Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I actually thought it should have counted but I'll admit that I have no clue what goalie interference is anymore. The contact seemed to have no impact on the goal itself. A good goal and a penalty seems about right.
You miss something. They call a penalty on the initial contact, which means that play is blown immediately dead. The goal then is after the whistle, which means the goal never happened at all. That's why it was not possible to challenge either.

Reactions: therealkoho

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lots of suggestions that Hainsey needs rest time due to PK TOI.
I only EVER played goal - so, someone weigh in here.

Is PK TOI as strenuous as regular TOI? I thought I remembered Babcock suggesting (indirectly) that he wasn't worried about Hainsey's TOI because a lot of it was PK.
I don't know either, but I have heard that the sports science division had arrived at that conclusion, that's why they use Hainsey and Polak that way.

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
Great win against one of the strongest teams in the league!

Andersen played great, and we banked another two points.

Nothing better then a Saturday night win with Jim Hughson announcing!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Should the Dumoulin goal have counted?

I am on the fence, but it does look like he decks Andersen in the head with his elbow before he puts the puck in.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hainsey was lights out on the PK how is he in the bad category?

6 minutes short handed. We went 3/3 on the kill and Hainsey was on for 5 minutes and 45 seconds......

Call it like you see it?

He also has Nylander in the bad category after going head to head with Malkin and Crosby last night and not giving up a goal

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
There’s no way Brown should be playing over Leivo at this point. I know it’s not going to change but we have enough fast PKers that we don’t need his awful hands on the PP.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Leivo/Kapanen
Komarov-Plekanec-Leivo/Kapanen

Moore, Brown

Without an excellent PK last night we likely dont win.

So, that completely derails your point.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Turned the game on part way through to see Leivo's beauty pass to set up a goal
Still rooting for the guy and even if he doesn't get regular shifts, he's a great back-up option in the playoffs

Nice to see Polak in Malkin's grill

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
However the fact that Button doesn't know you can't challenge the goal because of the penalty call is what I can't understand him not knowing that rule.

To be fair to Button, the refs didn't even understand that last season and it's there job to know the rules..

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Without an excellent PK last night we likely dont win.

So, that completely derails your point.
I still think people underestimate just how important it was to shut down the #1 PP in the league. The Penguins are 26% on the PP and the PK unit and Andersen did a wonderful job. Could have been an entirely different game if they scored on one of the three straight PP's they got.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
this crap is ridicules, you contact the goalie when you are in the blue and then proceed to score THE GOAL SHOULDN'T COUNT. How hard is it for all these refs/coaches/fans to interpret. They got this one right, but because they've botched so many other ones there is no consistency to the rule. To me this couldn't be any more simple to fix. Contact? In the blue? goal immediately after? if all 3 criteria are met, goal is off. How hard is that to interpret.
Under the new rules players have to avoid the goalie at all costs. Driving the net is not permitted like it used to be. The new hockey is vastly different than what it used to be

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Last season a goal similar to what Hainsey did was called back against the Leafs.

So Babcock challenges the goalie interference and not the goal. Why didn't the Pens do that last night? I thought if the puck was ruled no goal on the ice that it couldn't be challenged or something

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If Button says "it's a goal", that's all the proof I need to know that "it should NOT be a goal".

I don't see Hainsey pushing Dumo into Andersen. Not saying it should have been a penalty, but....the goalie has the right to move in his crease unimpeded. Dumo hitting Andersen's head, accidentally or not, impeded Andersen's movement. By any definition of goalie interference.....no goal is the correct call

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Should the Dumoulin goal have counted?

I am on the fence, but it does look like he decks Andersen in the head with his elbow before he puts the puck in.

Most of the guys on the Rogers broadcast missed the boat on the call. Kypper was especially bad when discussing it. They kept looking at it as a goal review type call. Under that scenario, I would say it's a goal. The knock on Andy didn't prevent him from making the save. However, the ref called a penalty for goalie interference, so as soon as the player touched the puck, the play is dead. It would be no difference if the Pitt player has an open cage and behind the play another Pitt player committed a penalty, the play would die as soon as the puck was touched. Doesn't matter how whether or not it would have impacted the goal itself.

The real discussion is should it have been a penalty. My feeling is if a goalie get elbowed in the head in the crease, that's a penalty. If the Pitt player had been pushed in, shouldn't have been a penalty, but he took a dumb angle to the net and smoked the goalie in the head. Player needs to be accountable for that move.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's so hard to hate on refs who have to make split second decisions. He should prioritize the goalies' safety. What did happen in the play was Dumoulin elbowed Andersen.

Good on us for having a call go our way.

Revel in it Leaf fans.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It should of, everyone in the building thought it was a good call. But you know what, happy a call went I our favour. The officiating was brutal.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I still think people underestimate just how important it was to shut down the #1 PP in the league. The Penguins are 26% on the PP and the PK unit and Andersen did a wonderful job. Could have been an entirely different game if they scored on one of the three straight PP's they got.

Agreed.

I mean, it seems pretty obvious to me.

Some people just want full blown offense every game but expect the team to also not allow any goals against, I guess.

That said, I dont think Leivo is a better offensive player then Brown, all things considered.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Like who?
There have been some who have expressed that they hope to see him absolutely fail, which is ridiculous to say about someone on your own team. As for less extreme, and much more common, examples, just look at some of the PGTs after games where he was quiet. There's a lot of people who take some weird pleasure in that, for no other reason than that they dislike that others like him.

It's absurd.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Most of the guys on the Rogers broadcast missed the boat on the call. Kypper was especially bad when discussing it. They kept looking at it as a goal review type call. Under that scenario, I would say it's a goal. The knock on Andy didn't prevent him from making the save. However, the ref called a penalty for goalie interference, so as soon as the player touched the puck, the play is dead. It would be no difference if the Pitt player has an open cage and behind the play another Pitt player committed a penalty, the play would die as soon as the puck was touched. Doesn't matter how whether or not it would have impacted the goal itself.

The real discussion is should it have been a penalty. My feeling is if a goalie get elbowed in the head in the crease, that's a penalty. If the Pitt player had been pushed in, shouldn't have been a penalty, but he took a dumb angle to the net and smoked the goalie in the head. Player needs to be accountable for that move.

Question is whether he was pushed into Andy and it looked like that to me. If the ref had not called goalie interference, it should have been a goal. Sometimes the bear eats you and sometimes you eat the bear. On that call we ate the bear :)

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Arguing goaltender interference is like arguing politics. No one knows the right answer. Maybe because there no longer is a right answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad