Post-Game Talk: Leafs win again, 6-3 over Detroit

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
carrick, borgman, and rosen aint ready for 82 games, as long as we have our top 4, im fine with them playing 40-60 games 12-15 min a night

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
If you don't have haters you are doing something wrong

You are right.

At the beginning of the season lots of other fans were saying "last year the leafs had no injuries", "teams didn't take them serious", "they played their backup against the leafs" etc.. it's like they needed to get themself convinced the Leafs are not 'worthy' to be hated yet and that if they keep denying the Leafs will be good one day, it will never happen...

When the Leafs start to win more I fully expect the hate to be even bigger. I guess it is in one way a big compliment.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I love the difference between Washington's and Detroit's GDTs. Washington talks about how they aren't playing well, and mostly focuses on themselves. Detroit talks about how the Leafs have terrible defense and are just getting the bounces right now. At least one said that they outplayed us. Oh and apparently we're all "planning the parade" because we talk about how nice it is to win.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I love the difference between Washington's and Detroit's GDTs. Washington talks about how they aren't playing well, and mostly focuses on themselves. Detroit talks about how the Leafs have terrible defense and are just getting the bounces right now. At least one said that they outplayed us. Oh and apparently we're all "planning the parade" because we talk about how nice it is to win.

Perhaps we should create a separate thread for our so-called "Planned Stanley Cup Parade" ;)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I've never been a fan of incorrectly stamping the same label on everyone so I'll say this:
1 - There's nothing wrong with being civil
2 - Being annoyed at others being civil is a waste of energy
3 - Everyone does not hate the Leafs

That's pretty funny considering you obviously went to the DET board.

I've made thousands of posts here and I'd guess less than 5 of those have been made on other teams boards myself, that's just now how I spend my time. I have no problem with others doing so though and I don't see why anyone else would either.

Yup! I've been one of those sticking up for Hyman asking why does everyone assume he can't possibly improve on his rookie season? So far so good, man he's been great, doesn't look like he's holding back his linemates either!

I think the lesson here is that Babcok isn't perfect but he's gonna be right most of the time.

PS I think you may want to edit the last sentence in this post.

I'll never understand why anyone us or them want to be all snipy. like i'll have my gripes but if a X Fan want to come here and be peaceful, why not be peaceful back and vice versa.

and yah i have to read it again and double check ;) :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'll never understand why anyone us or them want to be all snipy. like i'll have my gripes but if a X Fan want to come here and be peaceful, why not be peaceful back and vice versa.

and yah i have to read it again and double check ;) :)

Yeah I've had some pleasant conversations on the main boards with opposing fans. Some are idiots but some are intelligent, just like our fan base.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And I know I shouldn't feel this way and I'm sure the feeling will go away soon but a part of me couldn't help but feel last night like ho hum, just another win. Bring on Ottawa and then especially bring on LA, really looking forward to seeing how we measure up against them!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Maybe it's the broken foot? edges etc isn't as awesome?

Could definitely be his lingering effects from his foot or maybe just general decline

Yea it's pretty overstated...how did every defense we play against so far look against the Leafs?

Keith, who no one argues isn't a #1D looked pretty horrible against the Matthews line for a full 60 minutes....McDonagh got shelled against us. He looked pretty horrible on the Pens OT winner the other night as well. The Jets D, Orlov, Carlson didn't look good either.

The Leafs defense needs to be cleaned up but most of this talk about our defense is overstated, almost picking at straws. Though it's more on a few select culprits than the top 4 themselves IMO (i.e. the Bozak line prior, the bottom pairing). People just have a habit of overglorifying old-age, low-event hockey, which the Leafs don't play and quite frankly, is being trended away from in today's NHL...with how fast the game is now and moreso even today, with changes in obstruction.

At the end of the day, it's a league of parity. Detroit will lose a lot of close games this year, like Tampa a few nights before (which would have made them well-rested versus us on a b2b) and inevitably, make some excuse that their defense sucks too. Or that the fact they, as a team that projects closer to the basement, could compete with team X makes said team not a contender or a good team.

Reactions: The ORB

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Marner should be moved up to the third line.

What exactly has Komarov done to be ahead of him? Inb4 muh chemistry and "grit"

Marner is getting buried because he was playing with incompetent vets....so how do you fix that? Play him with career 4th liners where he gets no ice time....cmon

I agree komarov also has a game suited for the 4th line

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree komarov also has a game suited for the 4th line

No.

Komarov could however C the Bozak line and help fix it up defensively. He is a natural C that plays wing but as Kadri does his thing Komarov plays a dual role. He is a master play reader, go figure the guy that speaks 70 languages is smart enough to read into the game in the game. He also has a good engine but is slowing down a tad and not hitting as much.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
DMd5ccVVoAEkEMf.jpg

Not a great game by any means, especially against a team this caliber.

Just glad we got the 2 points.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It's in the air guys and gals, can ya feel it? Hope has returned to Leafs Nation. Not a fool's hope or a dreamer's hope. REAL hope!

Feels good man.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
some Detroit fans are real sore losers going by their board. We emptied the tank yesterday against a real opponent and played our backup. Obviously we weren't playing our best game and we still lit them up

Have you been on our board after a loss? We have some of the worst. :rolleyes:

Reactions: The ORB

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
DMd5ccVVoAEkEMf.jpg

Do you ever call into question fancy graphs? I mean they can be so wrong so often and people sit there and worship this stuff.

Its all in the eye test, you are the better computer because you can train yourself to factor more things. Sure our minds fill in a lot of blanks but it works.

It is nice to have stats kept though and sometimes they point out the things you can't quite put your finger on.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
holy crap.

Oct 9 2015 - the Leafs lost to Detroit 4-0. since that game. Detroit and the Leafs have are basically the same. look.

by NHL.com - Since that game, Detroit and Toronto practically have the same record. With their loss on Wednesday, the Red Wings are 77-69-24 in that span under Jeff Blashill, Babcock's successor, with 178 points in 170 games. The Maple Leafs are 75-68-26, with 176 points in 169 games.

that's. freaky

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Do you ever call into question fancy graphs? I mean they can be so wrong so often and people sit there and worship this stuff.

Its all in the eye test, you are the better computer because you can train yourself to factor more things. Sure our minds fill in a lot of blanks but it works.

It is nice to have stats kept though and sometimes they point out the things you can't quite put your finger on.

Not the ones where I know how and why they're being made.

If you saw a different outcome than a garbage 1st, a decent 2nd, and a medicore 3rd idk what to tell you.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
From the Habs' "blow up the team" thread:

"Shouldn't trade away any of our star players for picks/prospects until we know Tavares decision.
Signing him would make us true contenders."

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not the ones where I know how and why they're being made.

If you saw a different outcome than a garbage 1st, a decent 2nd, and a medicore 3rd idk what to tell you.

Most nights we look like drunk superstars having our way with teams and not even caring about how we are playing. Know why? Its not that we are drunk, its that they are cocky and are just stepping on the gas. Detroit was a rested team, we took some swigs showed special skills and won the game.

This team is stacked and filthy frothing with swag.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lol karma? What’s the worst that could happen, other fan bases pile on us non-stop? The attitude towards Leaf Nation will always be the same, whether Toronto wins anything or not. I just can’t rationalize being civil and respectful towards fans and fan bases that harbour nothing but contempt for us as a group. How about they stick to their board, we’ll stick to ours, and if anyone wants to go to the main boards, then they should expect it to go both ways.

1. Never a good idea to judge an entire group based on the actions of some individuals

2. If you were sticking to our boards, how do you know what's going on in the other teams boards?

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I just noticed that so far this season every guy who takes face offs is absolutely crushing it around 54+ % except Fehr. Crazy. Last year we only had Bozak? who could reliably win a faceoff

Last night during the game i think they were talking about how bad Kadri was destroying Zetterberg in the dot at one point

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
DMd5ccVVoAEkEMf.jpg

Expected goals were 2.38 for Detroit, 1.94 for Toronto last night.....that said, we were up 4-1........we pretty much parked the bus for most of the 3rd.

Can't take too much stock into that. Thought we were shaky when the Red Wings caught up for a short stretch and closed it out otherwise.

We have things to clean up but expected goals for tonight's game doesn't really summarize that we were playing with a lead, probably got a bit complacent, but shut it down when we needed to. All things considered, you'd ideally want them to dominate and close it out from the start but I give them a pass...Detrioit was well-rested and we we weren't skating well on the 2nd night of a b2b.

I think it's nice to look at analytics but in the context of last night- we deserved the win. Got off to a early lead almost right away and didn't really look back. Most metrics- possession, scoring chances, xgoals would make it seem like we weren't the superior team last night, which wasn't really the case.

It was more of a case like......we got off to a huge lead right away and another team was playing behind of the night which inherently, is a bit of a stat-padder.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Expected goals were 2.38 for Detroit, 1.94 for Toronto last night.....that said, we were up 4-1........we pretty much parked the bus for most of the 3rd.

Can't take too much stock into that. Thought we were shaky when the Red Wings caught up for a short stretch and closed it out otherwise.

We have things to clean up but expected goals for tonight's game doesn't really summarize that we were playing with a lead, probably got a bit complacent, but shut it down when we needed to. All things considered, you'd ideally want them to dominate and close it out from the start but I give them a pass...Detrioit was well-rested and we we weren't skating well on the 2nd night of a b2b.

Most of it was because of the 1st period though where we got utterly dominated and came away with 4 goals. That's not something we can rely on... but at the same time we're dominating periods (1st against Washington) and coming away with nothing.

We were due some luck / bad goaltending after the way we've played.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most nights we look like drunk superstars having our way with teams and not even caring about how we are playing. Know why? Its not that we are drunk, its that they are cocky and are just stepping on the gas. Detroit was a rested team, we took some swigs showed special skills and won the game.

This team is stacked and filthy frothing with swag.

I've been thinking about how to summarise our play so far and that's as good a way of describing it as any. Be really interesting to see where we're at after another 20 games. And I'm really looking forward to the LA game. I know, Ottawa should be a good game too and I know I shouldn't be looking past that but I just can't help it. I did the same for the CHI game and that worked out OK so sue me. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad