Post-Game Talk: Leafs win again, 6-3 over Detroit

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Anyone else really like Hyman? I liked Hyman last year on the PK and his work ethic but felt we could do better on that line. Didn’t think Hyman could improve his offensive game more than he showed last year but I was wrong.

Hyman looks fantastic, still gives 110% every shift, he’s never the second hardest working player on the team, and he’s actively looking for Matthews, Nylander instead of having blinders on + his shooting percentage was never going to be as bad as last year.

For a guy that plays strictly ES and PK, his 30-40 points are very valuable.

Reactions: Glenn Healy

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
+/- is a useless stat overall because players on good teams have good numbers and players on bad teams have bad +/- but it’s nice to see three Leafs at the top of that table. Usually if you want to find a Leafs on a +/- chart, you start from the last page...

Matthews, Nylander, Zaitsev +10. Makes sense because they have hardly given up anything when they are on the ice.

Tells you that the Leafs have made the transition into a good team.

I think today was the first time that Zaitsev was on ice for a goal against; pretty solid streak till now though

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don’t get how some Detroit fans can think our defense is bad when McElhinney gift wrapped two goals.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Whos “you guys?”

hey-you-guys.png

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Anyone else really like Hyman? I liked Hyman last year on the PK and his work ethic but felt we could do better on that line. Didn’t think Hyman could improve his offensive game more than he showed last year but I was wrong.

Hyman looks fantastic, still gives 110% every shift, he’s never the second hardest working player on the team, and he’s actively looking for Matthews, Nylander instead of having blinders on + his shooting percentage was never going to be as bad as last year.

Love Hyman!
People forget that this is Hyman's 2nd full season with the Leafs just like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown, etc...
Seems like everyone dismissed the idea that Hyman can actually improve upon last season

His hard work, speed and defensive game will always keep him employed in the NHL and he's definitely improved this season with his offensive game. Don't get me wrong, he'll never be much of a point producer but any incremental improvement is still huge for us

As an example tonight, he led all forwards in ice time with over 20 minutes
There's a reason Babcock continues to leave him with Nylander and Matthews and gets so many minutes despite not being part of the PP unit

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don’t get how some Detroit fans can think our defense is bad when McElhinney gift wrapped two goals.
not to mention we literally played yesterday and shut out a high scoring offensive team (and really dominated them). The Leafs aren't going to put on their best effort against such a weak team after lighting them up basically as soon as the game started

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

In the first 7 games, I have noticed Hyman using his body much better than last year and yes I don't think I have seen his patented wraparound once this season

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
really? the guy is a tool who is in love with his own voice and opinions....

come on man you can do better than that
its not a matter of that. its just amusing to watch. the guy gets more worked up then my cousin that had a batman obsession during his preteens " he would literally say "watch out batman there's someone behind you " while in the theater

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Love Hyman!
People forget that this is Hyman's 2nd full season with the Leafs just like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown, etc...
Seems like everyone dismissed the idea that Hyman can actually improve upon last season

His hard work, speed and defensive game will always keep him employed in the NHL and he's definitely improved this season with his offensive game. Don't get me wrong, he'll never be much of a point producer but any incremental improvement is still huge for us

As an example tonight, he led all forwards in ice time with over 20 minutes
There's a reason Babcock continues to leave him with Nylander and Matthews and gets so many minutes despite not being part of the PP unit

Agreed. It's nice to see this board coming around.

Zach Hyman is the very definition of those intangibles that cannot be measured using statistics. He enables his teammates to get the puck. He pisses people off - the opposing team. He attracts attention away from Matthews and Nylander by way of puck battles. He's probably one of the scrappiest puck scrappers to put on a Leafs jersey.

Reactions: Glenn Healy

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
You can't make the playoffs in the first month of the season but you can make life easier on yourself. 12 points in the bank with 75 games to go, I had forgotten what good hometown hockey teams look like.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Don’t want to jinx it, but if the Habs lose to LA, we’ll have a 9 point lead over them.

That’s insane this early

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad