Leivo has asked for a trade

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well if Sosh asked for a trade too..
bye Sosh.

and basically this is a v. happy day for Johnsson and Kappy because they have no one to battle for a spot now.
Frankly speaking I didn't like it when Sosh used the threat of going back to the KHL if they never re-called him this past November. I understand that he had that right since it was in his contract, although it also seems like a selfish card to play.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Still think he can be a 20/20 winger. He's not special but could be a solid contributor to a team in need of offense.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Frankly speaking I didn't like it when Sosh used the threat of going back to the KHL if they never re-called him this past November. I understand that he had that right since it was in his contract, although it also seems like a selfish card to play.
Its different with Sosh. I'm sure he was told he'd be an NHL regular when he signed here. Otherwise, there would have plenty of others who would have offered him a contract and played him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Its different with Sosh. I'm sure he was told he'd be an NHL regular when he signed here. Otherwise, there would have plenty of others who would have offered him a contract and played him.
When he signed here Dave Nonis was still the GM at the time. So lets remember that it was not Lou Lamoriello.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

me either. i would have been all toodelooo.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
He doesn't fit in for a full time role on the team. Much rather have Kapanen than Leivo on our team.

Reactions: AppsSyl

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Would you think it was selfish if the team used their rights to demote a player?

See here's the thing a contract isn't selfish it is a contract and if both the team and the player agree to those scenarios, you can't blame either can you?

I know there are some who think an individual should have no rights but you really have to question how those people would react if their rights were violated. Hypocrites?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Good for him. It's been over a season and a half with this nonsense, where the Leafs are scared to send him down because they'll lose him on waivers, but Mike Babcock doesn't want to play him. For the sake of his career, he needs to start playing a regular shift, and he has undoubtedly earned that opportunity IMO.

As for the team's perspective, I'm willing to wait and see what type of deal Lou can swing here before I criticize, but I'm not impressed thus far with how management has handled our depth situation. We had the luxury of having 5 or 6 young wingers, on entry-level contracts, more or less ready for the NHL duty and none have gotten an extended look. None, thus far, have been packaged in a trade for something greater. It just seems like management is in a wait and see pattern while Babcock prefers and plays his veterans. We already lost Leipsic for nothing in the expansion draft. That alone is not a big deal, but if also lose Leivo and Sosh for little to nothing as well... I'll be disappointed.

Reactions: 1specter

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
tenor.gif

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Who would Leivo replace?

Hyman and Komorov are the team's main PKers (a role Leivo can't play) and JVR and Marleau are simply better.

He's in a crappy situation but someone has to be in that spot.
Komarov could replace Moore at centre and Leivo could replace Komarov at left wing.

Better yet, Nylander could also move to third line centre, bumping Bozak to fourth line centre and Komarov to fourth line right wing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Good for him. It's been over a season and a half with this nonsense, where the Leafs are scared to send him down because they'll lose him on waivers, but Mike Babcock doesn't want to play him. For the sake of his career, he needs to start playing a regular shift, and he has undoubtedly earned that opportunity IMO.

As for the team's perspective, I'm willing to wait and see what type of deal Lou can swing here before I criticize, but I'm not impressed thus far with how management has handled our depth situation. We had the luxury of having 5 or 6 young wingers, on entry-level contracts, more or less ready for the NHL duty and none have gotten an extended look. None, thus far, have been packaged in a trade for something greater. It just seems like management is in a wait and see pattern while Babcock prefers his veterans. We already lost Leipsic for nothing in the expansion. That alone is not a big deal, but if also lose Leivo and Sosh for little to nothing as well... I'll be disappointed.

but why should they send down their 13th forward?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Would you think it was selfish if the team used their rights to demote a player?

See here's the thing a contract isn't selfish it is a contract and if both the team and the player agree to those scenarios, you can't blame either can you?
It's one thing to use the threat of the KHL despite it being negotiated into his contract. However the way I see things if Babcock feels a player is not ready to be in the lineup he won't play them. I mean aren't we happy the Leafs got rid of this country style approach where everyone gets to play even if they have not earned it. That's what it was like under JFJ, Brian Burke and Dave Nonis.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I do feel sorry for him being in this situation,......but he did sign a contract extension like a couple of months ago. He kind of shot himself in the foot.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's one thing to use the threat of the KHL despite it being negotiated into his contract. However the way I see things if Babcock feels a player is not ready to be in the lineup he won't play them. I mean aren't we happy the Leafs got rid of this country style approach where everyone gets to play even if they have not earned it. That's what it was like under JFJ, Brian Burke and Dave Nonis.

They should have let him go back to the KHL then.

Seems some just feel MLSE should be able to do whatever they want without question.

So the player has to honour a contract but the MLSE does not? How can anyone with integrity take that stance?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
When he signed here Dave Nonis was still the GM at the time. So lets remember that it was not Lou Lamoriello.
That doesnt change the assumption that he was told he'd be given NHL ice time. I get that Lou never guaranteed anything but I'd get why he asked for a trade.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Overall this makes me v v sad as Leivo was my favourite "player". Not that I think he isn't a capable player just that I think he never got a chance. I know some here are quite vocal that he sucks - that's great to have diversity and differing opinion.
Mine is such that Babcock didn't give him a chance. I refute that Babcock evaluates him in practice because look at how he favourites Polak/Hyman. Babcock does NOT practice the accountability mandate that he preaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad