Leivo has asked for a trade

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think Leivo might turn out to be a low end point producer on another team but I don't think he'll be someone that's sorely missed in the organization. That's what happens when you start getting depth, some guys just can't grab spots.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
It just made no sense to keep him. If you like Martin and Kapanen more than him and you know Sosh will have to come up eventually, why not trade him the summer when he had value.

Now you've killed his value, all while knowing that you probably wont be playing him much at all.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It just made sense to keep him. If you like Martin and Kapanen more than him and you know Sosh will have to come up eventually, why not trade him the summer when he had value.

Now you've killed his value, all while knowing that you probably wont be playing him much at all.
What value? I really doubt he had much more value during the summer than now. He's a borderline NHL player that couldn't crack the roster last year and this year.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
He should have been replacing JVR dealt in the summer for a high pick/prospect. That way you'd have all year to rotate Leivo/Johnsson/Kappy in and see what you have.
Then if you were still concerned about adding extra depth at the playoffs, you could have gotten a guy like Grabner from NY to add.
I'd feel equally ok about a JVR-Bozak-Brown line as I would with a Grabner-Bozak-Brown line. But in the meantime you see what's replacing what you don't plan/or shouldn't plan to keep. It's moving on from players and getting assets.

If he was capable to replace a 30 goals scorer, he would be in the lineup

tenor.gif

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If he was capable to replace a 30 goals scorer, he would be in the lineup

tenor.gif
I know one thing for certain, if we don't re-sign JVR he will be scoring zero goals next year and somebodys got to do it. Now you possibly trade Leivo, don't sign JVR or Bozak, so you're replacing with who now? And you got what in return now?
People understand that nobody is replacing a JVR not here right? But somebody is right?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I know one thing for certain, if we don't re-sign JVR he will be scoring zero goals next year and somebodys got to do it. Now you possibly trade Leivo, don't sign JVR or Bozak, so you're replacing with who now? And you got what in return now?
People understand that nobody is replacing a JVR not here right? But somebody is right?

Every team has 2-3 tweeners like Leivo. Guys who suck in NHL but too good in AHL. He is nothing special we have seen guys like this before. They end up in Europe. Team Canada Olympics is full of those.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Every team has 2-3 tweeners like Leivo. Guys who suck in NHL but too good in AHL. He is nothing special we have seen guys like this before. They end up in Europe. Team Canada Olympics is full of those.
But we also have Kapanen/Johnsson or possibly a move we could have made as a result of a summer trade.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think he could be a Clarke MacArthur type utility scorer on a not so great team. 20 goals a year on a non playoff team.

He may be more physically talented than Zach Hyman, but he doesn't do the things Hyman does at the high rate you want to see.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It just made sense to keep him. If you like Martin and Kapanen more than him and you know Sosh will have to come up eventually, why not trade him the summer when he had value.

He didnt have any more value in the summer then he does now.

Most teams have a Josh Leivo

Reactions: stickty111

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So why did teams have interest in leivo if they have a leivo already?

Becuse some teams can afford to give him a bigger chance then we can. Our depth chart is deep. Very deep, on the wings.

And lets be real here, if the Leafs want anything more then a 4th round pick no one is going to trade for him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Interesting to go from contract extension to trade request, perhaps. Guess he and Soshnikov figure to be in play up to the deadline in order to hopefully add something useful for now or the future.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Becuse some teams can afford to give him a bigger chance then we can. Our depth chart is deep. Very deep, on the wings.

And lets be real here, if the Leafs want anything more then a 4th round pick no one is going to trade for him.
So why dont they give their own version of Leivo the bigger chance?

I agree they probably cant demand more than a 5th or so. Maybe chiarelli will give us a 3rd lol.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
While Babcock did run him out of town - Lou Lam and Shanny watched it happen and did not step him.

At some point they are going to have to take control of the roster and who plays and where.

Nylander not seeing time at center is another huge mistake by this organization.

Just horrible, horrible asset management that can all be traced back to the GM being cowed by the Head Coach.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He didnt have any more value in the summer then he does now.

Most teams have a Josh Leivo

i swear, we go through this all the time. he's the 13th forward. he couldn't make the line up. he goes. who cares what he does elsewhere, because he wasn't taking someone's spot here, and i bet there's a lot of wingers on the marlies who are like thank you for wanting to leave, because that's one less guy they have to leap over.

People whined about how we treated Corrado. Where is he exactly? What is he doing?
People whined that we let Holland go. Is he really turning heads in NY? re we missing him.
People whined about Panik. are we seriously missing him.

Leivo is gonna go somewhere, score against Toronto his first game (as that's what they do) people will go. OMG, of course, then he'll be meh, and then it will be Josh who. but then of course, people will be cauterwauling about the next 13th forward or 7th defenseman not playing on the team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think he could be a Clarke MacArthur type utility scorer on a not so great team. 20 goals a year on a non playoff team.

He may be more physically talented than Zach Hyman, but he doesn't do the things Hyman does at the high rate you want to see.

I think with the right opportunity he may be better than Panik is on Hawks.

No guarantee of course, but I think he’s got more offensive skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad