Leivo has asked for a trade

Timothy Liljegren

Jul 3, 2016
Kristianstad
It's old news. Leivo was never going to play for the Leafs. He signed the 1 yr ext. so teams can trade for him with terms. Moore keeps getting back into the lineup before him even when Komarov can be the 4C

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
While Babcock did run him out of town - Lou Lam and Shanny watched it happen and did not step him.

At some point they are going to have to take control of the roster and who plays and where.

Nylander not seeing time at center is another huge mistake by this organization.

Just horrible, horrible asset management that can all be traced back to the GM being cowed by the Head Coach.

Who would Leivo replace?

Hyman and Komorov are the team's main PKers (a role Leivo can't play) and JVR and Marleau are simply better.

He's in a crappy situation but someone has to be in that spot.

Reactions: francis246

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
i swear, we go through this all the time. he's the 13th forward. he couldn't make the line up. he goes. who cares what he does elsewhere, because he wasn't taking someone's spot here, and i bet there's a lot of wingers on the marlies who are like thank you for wanting to leave, because that's one less guy they have to leap over.

People whined about how we treated Corrado. Where is he exactly? What is he doing?
People whined that we let Holland go. Is he really turning heads in NY? re we missing him.
People whined about Panik. are we seriously missing him.

Leivo is gonna go somewhere, score against Toronto his first game (as that's what they do) people will go. OMG, of course, then he'll be meh, and then it will be Josh who. but then of course, people will be cauterwauling about the next 13th forward or 7th defenseman not playing on the team.
True Daisy Jane, nothing but truth!

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Like I said in the GT, fans get hung up on these guys all the time. Lonny Bohonos, Zigomanis were once used as bitter indictments of "clueless" management. But sometimes guys just aren't good enough, and as mentioned above these guys are dime a dozen. A guy like Kap gave more consistently even when he wasn't scoring, and that's the reason why he's where he is and Josh is still in the AHL. Add to that all the rumblings from the media making this an issue (asking him about it all the time, rumors of not wanting to be protected) and it's time to part ways. We're developing a bunch of other guys already without all this drama.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Too bad, just too much competition. Its not just the leafs lets not forget there is a Josh Leivo on most nhl teams.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
i swear, we go through this all the time. he's the 13th forward. he couldn't make the line up. he goes. who cares what he does elsewhere, because he wasn't taking someone's spot here, and i bet there's a lot of wingers on the marlies who are like thank you for wanting to leave, because that's one less guy they have to leap over.

People whined about how we treated Corrado. Where is he exactly? What is he doing?
People whined that we let Holland go. Is he really turning heads in NY? re we missing him.

Leivo is gonna go somewhere, score against Toronto his first game (as that's what they do) people will go. OMG, of course, then he'll be meh, and then it will be Josh who. but then of course, people will be cauterwauling about the next 13th forward or 7th defenseman not playing on the team.

Quoted for no other reason then the excellent use of the word cauterwauling.

Oh and I guess I can say its arguable he was the 15th forward behind Kapanen and Soshnikov.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Rememer when the Leafs were holding Frank Corrado back from becoming the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr?

Oh wait, he still cant make the NHL in another organization.

I suspect we'll see much the same here.

Reactions: stickty111

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Matt Martin has no PP ice-time. Leivo has 2:08 PP minutes per game played. Yet Martin has more goals, assists, points per minute. Jagr has more points per 60 as well. I would imagine the Leafs might be really happy with Leivo's request. I think the whole reason they held on to him is trade bait. He was never going to make it.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Quoted for no other reason then the excellent use of the word cauterwauling.

Oh and I guess I can say its arguable he was the 15th forward behind Kapanen and Soshnikov.

and that's the point.
people want to make this about Lou not moving JVR.
okay. but let's look at it. JVR + Martin are gone. POOF.

Kappy's where JVR is, and Sosh is where martin is. Leivo plays when sosh gets hurt, Sosh gets better, Leivo sits out. Johnsson is right behind him.

Depth happens. and as you said, everyone has a Josh Leivo. I personally would have stayed here, not playing vs. going somewhere else, not playing, but that's just me.

Reactions: Slot

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
And they've probably been trying to trade him for a couple seasons. I still think he fits on a cap team needing a decent guy cheap. Pitt again? Send us back Corrado? :sarcasm:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Over his career Leivo has 10 goals and 21 points in 53 games. The Leafs have played 54 games this year. 10 goals would place Leivo 6th among forwards and 21 points would place him 9th among forwards.

Of course, Leivo played barely 10 minutes a game, and often on the fourth line. His career G/60 is ahead of all Leafs this season except Matthews, JVR, Kadri and Marleau, and his career Pts/60 is ahead of all Leafs this season except Matthews, Nylander, Marner and JVR.

Of course, point production is far from everything, but Leivo would be a valuable addition to many teams. Hope he gets the chance with one of them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matt Martin has no PP ice-time. Leivo has 2:08 PP minutes per game played. Yet Martin has more goals, assists, points per minute. Jagr has more points per 60 as well. I would imagine the Leafs might be really happy with Leivo's request. I think the whole reason they held on to him is trade bait. He was never going to make it.

If you got usage like him you would have freaked the first year it was happening. Look at the production last year. The usage this year was ridiculous.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

So true. We can dig up those Corrado posts and see a similar reaction. Who cares what Leivo does elsewhere, he wasn’t winning a job here and we have a ton of good wingers. It’s a good problem to have. I wish him luck.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I am not a fan how they treated him, to be honest. Should have traded him or waived him a long time ago to give him a chance. It's not right doing this to a relatively young player. Yet a washed up player in Komarov gets to play among the highest minutes on the team.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

Komarov is 12th in TOI on the team according to nhl.com (which I believe over you.)

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I respect how Josh has handled this situation, but its evident that he is not one of our top 13 forwards. Sosh healthy (which is a unicorn now I know) is also probably ahead.

That Kapanen and the Goat both got looks this season on the 4th line is evident that Josh didnt do enough in the 11 games he did play to demand a spot.

Lets say he is a JVR potential replacement - I feel anyone with that potential would have earned a spot in the lineup by now with our injuries. He hasnt

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
and that's the point.
people want to make this about Lou not moving JVR.
okay. but let's look at it. JVR + Martin are gone. POOF.

Kappy's where JVR is, and Sosh is where martin is. Leivo plays when sosh gets hurt, Sosh gets better, Leivo sits out. Johnsson is right behind him.

Depth happens. and as you said, everyone has a Josh Leivo. I personally would have stayed here, not playing vs. going somewhere else, not playing, but that's just me.

Terrific post :handclap:

Reactions: Daisy Jane

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We have a log jam in wings and in defense. Ideally we need to trade for centers and picks

Pretty much. Maybe a good defenseman to bridge the gap a little bit, but even that may not be totally necessary if the deal is not there.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Can't really blame him. He's played a grand total of about 10 games a year the last 3 years. Even f***ing Corrado played more games than that in 1 year.

Leivo's in the hockey equivalent of the friendzone, except in his case, it's worse because he's contractually obligated to hang out with the one's he's endlessly pining over.

This is probably gonna be another Panik situation, except Panik flat out sucked over the course of an entire season and got a chance, so he's more of a case of dumb luck. This one is just throwing away a decent depth asset for the sake of continuity.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Would love to get a conditional 5th or something, based on the number of games played .. As he's signed through next season, if he plays in 60% or more games next season the 5th becomes a 3rd. It would have to be a 2019 pick obviously.

Leivo was a 3rd round pick .. If the Leafs could get that equivalent value back somehow in a trade, I'll be pretty happy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can't really blame him. He's played a grand total of about 10 games a year the last 3 years. Even ****ing Corrado played more games than that in 1 year.

Leivo's in the hockey equivalent of the friendzone, except in his case, it's worse because he's contractually obligated to hang out with the one's he's endlessly pining over.

This is probably gonna be another Panik situation, except Panik flat out sucked over the course of an entire season and got a chance, so he's more of a case of dumb luck. This one is just throwing away a decent depth asset for the sake of continuity.
I can't see it turning into a Panik situation because when he went to Chicago you can say he was lucky to play with Toews I think or was it Kane? Either way the Blackhawks traded him and if Leivo was placed on waivers chances are he gets claimed and the Leafs lose him for nothing. So no matter what happens you might get some people who complain if he becomes a regular NHL player, although he does deserve the chance at that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well if Sosh asked for a trade too..
bye Sosh.

and basically this is a v. happy day for Johnsson and Kappy because they have no one to battle for a spot now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad