Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Crosby got a bit of a lucky one after some good work down low and then the Pens pulled their goalie with 3:30 left, getting one goal off of a nice deflection by Hornqvist (the shot was going wide) while they were up 6 on 5.

Marleau got the empty netter
Crosby's goal was also deflected off the stick of Hainsey who you can say was also screening Andersen as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
this crap is ridicules, you contact the goalie when you are in the blue and then proceed to score THE GOAL SHOULDN'T COUNT. How hard is it for all these refs/coaches/fans to interpret. They got this one right, but because they've botched so many other ones there is no consistency to the rule. To me this couldn't be any more simple to fix. Contact? In the blue? goal immediately after? if all 3 criteria are met, goal is off. How hard is that to interpret.
Especially with all the talk about player safety and concussions the fact that Button doesn't mention that is ridiculous. The good thing is that Andersen was not hurt because they didn't make him leave the game right away for the quiet room.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think the coaching staff actually already distributes ice time fairly evenly. No forward really gets more than 17-18 minutes per game and the d-core is balanced as well. I do think that Babs' could reduce Hainsey's PK TOI since he plays so many minutes though, and get Dermott some time in there.

I also think the Pleks acquisition inherently will help the Leafs use their fourth line as well in this regard.

I want to cut the TOI, games played of Andersen Hainsey Zaitsev (there PK TOI especially) and Marleau

I think all those guys need to have minutes taken off them now to try to freshen them up for what's hopefully a longish playoff run

Most of the forwards don't concern me because most of those guys aren't noticeably slowing down as the season progresses (except Marleau)

Babcock will need to get over the whole stance of only playing McBackUp for back to backs in that stretch.

In the last 10 or so games I wouldn't mind seeing McBackup start 4-5 of them, Chuck Hainsey and Marleau into that mix as well

God only knows what Zaitsev needs, but easing his workload could help him sort himself out

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
somehow I ended up hearing that Kypreos guy saying the same thing [that it should have been a goal], the way these guys lie about Leaf related incidents just for the attention is embarrassing to what little credibility they have.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I want to cut the TOI, games played of Andersen Hainsey Zaitsev (there PK TOI especially) and Marleau

I think all those guys need to have minutes taken off them now to try to freshen them up for what's hopefully a longish playoff run

Most of the forwards don't concern me because most of those guys aren't noticeably slowing down as the season progresses (except Marleau)

In the last 10 or so games I wouldn't mind seeing McBackup start 4-5 of them, Chuck Hainsey and Marleau into that mix as well

God only knows what Zaitsev needs, but easing his workload could help him sort himself out

This year it is what it is but next year centre and defense needs to be figured out. We need more defenseman that are capable of playing penalty kill so Zaitsev and Hainsey don't burn out. It is also crazy that we don't have a go-to PK centre guy, a lot of our PK personnel are wingers. Beagle or Brodziak at 4C would be huge.

In terms of that last little bit I would be fine with giving some guys nights off, especially if they've been playing banged up. Marlies clinched the playoffs yesterday so we could reward Johnsson with a string of games to end the season. It works 2 fold, he sees what the NHL is like for next year and we can get a bit of a feel for how he'll feel on the team next year, I see Babcock being a huge fan.

Johnsson reminds me of a poor man's Arvidsson

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
somehow I ended up hearing that Kypreos guy saying the same thing [that it should have been a goal], the way these guys lie about Leaf related incidents just for the attention is embarrassing to what little credibility they have.
I honestly wonder if they say all these calls should go against the Leafs for ratings because as I said before that seems to be the theory every time there is a controversial call for or against them. They say the refs got it right when a goal for them was taken away or against was still allowed. However it's always the wrong call when a Leafs goal was allowed to stand like against Boston 2 weeks ago and like tonight.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Once the Leafs have clinched their playoff spot and assuming 3rd in the Atlantic, we should see something like that happen. For example you would think the final 3 games of the season they could rest Andersen.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I honestly wonder if they say all these calls should go against the Leafs for ratings because as I said before that seems to be the theory every time there is a controversial call for or against them. They say the refs got it right when a goal for them was taken away or against was still allowed. However it's always the wrong call when a Leafs goal was allowed to stand like against Boston 2 weeks ago and like tonight.

that is essentially what I was saying

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I actually thought it should have counted but I'll admit that I have no clue what goalie interference is anymore. The contact seemed to have no impact on the goal itself. A good goal and a penalty seems about right.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I actually thought it should have counted but I'll admit that I have no clue what goalie interference is anymore. The contact seemed to have no impact on the goal itself. A good goal and a penalty seems about right.
With the history of Andersen being hit in the head by players from other teams I was happy to see this call result the way it did. Now you can say it wasn't much compared to what we have seen in the past. So maybe this no goal means other players should watch it when skating around Andersen and his crease.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
this crap is ridicules, you contact the goalie when you are in the blue and then proceed to score THE GOAL SHOULDN'T COUNT. How hard is it for all these refs/coaches/fans to interpret. They got this one right, but because they've botched so many other ones there is no consistency to the rule. To me this couldn't be any more simple to fix. Contact? In the blue? goal immediately after? if all 3 criteria are met, goal is off. How hard is that to interpret.
You're forgetting one important point. Hainsey pushed him. I would be pretty mad if that was called back on us.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
With the history of Andersen being hit in the head by players from other teams I was happy to see this call result the way it did. Now you can say it wasn't much compared to what we have seen in the past. So maybe this no goal means other players should watch it when skating around Andersen and his crease.
I didn't like it at all but I'm tired of people pretending like players aren't shoved into the goalie. It's silly how much people overlook it. 99% of players aren't running the goalie because they know how sensitive the league can be about it, as well as retaliation with their own goalie. I just don't see much intent, more an accident in these cases.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hainsey was lights out on the PK how is he in the bad category?

6 minutes short handed. We went 3/3 on the kill and Hainsey was on for 5 minutes and 45 seconds......

Call it like you see it?
Upon further review ..........
The call stands ...!!
Fair points , fair points indeed u make !
I considered that assessment of yours , and concluded that for sure he did do a good job on the Pk but I also thought that the whole unit especially the two forward sets did stellar jobs on all the PK ‘s
Never the less he was part of them .
But I thought again , looking at the entire night he did have some glaring gaffes and was caught out of position a couple of times as well .
Also I just would like to see Dermott up with Reilly and Hainsey down to the 3 rd pairing and that would lower his minuets a bit to concentrate more on the flexibility of certain situations and healthier , stronger shifts on the PK s especially down the stretch to keep him fresher for the playoffs .
I feel the same for Marleau
Anyway I respect your opinion

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it in a broader scope of the entire game !

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Shouldn't have been a penalty but definitely goalie interference

But I'd like more penalties attached to the calls so there's less contact being made
Now I’m not completely up to date but how is that not a penalty? Dumolin skated through the crease and bumped Andersen in the head before the puck went in.

Reactions: theleafnationdave13

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Good night for Polak, happy he got into Malkins head. We do play well against the top teams, hopefully we can play the same against the poorer ones. Andy made some nice saves early on to avoid the old, we didn't start on time story. Kadri outplaying Sid was great to see as well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Once the Leafs have clinched their playoff spot and assuming 3rd in the Atlantic, we should see something like that happen. For example you would think the final 3 games of the season they could rest Andersen.
My opinion. That’s a bad idea to rest Andersen for the last 3 games. He’d probably like to play the last 3 games to keep all his momentum going. Don’t want him to go into the playoffs cold.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
With all the favourable calls the Penguins have got in the past, Crosby should not be the one to complain when something does not go their way.
lol Crosby amputates a players finger on the ice with his stick, and gets no penalty, and complains about the refs?????
I really miss the days of Wayne Gretzky and his class.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
My opinion. That’s a bad idea to rest Andersen for the last 3 games. He’d probably like to play the last 3 games to keep all his momentum going. Don’t want him to go into the playoffs cold.
how about play him one of the three, second to last.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Listen, I said this on Twitter and I'll say it again. The call was made on the ice, immediately. At full speed. Rather this and spend 10 mins reviewing it and beating it like a dead horse. It's easy to tear it apart in slo-mo. Questioning every slight touch. The pens player was touched by the leafs defender, made a hard turn and drove through the crease. Not attempt was made to avoid. Made contact with the goalie. While driving through the crease. The "push" which was not that bad would not have changed the pens player was going though the crease.

For all the slo-mo warriors out there. Try watching it at full speed.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
great win against a red hot pens team without matthews and zaitsev after a lengthy break.
we were missing Matthews which hurts us and Zaitsev which helps.
Pens may have played better with a goalie in the net

Last edited:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There’s no way Brown should be playing over Leivo at this point. I know it’s not going to change but we have enough fast PKers that we don’t need his awful hands on the PP.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Leivo/Kapanen
Komarov-Plekanec-Leivo/Kapanen

Moore, Brown

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Lots of suggestions that Hainsey needs rest time due to PK TOI.
I only EVER played goal - so, someone weigh in here.

Is PK TOI as strenuous as regular TOI? I thought I remembered Babcock suggesting (indirectly) that he wasn't worried about Hainsey's TOI because a lot of it was PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad