Confirmed with Link: Leddy + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + 2nd 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I give the chance of him signing an extension is less than 10%.

That's kind of the point. He's played well. I can buy disliking the trade from a value perspective, but that's just sealed up as it's made. Liking it less and less as you see Leddy play well is weird to me and only makes sense if it somehow cracks an extension door open wider or something like that. I took a stab.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That's kind of the point. He's played well. I can buy disliking the trade from a value perspective, but that's just sealed up as it's made. Liking it less and less as you see Leddy play well is weird to me and only makes sense if it somehow cracks an extension door open wider or something like that. I took a stab.
You nailed it. That, and I am not convinced that Leddy is the missing piece that puts us on a cup run. If we make it to the SCF or even the WCF, I will gladly eat my words, but I am not as confident in that as some. I just think that Sundqvist and 2nd is a high price to pay for a rental that I don't think will make a significant difference in the playoffs.

Reactions: BlueKnight

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
You nailed it. That, and I am not convinced that Leddy is the missing piece that puts us on a cup run. If we make it to the SCF or even the WCF, I will gladly eat my words, but I am not as confident in that as some. I just think that Sundqvist and 2nd is a high price to pay for a rental that I don't think will make a significant difference in the playoffs.

Sundqvist is not the player he was for the Cup run. I'll always be a fan, I loved rooting for him on the Blues, but he's just too expensive for the Blues for his performance. Getting out of his contract is generally a plus for the Blues' plans.

So the parts that really matter are Leddy for a 2nd, which looks like it's not a bad deal so far. With Krug out and no Leddy, it's entirely possible the Blues continue to slide out of the playoff picture. I don't mind spending a 2nd just to more firmly put these guys into the playoffs and avoid the Avalanche or Flames in the first round.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Sundqvist is not the player he was for the Cup run. I'll always be a fan, I loved rooting for him on the Blues, but he's just too expensive for the Blues for his performance. Getting out of his contract is generally a plus for the Blues' plans.

So the parts that really matter are Leddy for a 2nd, which looks like it's not a bad deal so far. With Krug out and no Leddy, it's entirely possible the Blues continue to slide out of the playoff picture. I don't mind spending a 2nd just to more firmly put these guys into the playoffs and avoid the Avalanche or Flames in the first round.
Blues are 1 point behind Minny for 2nd place in the division and are 6 points up on Nashville. Blues haven't been out of a playoff spot since early on in the season (if at all) and have won 3 straight with a 6-2-1 record in their last 10. I don't see how they are sliding out of a playoff position

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Blues are 1 point behind Minny for 2nd place in the division and are 6 points up on Nashville. Blues haven't been out of a playoff spot since early on in the season (if at all) and have won 3 straight with a 6-2-1 record in their last 10. I don't see how they are sliding out of a playoff position

The context is where they were at the deadline and where they could be now.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The context is where they were at the deadline and where they could be now.
I still don't see them having fallen out of the playoffs. Honestly with the games They've played I could see them winning one or two less but still being 3-5 points ahead of Dallas.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I still don't see them having fallen out of the playoffs. Honestly with the games They've played I could see them winning one or two less but still being 3-5 points ahead of Dallas.

We don't really know. That's the point. I don't consider that scenario comfortable at all with that many games left in the season. I'm in favor of insurance against slipping into a wildcard spot by the end of the season.

And then, of course, I also like watching good hockey. A lot of fans want to avoid making immediate moves if the team isn't a dominant contender - or can only get behind the perfect move. But it's not all or nothing for me.

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
I don't really get the 2nd guessing on this deal. The team was sliding and our D needed help. Prices were steep, but we managed to avoid giving up the farm (esp for Chiarot) and created some cap space for next year. Based on Leddy's immediate fit since first stepping into the lineup, I'd say our assessment of him was accurate. He has unquestionably provided a lift, especially in Krug's absence. You have to give to get, and with the team back in rhythm as the playoffs approach (plus hopefully Krug returns soon) we have a shot. What more is there to a deadline deal?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Leddy has played 21:45 a night since the deadline. That's 3rd on the blue line and 2:22 a night more than #4 (Scandella). He's been the undisputed #3 D man since Krug got hurt midway through Leddy's first game as a Blue. Over that stretch his 5 points are 2nd among Blues D (1 behind Faulk) and he's quarterbacking the top PP unit. He's immediately taken on a major role and I don't think it is at all a given that the team would be seeing similar success if we were seeing Scandella/Mikkola/Rosen out there for a combined 21:45 more every game.

Leddy has 4 points and is a +2 in the 6 game points streak where we have pulled away from Dallas. His presence in the lineup has allowed Berube to scratch a struggling Mikkola, avoid making Scandella play 22+ a night and still shelter Rosen/Bortz. If we couldn't do any of those things, I think it is pretty likely that we lose out on more than just a couple points out of the 11 we got.

We wouldn't have fallen out of the playoffs as of today, but we'd be losing ground and another few weeks without Krug would certainly have us in a fight.

I didn't like this trade when it was made and I still don't like the price we paid. I still don't believe that Leddy addresses this team's biggest weakness. But the trade is absolutely looking better. Leddy is playing well and the player who made his skillset redundant on this roster got hurt midway through Leddy's first game here.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

Sunny isn't much of a price to pay. Some may even argue that he had negative value, if we are talking about the Sunny we see this year. He was an elite 3rd liner in the past; but this year had regressed in a major way. Honestly I didn't see any room on the team for him beyond this year (especially when you need spots for Neighbors, Kostin, and perhaps a couple of others coming up). Good memories with him, but glad to be rid of his contract.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Terrible trade IMO

It’s on DA to prove me wrong.

Will miss Sunny. Having an off year due to injury.

I hate this. I'd rather have Walman than Leddy and would much rather have Sundqvist with 2 bum hips than Witkowski. We just paid a 2nd to get worse at 2 positions. Bravo.

Didn't want him for free

I hate every part of this trade. I just really hope that Leddy over-performs (by a lot) what he was doing in Detroit.

Leddy cannot be out there with PArayko, so how does he fix that problem.? He is awful defensively, so how can we have him on our shutdown pair? He is worse than Krug at pure defense. Its just another player we need to shelter. We are back to Scandella/Mikkola getting 75% d-zone starts to shelter two Puck movers who forget that the third letter in PMD stands for DEFENSEman.

I absolutely hate this trade. Fire Armstrong!!!!

Its not just with the Wings. He has been bad with his advance stats for the past 6-7 years. Even when the Islanders were a playoff team, he was sub 50% Corsi and xgF%,

Leddy on the Isles wasn't a whole lot better either, so unless he's netting you 40+ points to negate some of that defensive pain, he's actually pretty bad to have.

He cannot do that. That is not his game at all. If that is what we wanted, we were better off sticking with Scandella and Mikkola.

I guess I just don’t value Leddy that much

stupid trade

Not a fan of the deal and would rather Army had done nothing today. The glimmer of hope that I have is that Leddy might have the right complimentary skill set to unlock more from Parayko. While our defense has been pretty poor overall this season, my opinion is that it has been from getting hemmed in our zone far more than from giving up first chance opportunities. If Leddy’s transition skills can turn that around we may see some improvement in team defense and better execution of our 5 man defensive structure. Just trying to see a silver lining here.

A complete waste of a 2nd round pick. (Ever hear of Jordan Kyrou?)

As John Kelly would say - Un-Be-Lievable.

I don’t feel this is a be all end all trade. I just hate this deal since I don’t feel it truly filled a need. And I don’t think we’d have had an issue moving Sundqvist in the summer. It’s a pointless trade, just to make a trade.

Just gonna bump this so those above can eat a little crow and humble pie for dessert.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I was also more supportive of the trade than not, but not fully sold on Leddy. He's better defensively than I expected and think he does a good job 1v1 with some of the faster/skilled forwards. I think I remember around the time of the trade it was mentioned how he defended against Hall well in the playoffs.

I want to see the entirely of the playoffs, but I wouldn't be opposed to an affordable extension. Definitely been one of Army's better rentals, if not his best rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad