Proposal: Leon Draisaitl for Rasmus Dahlin

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's so hard to gauge Dahlin's value. Yes, he has the "possibly generational" tag, but we've seen other defensemen with that tag not live up to it in recent years. I'd love to draft Dahlin, but I'm wondering if the hype has outgrown his actual value.

Name a single defensemen given a generational tag before they were drafted. Dahlin is by far the most hyped defense prospect in a long time, there's no one comparable

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
IMO, that's mostly because Edmonton's wingers are hot garbage top to bottom. Only McDavid can produce anchored to those guys, Drai plays with him because they only have two good forwards.
i thought drai was the goat? he get paid 8.5 m and get drive his own line?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
After getting a taste of Dahlin I could say the hype is very real......he is playing against full grown men not boys.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
i thought drai was the goat? he get paid 8.5 m and get drive his own line?
No, McDavid is GOAT. Only a true generational player can drive a line no matter who his wingers are. You take any franchise C you like and put 4th liners on their wings and their numbers won't look great. Only McJesus and Crosby can create something out of nothing.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
No, McDavid is GOAT. Only a true generational player can drive a line no matter who his wingers are. You take any franchise C you like and put 4th liners on their wings and their numbers won't look great. Only McJesus and Crosby can create something out of nothing.
didn't really answer my question

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I take the potentially generational defenceman over the 75-80 point forward that plays with the best forward in the game. I know Draisatl hasn't peaked yet, but still.
This is based on both positional value and overall talent.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's so hard to gauge Dahlin's value. Yes, he has the "possibly generational" tag, but we've seen other defensemen with that tag not live up to it in recent years. I'd love to draft Dahlin, but I'm wondering if the hype has outgrown his actual value.

At this point in time, I think comparing Dahlin to a player like Hedman is fair. I personally take Hedman over Draisaitl.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
At this point in time, I think comparing Dahlin to a player like Hedman is fair. I personally take Hedman over Draisaitl.

Are you saying that Dahlin would have the same value as Hedman today, or the potential to become Hedman? If it's the former, I don't think a single GM would trade Hedman for Dahlin, and if it's the latter, yes, Hedman today has more value than Draisaitl, but it's still only the potential to become Hedman. Draisaitl > maybe Hedman, maybe Brad Stuart.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Name a single defensemen given a generational tag before they were drafted. Dahlin is by far the most hyped defense prospect in a long time, there's no one comparable
Erik Johnson is probably the closest. If Dahlin is Lidstrom 2.0, then he absolutely will have more value than Draisaitl. If he is Erik Johnson 2.0, the Oilers lost that trade.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Are you saying that Dahlin would have the same value as Hedman today, or the potential to become Hedman? If it's the former, I don't think a single GM would trade Hedman for Dahlin, and if it's the latter, yes, Hedman today has more value than Draisaitl, but it's still only the potential to become Hedman. Draisaitl > maybe Hedman, maybe Brad Stuart.

I'm saying he has the potential to be the best dman in the league, but tempering expectations, Hedman is a good comparable for his value since he's a top 5 dman in the league. I think it's a combination of your two suggestions - Dahlin has similar value to Hedman, obviously their respective value depends on the team that is interested (Hedman for a contending team, Dahlin for a rebuilding or cap-strapped team). Dahlin also has the potential to become as good as Hedman, and possibly even better. It's too difficult to predict at this point. I think they have fairly similar value going forward, though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm saying he has the potential to be the best dman in the league, but tempering expectations, Hedman is a good comparable for his value since he's a top 5 dman in the league. I think it's a combination of your two suggestions - Dahlin has similar value to Hedman, obviously their respective value depends on the team that is interested (Hedman for a contending team, Dahlin for a rebuilding or cap-strapped team). Dahlin also has the potential to become as good as Hedman, and possibly even better. It's too difficult to predict at this point. I think they have fairly similar value going forward, though.
As I said before, I think 31 NHL teams take Hedman over Dahlin. Hedman is, as you said, a top 5 d-man in the league locked up long term. Dahlin is a mystery box. Should be great, but he could Yakupov.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I thought this may be an interesting tidbit to look at.

This is the company Dahlin would be in if he is chosen numero uno. This list is the historical data from every draft since the beginning where a dman was chosen 1st overall.

1966 Boston Bruins - Barry Gibbs
1967 LA Kings - Rick Pagnutti
1973 New York Islanders - Denis Potvin
1974 Washington Capitals - Greg Joly
1976 Washington Capitals - Rick Green
1979 Colorado Rockies - Rob Ramage
1982 Boston Bruins - Gord Kluzak
1992 Tampa Bay Lightning - Roman Hamrlik
1994 Florida Panthers - Eddie Jovanovski
1995 New York Islanders - Brian Berard
1996 Ottawa Senators - Chris Phillips
2006 St Louis Blues - Erik Johnsson
2015 Florida Panthers - Aaron Ekblad

Notes:

1. ONLY Berard and Ekblad won rookie of the year
2. Since 1963 (when the draft first started ONLY 7 players [forwards and defensemen] have won rookie of the year.)
3. The only D gamechanger is Denis Potvin and maybe Jovanovski and if Berard was able to play a full career with BOTH his eyes, I think he'd be part of that group too.
4. Seems there is more to it than picking first overall and there are definitely NO guarantees Dahlin will be the player to become the next great 1D
5. 1995 draft was the only draft that a dman was taken 1, 2 AND 3 - Berard, Redden and Berg (Aki Berg)

Last edited:

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I'll wait until the world juniors and see how he looks against his peers, but just like every other draft the top guy is usually insanely overhyped by the mid year mark. This generational tag is ridiculous though. Crosby/McDavid were generational and I'm very confident Dahlin doesn't come close to looking as dominant as McDavid does out there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
didn't really answer my question
Ok, well to answer your question for him. Yes Draisaitl has been driving his own line for the past 8 games, and if not for unsustainably low production on the PP he would still be on pace for over 70 points. Once his PP numbers normalize he will be fine. Suffering a concussion early in the year certainly didn't help, but he's starting to find his game again. I'm certainly not worried about him. I've watched him take over enough games to know what he's capable of.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

This is the company Dahlin would be in if he is chosen numero uno. This list is the historical data from every draft since the beginning where a dman was chosen 1st overall.

Notes:

2. Since 1963 (when the draft first started ONLY 7 players [forwards and defensemen] have won rookie of the year.)
3. The only D gamechanger is Denis Potvin and maybe Jovanovski and if Berard was able to play a full career with BOTH his eyes, I think he'd be part of that group too.
4. Seems there is more to it than picking first overall and there are definitely NO guarantees Dahlin will be the player to become the next great 1D
5. 1995 draft was the only draft that a dman was taken 1, 2 AND 3 - Berard, Redden and Berg (Aki Berg)

Your argument proves the opposite of what you were going for. Defensemen are very rarely picked 1st overall and yet every single scout says its Dahlin>>>>>>>everyone else. Add to that fact people are saying its a very deep draft class AND its still Dahlin>>>>everyone..speaks to how good he is. Dahlin looks amazing playing against adults already..it's not like hes dominating a bunch of kids in the juniors.

But hey if other teams win the lottery over the Sabres and they want to pass on Dahlin be my guest.

I also think if you take those draft years then select the next forward taken the defensemen generally had better careers still.

Last edited:

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Notes:

Pretty good post.

However; Potvin won The Calder 1973-1974. I remember watching him that year and wishing we had a defenseman like him in Buffalo. But as a mature 20 year old, he was built to be able to play the game according to what it required. Skill, he had plenty. And he was strong enough to be good defensively also.

Hell, the guy had one of the best mustache's in the NHL at 20...!

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Your argument proves the opposite of what you were going for. Defensemen are very rarely picked 1st overall and yet every single scout says its Dahlin>>>>>>>everyone else. Add to that fact people are saying its a very deep draft class AND its still Dahlin>>>>everyone..speaks to how good he is. Dahlin looks amazing playing against adults already..it's not like hes dominating a bunch of kids in the juniors.

But hey if other teams win the lottery over the Sabres and they want to pass on Dahlin be my guest.

I also think if you take those draft years then select the next forward taken the defensemen generally had better careers still.

Good point (Bolded). Didn't even think of that. facts are facts..rarely chosen first overall and even in that case, it's really NOT a guarantee...however....I am not sure if this makes a difference or not, but these days there are two things that sway in favour of Dahlin (At least I think they do)...1. Todays scouting is far better than before and 2. There are far more players today than before, so the pool is much much larger, thus having a better chance to find a rare gem.

I predict Oilers to win the lottery..:cool:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Notes:

Notes:

maybe just maybe GMs are horrible at picking dmen near the top?

Karlsson went 15th
Doughty 2nd (fair enough after stamkos) Bogo 3rd, Pietrangelo 4th

in a redraft the 3 dman could easily be 1,2,3

Drouin picked before seth jones...dumb

dylan strome over werenski,provorov..dumb

a. nylander over mcavoy,sergachev, chychrun...too soon to tell but not looking good.

dahlin is the most hyped dman in 20+ years. he is gonna be good. draisaitl wont get anywhere near that.
Leon looks like a solid 25-30g/65-80pt guy but yeah franchise he is not. dahlin will be

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I said before in another thread that he does remind me of a Berard level player. Which means Calder and very good career.

What I don't think is that he will be a Potvin/Coffey/Bourque.....he may be a Leech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad