Post-Game Talk: Leafs win (barely) 3-2

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Are you saying you want them to go all out and waste valuable energy as punishment for past failures? If not, then you should have zero problems with what I said. I don't care about who didn't show up in the past. I care about what can be achieved this season

Teams are catching on (or at least the players) to the modern day watered down league. There is ZERO benefit for the cores of a top 3 Atlantic or top 2 Metro team to put much effort into this remaining stretch of the season.
Unless guys have games played bonuses or something similar, I would start sitting guys out because of "injury" at this point. Sit Tavares for a week, sit Brodie, keep Marner out longer, etc. These are meaningless games.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
it was not a good game at all but dont forget it was4th game in 6 day , 3 game in 4 days...after a hard week with 2 game vs boston.

I'm pretty sure everyone here after an intense week will not be as energetic and productive in his last day at work than on 1st and that was the case.

Reactions: kb and Shanwhatplan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
With the tone around here you would never have guessed this team is 11-3-0 with 8 regulation wins in their last 14

...and 15-5 in their last 20 (3rd in the NHL over that stretch) with wins against the Jets×2, Rangers, Knights and Stars.

The team has obviously been battling the flu the last week combined with a stupidly busy schedule too.

I can only imagine what it would be like around here if they were actually doing poorly.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Even if the core plays @ 50% capacity we are going to remain 3rd in the division. There's zero benefit to crushing this section of the season since we're not fighting for a wild card spot. Don't expect these guys to dominate the ice consistently for these remaining games. Their skill alone should still pile up points and get close to that 100 point mark.

I would find it completely stupid if matthews marner nylander went all-out moving forward. Save it for round 1. We are literally in the super watered down snooze fest post-trade deadline fraction of the season for a top 3 Atlantic team.

If you can't understand this, it's on you. Quit your annoying complaining about the core not being good enough because they didn't stomp a lottery team in a useless game,
That would definitely be a good strategy, but I wonder how that works for players who need more goals, assists, points, games played in order to reach certain performance bonuses?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Florida is a very good example because they had to go beast mode to qualify. If their regular season went smoother and Tkachuk was able to coast in that last 1/4, Florida would be your 22/23 cup champs.

Who knows how many series we threw away just because we played Marner 24+ a night 24/7 365 days a year
I kind of get the point you're trying to make, but aren't you contradicting yourself? Maybe Florida made it to the finals because they had to play desperation mode and therefore were on a roll heading into the playoffs. But I do agree that it's good to be able to rest certain players before heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: egd27

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Matty with 2 goals and 2 assists in last 8 games. Kind of reflects his feast or famine season and why I do not think he deserves/wins the Hart over more consistent MacKinnon, even if he hits the 70 goals and 33 assists he is on pace for.

He'll be better after the 4 day break.

The guy has looked like the walking dead at times this week so I think it's fine to cut him some slack

Reactions: ToneDog

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Matty with 2 goals and 2 assists in last 8 games. Kind of reflects his feast or famine season and why I do not think he deserves/wins the Hart over more consistent MacKinnon, even if he hits the 70 goals and 33 assists he is on pace for.
I totally agree. If Matthews was able to get more assists and therefore more points, then that would be different.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He'll be better after the 4 day break.

The guy has looked like the walking dead at times this week so I think it's fine to cut him some slack
No question he will go on another heater or two. He needs 16 goals in 18 games to get to 70. Quite the ask.

Leafs look like they won't pass Boston or Florida and 3rd in the Atlantic is all but a lock. Should be interesting to see if he is even interested in getting to 70. He took his foot off the gas when he it 60 two years ago.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
No question he will go on another heater or two. He needs 16 goals in 18 games to get to 70. Quite the ask.

Who knows?

He's a guy capable of throwing up 10 in 4 games out of nowhere.

He certainly has looked lethargic this week in both play and appearance but still got the winner against the Sabres.

Flyers/Canes/Flyers ahead. Canes are tough on D but let's see if he can pot some in a couple of games against a team that just gave up a 7 spot against Tampa last night.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Leafs look like they won't pass Boston or Florida and 3rd in the Atlantic is all but a lock. Should be interesting to see if he is even interested in getting to 70. He took his foot off the gas when he it 60 two years ago.
Massive long shot IMO considering goals are harder to come by as teams start shifting into playoff mode.

Who knows?

He's a guy capable of throwing up 10 in 4 games out of nowhere.

He certainly has looked lethargic this week in both play and appearance but still got the winner against the Sabres.

Flyers/Canes/Flyers ahead. Canes are tough on D but let's see if he can pot some in a couple of games against a team that just gave up a 7 spot against Tampa last night.
Who cares is probably a better question. What I'd really like to see is for this team to win at least one round in the playoffs so with that in mind, I just want Matthews to be ready to go when the real season starts.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Edmundson was just okay at best, but I’ll reserve judgement. Brodie had a good game. McCabe is our best all around D man and it’s been that way for awhile. Lil wasn’t good last night, per usual with space good, pressure awful and simply can’t move his man, just a stalemate every time, which won’t work come playoffs. Dewar had a bad PK read on the goal, but overall he was fine.

I can’t recall seeing the first line hemmed in their end so much, it was pitiful to watch.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Are you saying you want them to go all out and waste valuable energy as punishment for past failures? If not, then you should have zero problems with what I said. I don't care about who didn't show up in the past. I care about what can be achieved this season

Teams are catching on (or at least the players) to the modern day watered down league. There is ZERO benefit for the cores of a top 3 Atlantic or top 2 Metro team to put much effort into this remaining stretch of the season.
Florida was in a panic to make the playoffs last year and because of it, were playing at a higher level going in and it helped them win three rounds. It wasn't because they were rested.

Florida is a very good example because they had to go beast mode to qualify. If their regular season went smoother and Tkachuk was able to coast in that last 1/4, Florida would be your 22/23 cup champs.

Who knows how many series we threw away just because we played Marner 24+ a night 24/7 365 days a year
We rested Marner for a game.or two at the end of last season. Everyone else can play 82 games but our guys can't??

Reactions: baton elevated

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Tavares scored a patented 2024 JT goal to get the team the win. It was similar to his go-ahead goal against the Rangers last weekend.

Eh, we just want him to keep scoring.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We rested Marner for a game.or two at the end of last season. Everyone else can play 82 games but our guys can't??
Everyone else can play past 86 games but Marner can't?

Some people have posited that Keefe plays Marner too much during the regular season, and that's why Marner fades away after 86 games. Seems weird that he'd be fine for the first 4 games of the playoffs and then abruptly become ineffective but who knows?

Of course Marner can play 82 games but a better question is - why should he? And not everyone plays 82 games anyway, it's pretty standard to start resting guys as the playoffs get close. I'd like Keefe to play Marner less during the season, and put him in the best position to succeed in the playoffs myself.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Tavares scored a patented 2024 JT goal to get the team the win. It was similar to his go-ahead goal against the Rangers last weekend.

Eh, we just want him to keep scoring.
I've always hated ass goals. AFAIC, the goal should go to the player that shot it.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
For a team that often looks unmotivated (especially against the teams that they should be really motivated against) & considering they're now pretty much guaranteed to finish in 3rd, be prepared for a very difficult-to-watch stretch here to close the season.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Have to adapt to the garbage playoff format. You can't win the Atlantic (*Eastern conference) if your best players play the last 1/4 of the season like it's the playoffs or like they're fighting to get a spot.
No ?

1710082376561.png

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Edmundson was just okay at best, but I’ll reserve judgement. Brodie had a good game. McCabe is our best all around D man and it’s been that way for awhile. Lil wasn’t good last night, per usual with space good, pressure awful and simply can’t move his man, just a stalemate every time, which won’t work come playoffs. Dewar had a bad PK read on the goal, but overall he was fine.

I can’t recall seeing the first line hemmed in their end so much, it was pitiful to watch.
You are finding out exactly what Edmundson's limitations are. Never the swiftest of skaters, as he has aged, Edmundson is now even more vulnerable to being beaten wide off the rush. Caufield almost beating him on the rush provided a good example of Edmundson's lack of mobility.

A physically tough, good on-ice/ off-ice leader, Edmundson is no more than a bottom pairing defenceman now, who has to be sheltered against faster opposition.

Without Marner and Matthews this team is horrendously bad.
You could say the same thing about any team if you take away their top two players.

Reactions: bax

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese