Post-Game Talk: Leafs win (barely) 3-2

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No, they really don't.
Didnt they just show a stat that showed the leafs record against non playoff teams and it was the worst of all the teams in a playoff spot? I might be wrong but was I drunk when they talked about that?

Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Very weird take imo. Panthers, avs, knights are ramping up for the playoffs not taking their foot off the gas and hoping they can turn it up once the playoffs start. And with our history in the playoffs you would think now is the time to start playing playoff hockey. Sorry fans who pay hundreds for a ticket but we dont want to get a boo boo before the playoffs start soooo, we arent going to give it our all, thanks for your understanding. And dont worry we can turn on the switch any time we want, trust us.

Agreed. Leafs core coddling is not where it’s at.

No team can come out at 100% and look great, win all 82 and sweep every series. Not every star looks good every night. But “meaningless games” chatter is so country club it isn’t even funny. The idea that they can’t find motivation to win winnable games or they are looking past the schedule is so gross to me. These aren’t a 3 peat Stanley Cup championship team, veterans everywhere and they’re saving their energy for the fight.

These are guys who can’t be arsed when it’s too easy. Then can’t be arsed when it’s too difficult. Every other real contender is ramping it up. Going full throttle. Our boys need load management. In what world is everyone else in the dog fight but our guys need to be saved.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
1-2 CBJ
1-3 OTT
0-3 NYI
0-2 CHI

They do.
I don't think you can include the Islanders in that group as they are not "bottom-feeders". Instead, add the following:

2-0 SJ
2-0 Anaheim
2-0 Wild
2-0 Arizona
2-0 Montreal
2-0 St. Louis
2-0 Seattle
1-1 Pittsburgh

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
So you are proud of the combined record of 2-10 against OTT, CBJ, NYI and CHI. Ok homer.
Sigh. No, i just wasn't cherry-picking stats. But, yes, you are correct that their record against those 4 specific teams isn't good. I'm still not sure how the Islanders fit in that group, but okay.

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Leafs against top 10 teams (by points%): 9-8-2
Leafs against the teams between 10-22: 16-4-3
Leafs against the teams 23-32: 12-7-3

So we feast on the middle class of the league. The top 10 teams record is really hampered by Boston, whom we are 0-2-2 against

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Maybe you guys have already talked about this (I don’t feel like going through the whole thread), but I don’t understand how missing one winger equated an entire reshuffling of every line.

Also with Marner out, I would have played Robertson.

Reactions: mclaren55

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Sigh. No, i just wasn't cherry-picking stats. But, yes, you are correct that their record against those 4 specific teams isn't good. I'm still not sure how the Islanders fit in that group, but okay.

Looking at some teams below the Islanders in the standings, Boston is 2-9 against ARI, ANA, WSH, SEA, CGY and MIN combined so far this year.

Doesn't mean all that much as we don't know the circumstances of the games and Boston is making the playoffs and they aint.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Strange on how I put JamieG19 on ignore but if I highlight his post to show it it says "Show Hidden Content by Evilhomer".

How many accounts is one allowed to have? I thought it was 1?

View attachment 833882
I can promise you that isn't me. I wouldn't even know how to create two accounts at the same time (putting aside why someone would do that).

Looking at some teams below the Islanders in the standings, Boston is 2-9 against ARI, ANA, WSH, SEA, CGY and MIN combined so far this year.

Doesn't mean all that much as we don't know the circumstances of the games and Boston is making the playoffs and they aint.
Every good team has bad games against bad teams. Happens every year, especially early in the season when those bad teams can catch good teams by surprise. It's all pretty random - same as the Leafs' record against Western teams this season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Edmundson was just okay at best, but I’ll reserve judgement. Brodie had a good game. McCabe is our best all around D man and it’s been that way for awhile. Lil wasn’t good last night, per usual with space good, pressure awful and simply can’t move his man, just a stalemate every time, which won’t work come playoffs. Dewar had a bad PK read on the goal, but overall he was fine.

I can’t recall seeing the first line hemmed in their end so much, it was pitiful to watch.
Funny how Rielly, the most expensive D man doesn’t enter the conversation, good thing he’s also got a NMC……..

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Let's give the new guys at least 5 games before we love or hate them. Dewar made a mistake on the PK, but I'd bet that doesn't happen when he has more of an idea what his Dmen are going to do. None of these guys are high profile so I'm sure they'll take more time to adjust

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Leafs against top 10 teams (by points%): 9-8-2
Leafs against the teams between 10-22: 16-4-3
Leafs against the teams 23-32: 12-7-3

So we feast on the middle class of the league. The top 10 teams record is really hampered by Boston, whom we are 0-2-2 against
So we feast on the mediocre teams……because we are simply mediocre ourselves. I wish it wasn’t so but the evidence is in

Let's give the new guys at least 5 games before we love or hate them. Dewar made a mistake on the PK, but I'd bet that doesn't happen when he has more of an idea what his Dmen are going to do. None of these guys are high profile so I'm sure they'll take more time to adjust
know what his Dmen are going to do……..hell the said Dmen don’t know what they are going to do shift to shift

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
we’re a filler playoff team this year. If anything it’s good for once to not have any expectations higher then that maybe

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Its funny two wins against Boston would have made us feel like a juggernaut even though they have no bearing on playoff success. Just like the Bruins monster season of last year. We need to take the wins when they come and save the chicken little dance until the end of the season. Just a waste of energy until the games are meaningful. No trades left to make, wont be firing the coach. We still need AM to hit 70 but there's time.

Reactions: Evilhomer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Barely is good enough at this point, come playoff time we aren't going to get many blowouts, so learn how to win the close ones.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Without Marner and Matthews this team is horrendously bad.

Just like Florida without Barkov and Tkachuk. Boston without Marchand and Pastrnak. NY without Fox and Panarin. Dallas without Hintz and Robertson. So on and so forth.

Edit: this is also an odd thing to say because then the Leafs would have 24 mil to spend on additional players.

Reactions: Jmo89

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just like Florida without Barkov and Tkachuk. Boston without Marchand and Pastrnak. NY without Fox and Panarin. Dallas without Hintz and Robertson. So on and so forth.

Edit: this is also an odd thing to say because then the Leafs would have 24 mil to spend on additional players.
No not like them.
But you’re agreeing that people should stop saying the Leafs have an abundance of skill. That’s the narrative around this team, yet they’ve lacked the necessary skill of competing in the playoffs.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I prefer an ugly win over an ugly loss.
Which is why I have a shred of hope this year.

They have found a way to win games this year that in previous years I just don't think they would have.

They dropped the ball in the 2 Boston games, but are still 15-5 in the last 20 with some big wins on their resume.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
we’re a filler playoff team this year. If anything it’s good for once to not have any expectations higher then that maybe
Yeah, usually we go into the playoffs with high expectations, either in terms of being the favourite or a coin flip series, and are let down. This year we'll go in underdogs, so maybe that helps.

Not comparing us to Florida in terms of playoff hockey, but last year they went in as a filler team, no one gave them a chance vs. Boston, and look what happened.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Reilly has been pretty much brain dead since he returned. Need way more from him, but I'm sure he will find his form.
100% agreed .. it may be he has to get back in game shape .. I have noticed this before when he has been out of lineup and comes back .. but Rielly is a playoff warrior since his mom came to TO to chew him out quite a few years back in Boston series .. since then he has given his all and his playoff play has been really good

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00