Confirmed with Link: Leddy + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + 2nd 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Sad to see Sundqvist go as he made important contributions to our cup run. Also liked Walman a bit.

Armstrong does acquire a defenseman. Not who a lot of us were hoping for, but I will post one encouraging stat.

leddy_micro.jpeg

His transition play is very strong. Thoughts?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
1647890142589.jpeg

He’s terrible. The Blues just:

- got older
- got worse defensively
- made their 4th line even worse
- gave up a 2nd round draft pick

So they literally did nothing they needed to, and did everything they couldn’t afford. That’s an impressively bad job by Armstrong. Well done, Doug. Your worst trade in years.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I hate this. I'd rather have Walman than Leddy and would much rather have Sundqvist with 2 bum hips than Witkowski. We just paid a 2nd to get worse at 2 positions. Bravo.

Reactions: Em etah Eh

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Leddy is not worse than Walman. I know Leddy was not something we wanted, but we don't need to get hyperbolic either.

Walman has upside. Leddy is on the downswing. Walman had term, Leddy is a dead asset. He doesn't fix the problems we have at all. We aren't going to try to feed Walman minutes he cannot handle, we will with Leddy. We are a better team with Walman now because we won't think we have something we don't. And we are a better team with Walman in the future, because we would have an asset going foreward when now we don't.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
So now on D, we have:

RD - Parayko, Faulk, Bortz, Witkowski
LD - Leddy, Krug, Mikkola, Scandella

Why the 2 D for 1 D trade if something else isn't going to happen? Is Witkowski being sent to Springfield? If the deadline has passed, not sure why we'd take on an 8th D man unless Army is that worried about organizational depth.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So now on D, we have:

RD - Parayko, Faulk, Bortz, Witkowski
LD - Leddy, Krug, Mikkola, Scandella

Why the 2 D for 1 D trade if something else isn't going to happen? Is Witkowski being sent to Springfield? If the deadline has passed, not sure why we'd take on an 8th D man unless Army is that worried about organizational depth.

Witwowski plays wing as well, he's not just a D. If you can even call him a wing or a D. He is a talentless thug.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Walman has upside. Leddy is on the downswing. Walman had term, Leddy is a dead asset. He doesn't fix the problems we have at all. We aren't going to try to feed Walman minutes he cannot handle, we will with Leddy. We are a better team with Walman now because we won't think we have something we don't. And we are a better team with Walman in the future, because we would have an asset going foreward when now we don't.
What upside does Walman have? Walman players are a dime a dozen.

I'm fine with people that argue that Leddy doesn't fix our problems. That player wasn't available today and wasn't available at the deadline except for Lindholm. Leddy at least should fix transition problems that we had on the Parayko or 3rd pair.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Atleast we didn't pay a 1st+ to get Chiarot. As long as we don't try and sign any of them in free agency then this is whatever. Not liking it but it's more annoying than anything else.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I don't think this trade is high stakes enough for anyone to hate it. The second should be a late second, which has a low chance of becoming an NHL player. Sunny we all love because of what he brought to the cup run, but I think he's been pretty much invisible since returning from injury. Walman is a third pairing guy which we have enough of. Maybe Leddy and Parayko mesh and he's the solution we've been looking for, maybe he's not and we gave up a second + Walman to shed 2m in cap. The risk/reward is fine with me.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I don't understand the hate for this move. Particularly at 50% retention. Leddy has been a consistent top 4 defenseman for the better part of a decade and just turned 31 yesterday. We've lacked consistency on the back end the entire season, which he should instantly provide and help stabilize. He's decisive with the puck in his own end and is quick in transition, something that has been a problem for us of late.

The only thing that is somewhat questionable was the second rounder. Which I'm sure Army pushed for a 3rd. But given that it's not until 2023, it gives us plenty of time to recoup it through other avenues.
Sunny ran into Fabbriesque luck with a severe knee injury that he's still recovering from, while Walman likely won't amount to much more than a depth defenseman.

This isn't the move we had hoped for, but I have a hard time buying that we're worse off because of it.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
View attachment 519501

He’s terrible. The Blues just:

- got older
- got worse defensively
- made their 4th line even worse
- gave up a 2nd round draft pick

So they literally did nothing they needed to, and did everything they couldn’t afford. That’s an impressively bad job by Armstrong. Well done, Doug. Your worst trade in years.
I'm not reading much into advanced metrics based on one season with a youthful, rebuilding franchise. But that's just me. Let's see how he meshes with our guys before calling him trash..

Reactions: LGB and Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad