Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There were a couple of people. He's definitely more of a scoring winger, if he's with us next year I think he'll get his chance.

eh, you're probably thinking of me. and even I didn't say he was automatic, just that he was one of a number of kids with a shot at replacing most of his production, especially at even strength.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That was a horrible, terrible game for everything except Freddie & outcome. We were dominated very badly.

Pens dominated possesson but scoring chances were pretty even considering.

We basically made up for the Sabres game by getting most of the bounces too.

Game could have gotten out of hand early though if the Pens PP capitalized on the favorable calls they were getting.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
eh, you're probably thinking of me. and even I didn't say he was automatic, just that he was one of a number of kids with a shot at replacing most of his production, especially at even strength.
Nah not you specifically. I think it was more of a he can replace the same impact that JVR has argument. Which don't get me wrong I hope he does next year if he does stay with the Leafs, I just don't see it imo.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Interesting stat.

thru 3 games vs Pitt this season.

Leafs 41 high danger scoring chances vs Pens 31 high danger scoring chances.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Hainsey didn't push his elbow into Andersen's head though...
Agreed but if Hainsey doesn't push him at all he probably doesn't hit Andersen's head. Goalie interference is so confusing. I personally feel like once you hit the Goalie in the blue paint it should be no goal, but I mean if you get pushed into the goalie what do you do?

Like you can see the player path is not originally going for Andersen, he's trying to come out and shoot. Hainsey not only intercepts his path, but instead redirects it right to the Goalies. What do you want the player to do jump out of the way and give up a scoring chance? He even ticked in his shoulder to try to avoid contact. Garbage call really, and like I said if that call happened to us I'd already be furious enough. I couldn't even imagine the witch hunt the refs would get here if that was Kadri and the play was called back while getting a penalty as well.

Should have been a good goal, but we have had our fair share of questions calls so that's the way she goes I guess.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed but if Hainsey doesn't push him at all he probably doesn't hit Andersen's head. Goalie interference is so confusing. I personally feel like once you hit the Goalie in the blue paint it should be no goal, but I mean if you get pushed into the goalie what do you do?

Like you can see the player path is not originally going for Andersen, he's trying to come out and shoot. Hainsey not only intercepts his path, but instead redirects it right to the Goalies. What do you want the player to do jump out of the way and give up a scoring chance? He even ticked in his shoulder to try to avoid contact. Garbage call really, and like I said if that call happened to us I'd already be furious enough. I couldn't even imagine the witch hunt the refs would get here if that was Kadri and the play was called back while getting a penalty as well.

Should have been a good goal, but we have had our fair share of questions calls so that's the way she goes I guess.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Under the new rules and standards that are being called you have to avoid the goaltender at all costs. This applies even if you are being pushed you have to avoid the goalie

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

In my opinion.. because he drove through the crease to make the initial play, it didn’t matter he was pushed. If you’re entering the crease like that.. you better be able to avoid contact with the goalie.

However.. that’s just my interpretation. Theirs hundreds of others that seem to be completely valid these days lol.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
People who think it was a good call because Hainsey “pushed” him into Andersen are forgetting the fact that a defender is allowed to defend his ground.

Dumolin was skating towards the crease, and even if he was wanting to go around the crease, he couldn’t, since Hainsey is and allowed to be there and make contact.

Thus he entered the crease and hit Andersen in the head before a goal was scored.

Thus penalty.

People can not like it, but this was the least controversial call there is, because the ref actually called it by the book.

This is how it should be called, technically.
I agree. With this play it's so black and white I can't see how you dispute it?

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Let’s look at that play in a different way , with a different approach , a more internal view one might say .
Hainsey played it sooo poorly !
So miss angled !
So soft !
So slow of foot !
So not veteran like !
We can’t let that type of play get to the net , we can’t , no matter who was our DMan and who was the offensive player !
That player and our defender and that play should have ended up in the boards buttoned up and nullified !
I really like the veteran presence of Hainsey and what he brings , I really do !
But when we are truly a competitive one of the top 5 teams perennially , believe me a player like Hainsey is on our bottom pair and limited ice time and specializing more on the PK
Its alllllllll good

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
GOooooo F€£¥ in LEAFS GOoooo

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Dear Mr. Babcock: Rest your older players, keep rotating the lineup, this is the part of the season that puts fans and players to sleep. You have a great lead. USE IT YOU DUMBASS. Give Hainsey a rest. Pay for him and his wife to go to the bahamas for five days or so. Use your head.

Employ Leivo throughout the lineup for the rest of the season. See what he actually has. U know he has a great ass, u see it on the bench enough. Use that saskatchewan science. Hey, if you upgrade, try Johnsson for five games and give your son, Hyman, a rest too, he is old. He is over 25.

I doubt you figure this out, heck, you are only a senior citizen.

Reactions: ToMaLe

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure how many others are reading the topic of the Brian Dumoulin no goal on the main boards, however I just wanted to point out that some Penguins fans on it are saying that Jamie Oleksiak should not even got a penalty when he took down Patrick Marleau on that play which prevented a 2 on 1 chance for the Leafs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
You don't get a penalty for being in the crease.... Just like you don't get a penalty for having your stick high in the air.

Right and then he made contact with Andersen's head. He entered the crease by his own volition and made contact with a protruding elbow.

I've seen this penalty called on Kadri either last season or the season before. Not a peep on any hockey forum.

Reactions: Kurtz

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Right and then he made contact with Andersen's head. He entered the crease by his own volition and made contact with a protruding elbow.

I've seen this penalty called on Kadri either last season or the season before. Not a peep on any hockey forum.
I said this before and I will say it again. When a call like last night goes in favour of the Leafs, we see fans of other teams complain. When the call goes against the Leafs no one says anything and if they do it's always the right call.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
-
The one concern with last night was the 2 goals against when there was under 4 min. to go.

+
The nice thing that occurred last night was the determination not to let the 3rd goal in, and the goal by Marleau to put it away. Nice to look for Kadri, but even better not to force a play.

It was a statement game. The leafs are good enough to play against any team in a playoff series.

One more note:

The Komarov / Polak detractors should eat a little crow. Come on. Just apologize a little ok. :)

Reactions: therealkoho

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
-
The one concern with last night was the 2 goals against when there was under 4 min. to go.

+
The nice thing that occurred last night was the determination not to let the 3rd goal in, and the goal by Marleau to put it away. Nice to look for Kadri, but even better not to force a play.

It was a statement game. The leafs are good enough to play against any team in a playoff series.

One more note:

The Komarov / Polak detractors should eat a little crow. Come on. Just apologize a little ok. :)
Crosby's goal was because of a deflection off Hainsey's stick and the 2nd goal is when they were playing 6v5. It sucked to see them allow those late goals, however I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Reactions: therealkoho

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Question:

Was Zaitsev's absense our benefit?

I really hope Babs is not afraid to healthy scratch him if he keeps struggling.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Question:

Was Zaitsev's absense our benefit?

I really hope Babs is not afraid to healthy scratch him if he keeps struggling.

He was our best D the previous 2 games and if you average out the previous 8 stat wise he has been one of our best.

Jake Gardiner had one of his worst games of the season last night without him, as bad as any Zaitsev game I can remember.

He's only had a meh season overall but the collective dillusion about him being so awful is getting worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad