
Caphit is $4.65. Meaning he'll be even more tradable from year 4-5.

Gallagher, for what he brings to a team, with that contract...there's no doubt in my mind he's tradable without sending any salaries back. No doubt.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His numbers without McDavid are closer to a 60 point player ... I don't think teams want to take the risk of a $9 per+ on that. With McDavid sure, he's a 75+ point player, but Galchenyuk is probably also a 70+ point player next to McDavid so are a good number of other players. The whole thing doesn't work unless you have a Connor McDavid to begin with.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
I would consider this if Stone was re-signed long term first. Don't want him sponging off McDavid all year then asking for a big raise

Fair point. I think it meets the Oilers needs fairly well.

Pass. We'd need a C coming back capable of playing top 6 minutes. You don't have one to spare.

Plus I'm not a fan of Ceci in the slightest.

What if it was Stone + Brassard + 1st.
That gives you the first line RW and a second line center at reasonable $$$.

Can also throw in Wideman as a bottom pairing offensive minded RD.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
His numbers without McDavid are closer to a 60 point player ... I don't think teams want to take the risk of a $9 per+ on that. With McDavid sure, he's a 75+ point player, but Galchenyuk is probably also a 70+ point player next to McDavid so are a good number of other players. The whole thing doesn't work unless you have a Connor McDavid to begin with.

I see posters calling for +$9M contracts, and I can't see it. He's a great young player, and a big-bodied playmaking centre, but his play has come with asterisks, playing with Hall and McDavid. Had a great playoffs without McDavid, but the best defenders were deployed against McDavid.

What team would offer a contract that Edmonton wouldn't match?

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair point. I think it meets the Oilers needs fairly well.

What if it was Stone + Brassard + 1st.
That gives you the first line RW and a second line center at reasonable $$$.

Can also throw in Wideman as a bottom pairing offensive minded RD.

Trouble with that one is it doesn't provide any cap savings and we're better off with Drai.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Trouble with that one is it doesn't provide any cap savings and we're better off with Drai.

Brassard at 5M and Stone at 3.5M, you're getting two players for the price of one Draisaitl who should be in the $7-$10M range. Stone being restricted for the next two seasons help keeps the cap hit down.

Even when Stone is unrestricted in two years and needs to be re signed, Brassard's contract is up. You can probably re sign Stone in the $5-6M range and see if Brassard is willing to take less money or let him walk and hopefully have one of your prospects over take his spot.

If those cap savings aren't enough, Colin White is maybe what you're looking for. He's probably ready to play second or third line minutes at center this coming season, but is unproven.

I'd assume Oilers fans would want more. Pageau might be a compromise for both sides. He's a fan favorite in Ottawa and I'd hate to give him up, but he can slide in at that 2C/3C role at a more reasonable cost than Brassard since he's an RFA with less offensive production.

Stone Pageau 1st for Leon in that case.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Galchenyuk doesn't have the IQ to be a 70+ point player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Galchenyuk doesn't have the IQ to be a 70+ point player.

It's not like Patrick Maroon is Einstein out there, he's rode McDavid's coat tails to 27 goals. Just have to get open and tap the puck into the (what is usually a gaping open) net.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Stone Pageau 1st for Leon in that case.

Problem is that Edmonton doesn't need to move Draisaitl, and doesn't really need what is being offered.

If Edmonton were looking to move Draisaitl, it would likely be a 1-for-1 deal, and Ottawa doesn't have a player that I think that they would be willing to move in a 1-for-1 deal.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Say Montreal offers Draisaitl 9 million over 7 years

What if Montreal is prepared to offer $10M times 7 years, but has a trade proposal as an alternative:

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lindgren
Jerabek
2nd 2018

Draisatl
Fayne (cap dump)
4th 2018
7th 2018
5th 2019

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What if Montreal is prepared to offer $10M times 7 years, but has a trade proposal as an alternative:

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lindgren
Jerabek
2nd 2018

Draisatl
Fayne (cap dump)
4th 2018
7th 2018
5th 2019

Not willing to include that 7th rounder. No deal

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lindgren
Jerabek
2nd 2018

Draisatl
Fayne (cap dump)
4th 2018
7th 2018
5th 2019

Edmonton says no. Matches the offer sheet. Trades Draisaitl.
I think Montreal is better off focusing on Duchene via trade

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Edmonton says no. Matches the offer sheet. Trades Draisaitl.
I think Montreal is better off focusing on Duchene via trade

If a team matches the offer sheet, they cannot trade the player for one full year.

Perhaps you could suggest tweaking of my hypothetical trade offer?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If a team matches the offer sheet, they cannot trade the player for one full year.

Perhaps you could suggest tweaking of my hypothetical trade offer?

Montreal doesn't have the pieces.
Top end talent there are 30+.
Much better option elsewhere. Canadiens are in deep doodoo for a long time

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Montreal doesn't have the pieces.
Top end talent there are 30+.
Much better option elsewhere. Canadiens are in deep doodoo for a long time

So, either Edmonton matches a 7 x $10M offer sheet or you think that with 4 first round draft picks, you can do better than

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lindgren

Two guys who have scored 20 and one who has scored 30, just in the past two seasons, plus the Habs' best goalie prospect who is already near the NHL. So for about the same $10M or so, you have about 70 goals there and a great cheap backup for Talbot.

History has shown that late first round picks (they should be between 21st and 31st) only become good NHL players about 35% of the time.

Regardless of my opinion (the package is better than the four 1sts), you have not addressed whether YOU really think four firsts is better than the package I put together, or whether you would be prepared to match 7 x $10M.

Instead you made a statement that you would match and then trade, which is not allowed for at least 1 year, and when corrected, chose to ignore dealing with your error and how it affected your previous attempt to brush off the problem, by trying a new brushoff, dissing Montreal's pieces and future.

I'm hoping you will address the questions being raised, I'm genuinely interested in your view.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So, either Edmonton matches a 7 x $10M offer sheet or you think that with 4 first round draft picks, you can do better than

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lindgren

Two guys who have scored 20 and one who has scored 30, just in the past two seasons, plus the Habs' best goalie prospect who is already near the NHL. So for about the same $10M or so, you have about 70 goals there and a great cheap backup for Talbot.

History has shown that late first round picks (they should be between 21st and 31st) only become good NHL players about 35% of the time.

Regardless of my opinion (the package is better than the four 1sts), you have not addressed whether YOU really think four firsts is better than the package I put together, or whether you would be prepared to match 7 x $10M.

Instead you made a statement that you would match and then trade, which is not allowed for at least 1 year, and when corrected, chose to ignore dealing with your error and how it affected your previous attempt to brush off the problem, by trying a new brushoff, dissing Montreal's pieces and future.

I'm hoping you will address the questions being raised, I'm genuinely interested in your view.

Oilers are going to want a young effective centre coming back. Galchenyuk is young, but not effective. Essentially a LW which Edm does not need.

From PHIL something that starts with Couturier plus maybe one of the young D stars

underdog

Jul 30, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Byron
Lindgren
Jerabek
2nd 2018

Draisatl
Fayne (cap dump)
4th 2018
7th 2018
5th 2019

That's a tempting offer, but the problem is Emonton needs Draistl against teams like Anaheim and San Jose in the playoffs. Montreal should focus their sights elsewhere, why risk messing up your team for a player who would screw their cap up without really improving the team.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It's not like Patrick Maroon is Einstein out there, he's rode McDavid's coat tails to 27 goals. Just have to get open and tap the puck into the (what is usually a gaping open) net.

True, but Maroon isn't a 70 point player. And Maroon has a springily good knack for getting to the net and finding open areas.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really understand why the Habs don't just commit to Galchenyuk at C. Like seriously try it for a year and see how it goes.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think that a deal could be done at the time with one of our young D.

The ask would rightfully involve Provorov, and I wouldn't be ok with that.

Sanheim, Couturier, and Blues 1st, whenever we get it. About as high as I'd feel comfortable going.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: