Post-Game Talk: Leafs win (barely) 3-2

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This little break is crucial to get everyone healthy and new players in some practices.

18 more games. Tough schedule to end it playing mostly playoff teams and bubble teams hoping to catch a wild card spot. Even Buffalo and Canadiens are giving us trouble these days.

Go .500 and they still get 100 points so missing the playoffs isn’t a worry. Just need to be playing their best entering the playoffs and one of the goalies taking the net. Right now Sammy is it. Great game by him and he’s on a good stretch.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I didn’t get a chance to watch most of the game… how did Dewar and Edmundson look?
Nervous I think, but Edmundson looked big, started with playing a safe game for the most part. He’s definitely slow and will get walked if he’s not in perfect position. Saved a sure goal when he tipped a pass back into Sammy- lucky. Holds the offensive line well and not afraid to take a shot towards the net.

Dewar made a few good plays, but maybe the goat on their PP goal blowing coverage, but first game with no practice PK time is tough. Made a few smart stick plays to break a cycle, fast on the forcheck, while not huge made a hit or two, meshed well on bottom line with bigger players. No better or worse than any other bottom six we have. The bad PK shift sticks out though, hopefully that will clean up because that’s why we got him.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
When people talk about all the “skill” on the Leafs, is it just a talking point and words through the air?
When your core is Matthews, Marner and Nylander, you have skill. Some of the best skill in the NHL. The question is the supporting forwards and a very questionable defence.

There is no way a contender should have had trouble beating a team with one legitimate forward line ( Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky) three other lines mostly composed of career AHLers and aging veterans and a defence built around two experienced NHLers (Matheson and Savard) and four young defencemen with very limited pro experience.

Was it just a bad game? The playoffs are looming. Are you confident about facing the elite opposition who the Leafs will soon be playing?

Reactions: Nineteen67

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da lines were all mixed up and team looked a little mixed up after additions too .. but we got 2 points which is all that matters .. i would not read anything into that game .. we will see more what playoffs will hold as we play Cats and Bolts closer to end of season .. bottom line we need another 14 points and best for team to nail them down those pints over net 10 games so last 8 games are not pivotal .. keep both tenders playing .. try to get some playing time for Joel and whoever together .. i can't see it being Lily and last night did not help his cause .. to me would go to Joel/Rielly and Benoit/McCabe and Boosh/Brodie and let them play most of next 10 games together .. D pairs need some time to read each others games .. Boosh i don't see as Rielly partner now that we have Joel .. anywho mixing and matching on D pairs for last 18 games to further test Lily makes little sense to me .. Keefer you need to prepare our D for what ahead and Lily is NOT going to help you

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When your core is Matthews, Marner and Nylander, you have skill. Some of the best skill in the NHL. The question is the supporting forwards and a very questionable defence.

There is no way a contender should have had trouble beating a team with one legitimate forward line ( Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky) three other lines mostly composed of career AHLers…

To me, the question is not the supporting cast. The question is what % of the elite skill and corresponding production you get from the big star players in the playoffs and elimination games.

For example, 60 goals over 82 games translates to something 5 goals in 7 games. Matthews scored 5 in 6 vs Tampa and we won the series. But he scored 0 in 5 vs Florida and we all know what happened there.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Edmundson was just okay at best, but I’ll reserve judgement. Brodie had a good game. McCabe is our best all around D man and it’s been that way for awhile. Lil wasn’t good last night, per usual with space good, pressure awful and simply can’t move his man, just a stalemate every time, which won’t work come playoffs. Dewar had a bad PK read on the goal, but overall he was fine.

I can’t recall seeing the first line hemmed in their end so much, it was pitiful to watch.

I'd actually cut all the new guys some slack including Boosh. We have new defensive coordinator a.k.a Van Ryn's systems ;)

Edmundson and Dewar didn't even have one practice with the team yet; I suppose they need time to get with the program and gel with their line-mates/defensive partner as they learn their tendencies and vice-versa.

There was an interview MacKinnon did recently where he was in favor of moving the TDL to an earlier date so the newly acquired players have more time to gel with the team and get up to speed with their systems

Perhaps 10 games in we can say something about them lol. This is why I liked what Tre said. You build your team in the summer (i.e. let them have pre-season routine with the team and gel with them). At the TDL you just tinker and not make substantial changes. At least thats my opinion :)

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd actually cut all the new guys some slack including Boosh. We have new defensive coordinator a.k.a Van Ryn's systems ;)

Edmundson and Dewar didn't even have one practice with the team yet; I suppose they need time to get with the program and gel with their line-mates/defensive partner as they learn their tendencies and vice-versa.

There was an interview MacKinnon did recently where he was in favor of moving the TDL to an earlier date so the newly acquired players have more time to gel with the team and get up to speed with their systems

Perhaps 10 games in we can say something about them lol. This is why I liked what Tre said. You build your team in the summer (i.e. let them have pre-season routine with the team and gel with them). At the TDL you just tinker and not make substantial changes. At least thats my opinion :)
For sure, I’m cutting them huge slack.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Edmundson was just okay at best, but I’ll reserve judgement. Brodie had a good game. McCabe is our best all around D man and it’s been that way for awhile. Lil wasn’t good last night, per usual with space good, pressure awful and simply can’t move his man, just a stalemate every time, which won’t work come playoffs. Dewar had a bad PK read on the goal, but overall he was fine.

I can’t recall seeing the first line hemmed in their end so much, it was pitiful to watch.

Dewar was put in a bad spot thanks to McCabe chasing a guy near the boards when Jarnkrok was in the vicinity already. McCabe could've put his hand in Jarnkrok's pocket if he wanted to because they ended up being so close together.

Dewar went down to block the passing lane because he had no chance at catching Newhook

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dewar was put in a bad spot thanks to McCabe chasing a guy near the boards when Jarnkrok was in the vicinity already. McCabe could've put his hand in Jarnkrok's pocket if he wanted to because they ended up being so close together.

Dewar went down to block the pass across because he had no chance at catching Newhook
Sure he was just slow to recognize what was happening, which I chalk up to not being comfortable. I'm excited to see wha the can do on the PK, we need another forward. For myself Bill doesn't really cut it there.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What. A. Game!
As I've said all year long, elite teams find a way to win. Another relatively late goal by one of the Core 4.
Then we beat adversity with huge PK to seal the deal and get the W.
Too bad Auston didn't get the Empty Netter to add to his legendary season, but this team is about rising to the occasion.

Great victory. Didn't use Marner's absence as an excuse. Coaching staff came prepared and get the job done.
Thats one way to look at it...i guess

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Yeah, whatever would happen to your User Name if you allowed yourself some happiness and actually enjoy that the Leafs are an elite team with generational players who you have the pleasure of seeing their skills on display all year long.

Chronic negativity is a way of life for some even when facts don't warrant that.
settle down

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I'm pretty sure start time was public knowledge.

This isn't PeeWee hockey. These guys are professionals. An NHL player should know enough to be ready to bust their ass every shift.

These guys start every game with the enthusiasm of a sullen teenager going in to flip burgers.

Even my useless turd of a kid can drag his sorry ass in to work every day on time. He earns a lot less money than these pampered millionaire athletes. He's got some back breaking job doing landscaping.

These guys chase a puck around the ice for a living.

It's hard work too I'm sure. And they're compensated more than adequately for their efforts. But let's face it, in the grand scheme of things, these guys play a game for a living.

Considering how much they get paid to do so you'd think they'd at least be ready for the puck to drop.
would your kid be on time everyday if he was guaranteed tens of millions of dollars... whether he showed up on time or not?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Even if the core plays @ 50% capacity we are going to remain 3rd in the division. There's zero benefit to crushing this section of the season since we're not fighting for a wild card spot. Don't expect these guys to dominate the ice consistently for these remaining games. Their skill alone should still pile up points and get close to that 100 point mark.

I would find it completely stupid if matthews marner nylander went all-out moving forward. Save it for round 1. We are literally in the super watered down snooze fest post-trade deadline fraction of the season for a top 3 Atlantic team.

If you can't understand this, it's on you. Quit your annoying complaining about the core not being good enough because they didn't stomp a lottery team in a useless game,
Very weird take imo. Panthers, avs, knights are ramping up for the playoffs not taking their foot off the gas and hoping they can turn it up once the playoffs start. And with our history in the playoffs you would think now is the time to start playing playoff hockey. Sorry fans who pay hundreds for a ticket but we dont want to get a boo boo before the playoffs start soooo, we arent going to give it our all, thanks for your understanding. And dont worry we can turn on the switch any time we want, trust us.

Leafs have a terrible record against bottom feeders this year but lets pretend its just a nothing game in March that means absolutely nothing. If the way the leafs played this week isnt a little concerning for you then maybe its you who doesnt understand.

Are you saying you want them to go all out and waste valuable energy as punishment for past failures? If not, then you should have zero problems with what I said. I don't care about who didn't show up in the past. I care about what can be achieved this season

Teams are catching on (or at least the players) to the modern day watered down league. There is ZERO benefit for the cores of a top 3 Atlantic or top 2 Metro team to put much effort into this remaining stretch of the season.
This is just sooo wrong.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Have to adapt to the garbage playoff format. You can't win the Atlantic (*Eastern conference) if your best players play the last 1/4 of the season like it's the playoffs or like they're fighting to get a spot.
Panthers from last year say hi....Again I dfont see the Avs, vegas, bruins, oilers jets etc taking their foot off the gas....unless this is your way of making excuses for the leafs lackluster play this last week?

Florida is a very good example because they had to go beast mode to qualify. If their regular season went smoother and Tkachuk was able to coast in that last 1/4, Florida would be your 22/23 cup champs.

Who knows how many series we threw away just because we played Marner 24+ a night 24/7 365 days a year
Marner/matthews playing too much is an issue i can agree with you with but thats not what you have been saying....you say that the last quarter of the season doesnt matter and you dont want you top guys trying 100 percent because it doesnt mean anything. big difference.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Vegas says hi

Reactions: Duffman955

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Hard to tell what is going on. These guys may be chilling and saving themselves. They must know this year is it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00