Post-Game Talk: Leafs win again, 6-3 over Detroit

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Crazy to think it took us almost the entire year last season to get two empty net goals, and now we've done it in games 6 and 7.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Don’t want to jinx it, but if the Habs lose to LA, we’ll have a 9 point lead over them.

That’s insane this early

What is also insane is that Andersen isn't even playing to his capabilities.

We are holding on to the leads much better due to the veterans and the stronger defensive core.

This team hasn't even reached its final form yet...and it's already becoming a scoring machine. Wait till 3-4 years down the road...it's gonna absolutely mind boggling just how UNSTOPPABLE this team will be towards the end of Babcock's tenure. The Yankees of the NHL...scoring into the double digits...the Shanaplan is working and soon the Leafs will have their own version of The Russian Five! (Puck possession masters)

Reactions: mix1home

MorriPage

Feb 27, 2012
Earth
One glance at some of the comments on the Wings board (from fans of a team with very little legitimate talent on the roster) is all I need to see to re-affirm what I’ve been saying for years. I really couldn’t care less about the attitude many seem to share: camaraderie/civility/whatever you want to call it between fans and fan bases. I’m a Leafs fan and a Leafs fan only. To hell with everyone else. That’s all there is to it. It honestly annoys me to no end when I’ll be perusing another team’s board and I’ll inevitably see the standard “*insert team here* fan coming in peace.” Everyone hates the Leafs so to hell with civility and respect. Let’s start giving it back. Jesus, it’s been a long time coming.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What is also insane is that Andersen isn't even playing to his capabilities.

We are holding on to the leads much better due to the veterans and the stronger defensive core.

This team hasn't even reached its final form yet...and it's already becoming a scoring machine. Wait till 3-4 years down the road...it's gonna absolutely mind boggling just how UNSTOPPABLE this team will be towards the end of Babcock's tenure. The Yankees of the NHL...scoring into the double digits...the Shanaplan is working and soon the Leafs will have their own version of The Russian Five! (Puck possession masters)

Babcock will likely coach this team until he retires. He’s likely to be the coach for the next decade, at least. It’s insane

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Babcock will likely coach this team until he retires. He’s likely to be the coach for the next decade, at least. It’s insane

Babcock said he will coach this team for the duration of his contract and then he will stay for another year because the team will be "that good".

By that time hopefully Matthews will be the future generations' Sidney Crosby/McDavid.

MorriPage

Feb 27, 2012
Earth
Lol karma? What’s the worst that could happen, other fan bases pile on us non-stop? The attitude towards Leaf Nation will always be the same, whether Toronto wins anything or not. I just can’t rationalize being civil and respectful towards fans and fan bases that harbour nothing but contempt for us as a group. How about they stick to their board, we’ll stick to ours, and if anyone wants to go to the main boards, then they should expect it to go both ways.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Debating going on Saturday. Lots of seats available (shocking). We are due for a loss and I hate losing to the Sens in Kanata and then making that slow trek to that clusterfack of a parking lot.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Lol karma? What’s the worst that could happen, other fan bases pile on us non-stop? The attitude towards Leaf Nation will always be the same, whether Toronto wins anything or not. I just can’t rationalize being civil and respectful towards fans and fan bases that harbour nothing but contempt for us as a group. How about they stick to their board, we’ll stick to ours, and if anyone wants to go to the main boards, then they should expect it to go both ways.
True. I see where you are coming from now that you elaborated. In that case the recent success of our Leafs is karma LONG overdue.

Non Leafs fans watch your back: LEAFS NATION IS GONNA RUN WILD ON YOU!

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The Maple Leafs are on a roll.

Bit of a weird game tonight. Like every good chance seem to go in.

The Detroit goals were all kind of weird. The first a warp around into an open net, with all the Leafs looking directly right at it. Defensive awareness is the key term. The second the Detroit play made a good play, and was rewarded with his own rebound in the slot. The third goal had to be the strangest when both of your defensemen run into each other and wind up in a heap in the corner. Even though Fehr had his man in front of the net, the puck found a way in.

9 goals in total in this game. All lines scored except the 4th line.

:scared:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Crazy to think it took us almost the entire year last season to get two empty net goals, and now we've done it in games 6 and 7.

Yep.

How much of this is Polak not icing the puck 47 times trying to hold the lead?

I appreciate that he was a good soldier for us but theres no reason he deserves a contract. These first 7 games have shown we dont miss him whatsoever, and in fact are likely playing better

Reactions: zeke and The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
The Maple Leafs are on a roll.

Bit of a weird game tonight. Like every good chance seem to go in.

The Detroit goals were all kind of weird. The first a warp around into an open net, with all the Leafs looking directly right at it. Defensive awareness is the key term. The second the Detroit play made a good play, and was rewarded with his own rebound in the slot. The third goal had to be the strangest when both of your defensemen run into each other and wind up in a heap in the corner. Even though Fehr had his man in front of the net, the puck found a way in.

9 goals in total in this game. All lines scored except the 4th line.

When is the next game, and against who?

:scared:

Saturday night against the Sens

Reactions: Polaris1010

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Sometimes I can't believe my eyes...
Remembering the teams we had in the dark ages of Randy Wilson to Carlisle...to now.

Seeing the competently capable defensive corps of
Zaitsev and Borgman and Hainsey and Reilly and Gardiner is a thing of beauty. Babcock is a strategic genius. The Phil Jackson of the NHL. Babcock is The spiritual successor of Scotty Bowman.

In the past we had Mats carrying the offensive load...today
we have not one but three potential ELITE superstars (Matthews, Nylander, Marner).

It's like I'm living in a dream...

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
after reading some posts on here i decided to check out the wings board about this game.

there are some rational posters and there are some real sucks. sometimes one can feel the hatred seeping out of these people towards us. oh well, that's their problem to live with.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
after reading some posts on here i decided to check out the wings board about this game.

there are some rational posters and there are some real sucks. sometimes one can feel the hatred seeping out of these people towards us. oh well, that's their problem to live with.
personally I think it's fun to be hated

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

The increase in hate is proportional to the amount of success. Expect to see A LOT MORE of it as the season progresses...it's a good sign lol

Reactions: Iapyi

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Yep.

How much of this is Polak not icing the puck 47 times trying to hold the lead?

I appreciate that he was a good soldier for us but theres no reason he deserves a contract. These first 7 games have shown we dont miss him whatsoever, and in fact are likely playing better

Yeah that’s a good point. This team isn’t missing Polak. Elements of his game such as his physical presence were things I enjoyed - but I always felt like his on ice impact was more negative than positive.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
personally I think it's fun to be hated

i don't worry about it. i've been dealing with it for decades and to be honest i abhor the scabs with a passion. that said i am always always always objective and deal with reality. pretending something is different then what it is accomplishes nothing.

edit : just thought i'd mention in case any wings fans bother to check this thread that i basically hate that team as well. back when they were actually good they were the most boring team in the league by far. babcock is now coaching here and we are already a funner and more exciting team to watch then those boring slugs ever were.

:thumbu:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad