Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There have been some who have expressed that they hope to see him absolutely fail, which is ridiculous to say about someone on your own team. As for less extreme, and much more common, examples, just look at some of the PGTs after games where he was quiet. There's a lot of people who take some weird pleasure in that, for no other reason than that they dislike that others like him.

It's absurd.

I have been critical of him, but "hate" is a little strong. I expected more from him. A lot fans expect more from him.

My point was that last night's game seemed to be a big one for him, and he stood out. Other games he didn't.

Vonsplat

Apr 30, 2016
Looks like he clearly elbows Andersen in the head on his way across.
Exactly, look at it this way, if he elbowed Anderson on his way through the crease and the puck didn't go in, would it be a penalty? Of course it would, so the play would be blown dead and no goal after the whistle.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly, look at it this way, if he elbowed Anderson on his way through the crease and the puck didn't go in, would it be a penalty? Of course it would, so the play would be blown dead and no goal after the whistle.

I'd also add that all my penalty shots and shoot outs will from now on, involve my skating through the crease while elbowing the goalie in the head as I come across.

Reactions: socko and Vonsplat

coachbob59

Feb 13, 2018
Question is whether he was pushed into Andy and it looked like that to me. If the ref had not called goalie interference, it should have been a goal. Sometimes the bear eats you and sometimes you eat the bear. On that call we ate the bear :)

Correct. The call was not whether there was goalie interference, the call was an interference penalty, the goal happened after the penalty was called. Coaches can't challenge a penalty. In saying that, I believe the ref made the wrong call on the penalty as the goalscorer was pushed into the goalie. If I was Pittsburgh, I'm upset that a penalty was called.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
There have been some who have expressed that they hope to see him absolutely fail, which is ridiculous to say about someone on your own team. As for less extreme, and much more common, examples, just look at some of the PGTs after games where he was quiet. There's a lot of people who take some weird pleasure in that, for no other reason than that they dislike that others like him.

It's absurd.
I think I've been down on him but when I see people mention that he could come in and replace JVR's points and goals no problem, it just seems silly to me. He had a good showing tonight, he just needs to bring that every night and get Babcock's trust.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

member 262271

It just goes to show how polarizing the issue of GI is, I'm still seeing people saying the Penguins were shafted. There. Was. Head. Contact! Oooooh and the excuse that Dumoulin was pushed? It's called driving the net, and he crossed the line there. If the officials would just call scenarios like this when they happen there wouldn't be so much confusion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think I've been down on him but when I see people mention that he could come in and replace JVR's points and goals no problem, it just seems silly to me. He had a good showing tonight, he just needs to bring that every night and get Babcock's trust.

nobody says he can replace jvr no problem.

that being said, leivo has produced at a 16gl/39pt pace the last 3yrs in 4th line ice time with mostly 4th line linemates. I wonder what he could do with real minutes on a scoring line.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
After watching the replay a few times, he was shoved in pretty hard and tried to avoid making contact.

Intent is a pretty important factor there. Id be pretty pissed if it happened to us. He was trying to cut in and then wrap around but the push knocked him into the blue paint and even then he was trying not to make contact but still score.

Whats he supposed to do there? Shouldnt have been a penalty. Its hard to even knock the defender who is trying to push him off stride and not meaning to push him into the keeper. Just looked like a hockey play to me.

That may be true, but the based on the interpretion of the rules, that was still a penalty. If an errant stick hits someone in the face with no intent, it's still a penalty.

Reactions: therealkoho

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
nobody says he can replace jvr no problem.

that being said, leivo has produced at a 16gl/39pt pace the last 3yrs in 4th line ice time with mostly 4th line linemates. I wonder what he could do with real minutes on a scoring line.
There were a couple of people. He's definitely more of a scoring winger, if he's with us next year I think he'll get his chance.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
They were calling the penalty so there is no goal, and no challenge allowed on it. You can say Doumolin was steered into Andersen, but instead of trying to get out of the way he elbowed Andersen in the head. I agree with the call.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
this crap is ridicules, you contact the goalie when you are in the blue and then proceed to score THE GOAL SHOULDN'T COUNT. How hard is it for all these refs/coaches/fans to interpret. They got this one right, but because they've botched so many other ones there is no consistency to the rule. To me this couldn't be any more simple to fix. Contact? In the blue? goal immediately after? if all 3 criteria are met, goal is off. How hard is that to interpret.

Pretty much. The only exception in my opinion should be if the offending player was clearly pushed into the goaltender by a player from the defending team and could not avoid contact with the goaltender.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
somehow I ended up hearing that Kypreos guy saying the same thing [that it should have been a goal], the way these guys lie about Leaf related incidents just for the attention is embarrassing to what little credibility they have.

Kypreos was a goon that used to crash the crease all the time in his day. He's obviously biased.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
To be fair, JVR doesn’t bring it every night and clearly doesn’t have Babcock’s trust. I get it’s different for an established player, but if Leivo doesn’t excel every outing it’s like he’s unusual....

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I actually thought it should have counted but I'll admit that I have no clue what goalie interference is anymore. The contact seemed to have no impact on the goal itself. A good goal and a penalty seems about right.

The puck trickled in after Andersen got hit in the head. It could very well have had an impact on his ability to make the save as he was in the process of extending his pad when it happened. Plus, the puck went in after contact, so by definition, the penalty call negates the goal.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It was a gritty win versus us skating them into the ice. I had to double check where the refs were from in the first couple of periods to make sure they weren't from Quebec.

Great win........

Quebec has nothing to do with it, it pretty much looked like payback for Babs tirade on Monday

7 Leafs tossed from the circle before the threw one Penguin out, something about that picture just ain't right

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People who think it was a good call because Hainsey “pushed” him into Andersen are forgetting the fact that a defender is allowed to defend his ground.

Dumolin was skating towards the crease, and even if he was wanting to go around the crease, he couldn’t, since Hainsey is and allowed to be there and make contact.

Thus he entered the crease and hit Andersen in the head before a goal was scored.

Thus penalty.

People can not like it, but this was the least controversial call there is, because the ref actually called it by the book.

This is how it should be called, technically.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
People who think it was a good call because Hainsey “pushed” him into Andersen are forgetting the fact that a defender is allowed to defend his ground.

Dumolin was skating towards the crease, and even if he was wanting to go around the crease, he couldn’t, since Hainsey is and allowed to be there and make contact.

Thus he entered the crease and hit Andersen in the head before a goal was scored.

Thus penalty.

People can not like it, but this was the least controversial call there is, because the ref actually called it by the book.

This is how it should be called, technically.
I don't see why it should be called a penalty, but I understand the no-goal call. He's driving the net to make a play and there's incidental contact.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Should the Dumoulin goal have counted?

I am on the fence, but it does look like he decks Andersen in the head with his elbow before he puts the puck in.
he did, Andersen was in his crease and thus rightly called a goaltender interference penalty, which cannot result in a goal and because it's a penalty cannot be reviewed

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That may be true, but the based on the interpretion of the rules, that was still a penalty. If an errant stick hits someone in the face with no intent, it's still a penalty.

It's actually a bit different when it comes to interference.

It's on the ref to decide wether or not the player intentionally drove the net or was pushed in and it makes a difference on a penalty call.

On this play, the ref believed that Hainseys push from behind played no part in the eventual contact that occurred and that's why there was a penalty. It was all on Dumo.

If the ref decided that the push contributed to the eventual contact, the goal has been regularly waived off until recently anyways due to incidental contact. I can accept that here but I prefer a goal call. I mean, I thought the goal should stand but I understand the other side of the argument, especially considering what has gone on this year. What I dont understand is how you give the guy a penalty there when the hard shove changes his angle.

He wasn't being malicious or careless there and shouldn't get penalised for no reason. What's he supposed to learn from it?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
you know what would make this go away?
going to international rules regarding the crease.

if you are in there, the play is dead. end of story

but the NHL doesn't want to do it,
so you know what will also be good?
not having video challenge.

i don't know who the dumbo was who thought "hey. let's have a video challenge on intent." it's not like offside (which they also screw up). but at least offside is "yes they did, no they did not."

Reactions: Loosie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad