Post-Game Talk: Leafs win again, 6-3 over Detroit

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Most of it was because of the 1st period though where we got utterly dominated and came away with 4 goals. That's not something we can rely on... but at the same time we're dominating periods (1st against Washington) and coming away with nothing.

We were due some luck / bad goaltending after the way we've played.

We got dominated at times in the 1st, hemmed in our own zone for most of the 3rd but I'm simply saying..I don't think it's a red flag or anything. CF%, xGoals, scoring chances, and other metrics are going to be deceiving without context (as it pertains to last nights game). We jumped out to a huge lead in a back to back......and Detroit was hungrier, well-rested, and playing from behind. Most nights, the team that jumps out to a huge lead like that (especially on a back-to-back) isn't going to shell the other team for the next ~40-50 minutes of the game, in fact, it's probably going to be the opposite.

We played pretty complacent than parked the bus for almost the entire 3rd and sort of stopped skating/attacking. That's not a fundamental problem to me......fundamental problems are things like the Bozak line getting destroyed in possession, getting dominated in a tied game in the 3rd, etc.

Reactions: MJ65

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We got dominated at times in the 1st, hemmed in our own zone for most of the 3rd but I'm simply saying..I don't think it's a red flag or anything. CF%, xGoals, scoring chances, and other metrics are going to be deceiving without context (as it pertains to last nights game). We jumped out to a huge lead in a back to back......and Detroit was hungrier, well-rested, and playing from behind. Most nights, the team that jumps out to a huge lead like that (especially on a back-to-back) isn't going to shell the other team for the next ~40-50 minutes of the game, in fact, it's probably going to be the opposite.

We played pretty complacent than parked the bus for almost the entire 3rd and sort of stopped skating/attacking. That's not a fundamental problem to me......fundamental problems are things like the Bozak line getting destroyed in possession, getting dominated in a tied game in the 3rd, etc.

It's definitely not a red flag. We played a b2b against a team that I'm sure most that played thought "much easier game than Washington". Plus Detroit was rested. The problem is that this isn't something we can do and expect the same results to happen on a game-to-game basis. We got dominated most of the game and scored 6 goals. I don't care how talented a team you are, it's not something that can keep up unless you're lucky, getting crazy HD chances, or facing a bad goalie.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Could definitely be his lingering effects from his foot or maybe just general decline

Yea it's pretty overstated...how did every defense we play against so far look against the Leafs?

Keith, who no one argues isn't a #1D looked pretty horrible against the Matthews line for a full 60 minutes....McDonagh got shelled against us. He looked pretty horrible on the Pens OT winner the other night as well. The Jets D, Orlov, Carlson didn't look good either.

The Leafs defense needs to be cleaned up but most of this talk about our defense is overstated, almost picking at straws. Though it's more on a few select culprits than the top 4 themselves IMO (i.e. the Bozak line prior, the bottom pairing). People just have a habit of overglorifying old-age, low-event hockey, which the Leafs don't play and quite frankly, is being trended away from in today's NHL...with how fast the game is now and moreso even today, with changes in obstruction.

At the end of the day, it's a league of parity. Detroit will lose a lot of close games this year, like Tampa a few nights before (which would have made them well-rested versus us on a b2b) and inevitably, make some excuse that their defense sucks too. Or that the fact they, as a team that projects closer to the basement, could compete with team X makes said team not a contender or a good team.

I feel like a lot of people don't actually know much about our team (because why would you if you don't watch regularly), so they parrot what they hear in the media.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I think he got (and gets) crapped on because he's not sexy like the others. Last season i really liked what he brought, but I felt he hit the rookie hard wall and those two things + Babs obvious love for the kid soured some people.

Right now, Hyman - like you said looks fantastic.
Ironically enough. Hyman is like three seasons too late. any other Leafs team, we would have been in love with this guy simply because he does what we always want - come in and work hard. not taking it easy etc. he just happened to come up when we get this massive infusion of talent and skill, and we have such high expectations. Before, I said Hyman's and Brown's can be replaced and they aren't long for the team, but i stand corrected on both.

The main problem I see with Hyman is that he has no chance to read the plays at the pace Auston and Nylander play it at. He will be the 3rd wheel at times, intercepting perfect passes for Willy, then flubbing on it, but so be it. I noticed last night that Nylander and Matthews have started keeping their distance from Hyman when he's working the puck along te boards, trying to anticipate the puck popping out in a random direction. Last night, there were at least 3 occasions when Zack was left alone battling 1v2 or 1v3, with Nylander poking his stick in there from afar. It's almost like he's concerned about getting trampled by his linemate, as he's contorting this way and that to prevent opposition from moving the puck.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Fun fact: 9 of our players would be tied or be leading the Habs in points. 12 of our players have more points than their second best player.

Holy shit that is a lot of depth.

koka86yanzi

Jan 9, 2013
i'm still in awe that the leafs are good...part of me is still on the fence thinking this is too good to be true

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Fun fact: 9 of our players would be tied or be leading the Habs in points. 12 of our players have more points than their second best player.

Holy **** that is a lot of depth.

The Habs offense is as anemic as your going to get.....I've watched almost every Hab game so far that hasn't conflicted with Leaf games. They struggle to break it out from their own end, which starts with Weber/Petry. I don't think fans of the Leafs realize how good we have it with our PMD. Once they get pass the neutral zone, their forwards are mainly grinders that lack creativity and hockey skill so they don't actually generate much high danger scoring chances.

They actually are pretty good with their aggressive forecheck once they can pass the neutral zone. They just rarely ever skate it into the o-zone with any pressure. And once they get in the zone, they don't really generate much thereafter.

The forwards that actually do have some skill- Pac are underperforming. Drouin's looked ok but doesn't actually have the puck too often. Chuck is more of a finisher than playmaker, kind of being stunted, and his skating isn't very good. I don't know how you can solve their problems but even last year it was the same thing. At times Radulov was almost like a one-man army for them offensively.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I love the difference between Washington's and Detroit's GDTs. Washington talks about how they aren't playing well, and mostly focuses on themselves. Detroit talks about how the Leafs have terrible defense and are just getting the bounces right now. At least one said that they outplayed us. Oh and apparently we're all "planning the parade" because we talk about how nice it is to win.

Detroit fans are annoying and because of their playoff streak have arrogance about them. I hope they miss the playoffs for 25 straight years as an inverse streak :p

Did we get some lucky hops in a bit of a messy game? Sure, but overall the Leafs were a big better. Seems like this year we are getting the bounces we didn't get last year, which is a nice change.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Detroit fans are annoying and because of their playoff streak have arrogance about them. I hope they miss the playoffs for 25 straight years as an inverse streak :p

Did we get some lucky hops in a bit of a messy game? Sure, but overall the Leafs were a big better. Seems like this year we are getting the bounces we didn't get last year, which is a nice change.
They have been the saltiest fans yet. I for one love it. To be fair, they are all not bad though. In fact, just casually looking over other team boards, many are also praising the Leafs.

On a side note, I've noticed that the salty ones are jumping on the hope that this success that the Leafs will presumably have will lead to us completely dismantling the team due to cap crunch. What they do not realize is that we also happen to have an AHL farm team who is also doing quite well with talent that would likely play in the Habs top 6 right now :laugh:.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I'd be cranky too if my GM would refuse to rebuild. when it's obvious that they should be.
Montreal and Detroit - two teams that need to just let it go and everyone can see it but the GMs and Management. may we never have to suffer through that denial again.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I'd be cranky too if my GM would refuse to rebuild. when it's obvious that they should be.
Montreal and Detroit - two teams that need to just let it go and everyone can see it but the GMs and Management. may we never have to suffer through that denial again.

Vancouver too. If the Sedins haven't won you a cup by now, they're not going to do it at 37. I've heard great things about Boeser and Demko though, so they're at least starting to build toward the future.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver too. If the Sedins haven't won you a cup by now, they're not going to do it at 37. I've heard great things about Boeser and Demko though, so they're at least starting to build toward the future.

I'm going to respond to this in the All Around the League thread. one mo.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Solid effort. Only issue I had was the weak wrap-around goal, but in fairness I'm sure Mac's timing is off a bit since last April.

member 262271

Impressive to win on a back to back. In this case the 4 early goals held up. Going to be in tough against the Senators on Saturday, just don't leave Turris open in the slot like he always seems to be. Also not looking forward to Ottawa's style of play. Zzzzzz

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Holy **** that is a lot of depth.
its depth and the fact that mtl has no depth or offence for that matter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad