Proposal: Leon Draisaitl for Rasmus Dahlin

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
XXX team gets a guaranteed #1 Center, playoff beast who's locked up long term and who can be an immediate impact to a struggling team.

Can't even center his own 2nd line, yet is somehow a #1 center. A "playoff beast" who has played a whopping 13 playoff games. Locked up long term on a contract he isn't worth. An immediate impact by eating cap space and not being able to carry his play on his own.

Draisaitl is good, but stop kidding yourself if you think any of what you wrote is true.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think people are throwing "generational" around a bit too much. I like Dahlin, but come on..lets wait and see if he can be that player we think he can be.

To me, he's on the same level as a Bryan Berard just plays a different style. We'll have to wait and see if he can be the next Karlsson ...

I also fully expect the Oilers to win the lottery, so other teams should give up now :cool:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I think people are throwing "generational" around a bit too much. I like Dahlin, but come on..lets wait and see if he can be that player we think he can be.

To me, he's on the same level as a Bryan Berard just plays a different style. We'll have to wait and see if he can be the next Karlsson ...

I also fully expect the Oilers to win the lottery, so other teams should give up now :cool:

I put my vote on Arizona this time.

Reactions: Heldig

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Edmonton does this to clear cap space and to take a gamble on a potential #1 D-man.

XXX team gets a guaranteed #1 Center, playoff beast who's locked up long term and who can be an immediate impact to a struggling team.

Past #1 overall Defensemen.
  • 2014 - Aaron Ekblad
  • 2006 - Erik Johnson
  • 1996 - Chris Phillips
  • 1995 - Bryan Berard
  • 1994 - Ed Jovanovski
  • 1992 - Roman Hamrlik

none of these guys had even half the hype Dahlin has.

Dahlin probably steps in right away as a top 3 talent under 21 (With McDavid and Matthews)

maybe if a team stacked with talent on D wins the lottery (Carolina) they would trade pick #1 for Draisaitl +Oilers 1st? (assuming its top 10)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Berard did have a lot of hype and so did Jovanowski (I think because Jovanowski started playing when he was 14 or something ridiculous like that) He had Hall of Fame written all over him.

First overall Dmen seem meh over the years though...Jovanowski/Hamrlik/Berard to me are the ok ones out of that list.

Hockey down under

Feb 13, 2017
A lot of forwards come into the draft ranked #1 and there isn't a ton of hype. McDavid and Matthews have been the exceptions to that. You have to go back to Crosby and Ovechkin to find the last forwards hyped that much that you knew they would go first. You knew they'd be specials players.

There hasn't been a defensemen hyped up this much in a long long time. Ekblad and Seth Jones both looked like they had the promise of being a #1 going into their draft years but Dahlin is a clear step ahead at a similar age. He's making grown men look absolutely silly.

Harder to gauge a young defensemen compared to a young forward but the kid looks like the real deal.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
A lot of forwards come into the draft ranked #1 and there isn't a ton of hype. McDavid and Matthews have been the exceptions to that. You have to go back to Crosby and Ovechkin to find the last forwards hyped that much that you knew they would go first. You knew they'd be specials players.

There hasn't been a defensemen hyped up this much in a long long time. Ekblad and Seth Jones both looked like they had the promise of being a #1 going into their draft years but Dahlin is a clear step ahead at a similar age. He's making grown men look absolutely silly.

Harder to gauge a young defensemen compared to a young forward but the kid looks like the real deal.
You're forgetting how insanely hyped Tavares was.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Even as German who shares Leon's hometown - yeah, no, he doesn't fetch you Dahlin.

Well, that just about settles it for the next guy. Too bad.

Seriously, it speaks to Lidstrom's greatness that he's the benchmark people use when an outstanding talent comes along. It doesn't take anything away from him, and it doesn't take anything away from Dahlin. The last guys that got those comparisons weren't as deserving as he is, in my opinion and the eyes of many/most.

It was more of a joke than anything. Detroit has made foolish, "Next Lidstrom" comments too. Obviously though, Dahlin has higher potential than any of the previous "Nexts" ever did.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You're forgetting how insanely hyped Tavares was.
Stamkos was also held in very high-regard and always a viable rival to Tavares. Bob even wrote an article in Stamkos's draft year that if both were in the same draft, Stamkos would go first, and Tavares was more hyped in his pre-draft years than his actual draft year. McDavid and Crosby were in different universes hype-wise. Then guys like Matthews, Eichel, Tavares and Stamkos are the next grouping, followed by MacKinnon and Hall.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Daigle, Stefan, Nugent-Hopkins.

Based on how these #1 C picks turned out, EDM should have traded McDavid for a king's ransom. Worth a gamble?
Except what you've chosen to list is a much more selective sample. Fact is, young defenders development tends to be erratic and tough to project, its why most of the time there is anything close to tie the center beats out the defender, its rare for the defender to win it (Ekblad over the Sams and Drai).

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Man the Dahlin hype is getting out of hand :/

People are just setting themselves up for a disappontment with this ridiculous hype.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't remember when, or even if, I've seen a D prospect like Dahlin before. Whatever team wins the lottery, no way they're trading the pick.

Hedman (2009)? Took him a long time to develop into who he is today at the NHL level but he would of went #1 overall if it was not for a guy named Tavares

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Only a handful of players have more value than Dahlin right now. Leon Draisaitl isn't one of them.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Except what you've chosen to list is a much more selective sample. Fact is, young defenders development tends to be erratic and tough to project, its why most of the time there is anything close to tie the center beats out the defender, its rare for the defender to win it (Ekblad over the Sams and Drai).

Sure I won't argue against that point. I completely agree with it. However, none of the mentioned defencemen were near Dahlin's quality at the same age. He could bust like anyone else but it seems highly unlikely given his skillset.

Trading him for Draisaitl would be ridiculous.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Dahlin is said to potentially be a generational defenceman. Only asset that gets him guaranteed is McDavid, outside chance at Matthews

Man, I love a good prospect as much as the next hockey fan but I've always found it hard to believe this kind of hype about a player whose pre-draft stat line thus far looks like 5-6-11 in 26 GP. I haven't seen him play, so maybe that it's. Also, I realize it's the SHL, a really good men's league. Then again, Karlsson's POST draft season was even less impressive just from a numbers POV.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Oilers do this because? Dahlin hasn't played a single game in the NHL. It's rate to see a defensemen come in a really dominate at the cost of giving up Drai. I have some doubts about this kid but that's another story.

The lotto winner does this because? They're at the bottom for a reason. Building around a guy who might be a franchise defensemen is a risk worth taking because, chances are trading him for Drai isn't putting your team in playoff contention right away.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Oilers do this because? Dahlin hasn't played a single game in the NHL. It's rate to see a defensemen come in a really dominate at the cost of giving up Drai. I have some doubts about this kid but that's another story.

The lotto winner does this because? They're at the bottom for a reason. Building around a guy who might be a franchise defensemen is a risk worth taking because, chances are trading him for Drai isn't putting your team in playoff contention right away.
Oilers because they committed an obscene amount of money to two players. McDavid is 100% worth that money. Drai might be, but probabaly won’t be worth that to a team that already has McDavids hit on the books. He’ll likely be overpaid for the first few years, not enough to hurt a team without other huge commitments, but might put the Oilers in a tight spot because they’ll be paying McDavid too.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Oilers because they committed an obscene amount of money to two players. McDavid is 100% worth that money. Drai might be, but probabaly won’t be worth that to a team that already has McDavids hit on the books. He’ll likely be overpaid for the first few years, not enough to hurt a team without other huge commitments, but might put the Oilers in a tight spot because they’ll be paying McDavid too.

Maybe. I also think Oiler's might be fortunate they signed him to an extension before the cap increase we should be seeing in the next year +. That cap doesn't just give you more room, it gives players a higher % against the cap as their asking price.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Maybe. I also think Oiler's might be fortunate they signed him to an extension before the cap increase we should be seeing in the next year +. That cap doesn't just give you more room, it gives players a higher % against the cap as their asking price.
True, good point. Still, they're going to paying Drai a ton of money based off of last season alone through most or all of McDavid's prime. IMO if you have a player like that, you don't need to spend ~8-9M on his winger, and especially not if you're paying that winger based on a single season of play that is up to that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad