Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Correct. The call was not whether there was goalie interference, the call was an interference penalty, the goal happened after the penalty was called. Coaches can't challenge a penalty. In saying that, I believe the ref made the wrong call on the penalty as the goalscorer was pushed into the goalie. If I was Pittsburgh, I'm upset that a penalty was called.

Dumolin skated into the crease even before being pushed. Watch where his skates are positioned right before entering the crease.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
you know what would make this go away?
going to international rules regarding the crease.

if you are in there, the play is dead. end of story

but the NHL doesn't want to do it,
so you know what will also be good?
not having video challenge.

i don't know who the dumbo was who thought "hey. let's have a video challenge on intent." it's not like offside (which they also screw up). but at least offside is "yes they did, no they did not."

They should just make the calls by vote @ head office. The guys are paid to be there anyways, same guys vote on all goals. Saves time and money in the end. 5 people watch the same camera angles with 2mins max time for a challenge decision. (most will probably be made within the first 60 seconds anyways)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
People who think it was a good call because Hainsey “pushed” him into Andersen are forgetting the fact that a defender is allowed to defend his ground.

Dumolin was skating towards the crease, and even if he was wanting to go around the crease, he couldn’t, since Hainsey is and allowed to be there and make contact.

Thus he entered the crease and hit Andersen in the head before a goal was scored.

Thus penalty.

People can not like it, but this was the least controversial call there is, because the ref actually called it by the book.

This is how it should be called, technically.

What's wrong with calling incidental contact due to the shove but still calling off the goal there?

Here's a hypothetical:

OT in game 7 of the finals and Matthews drives the net on an effort to finally win a cup for Toronto and as he comes around the net, he gets knocked off-stride by Big Buff and his arm makes contact with the keepers head as he puck trickles in.

I'd like that to count but could understand incidental contact being called as tight as it has playing a role....but instead they call it a penalty and the Leafs get scored on at the other end.....

That would be an uproar of epic proportions and I think would have a very different reaction around here.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think in the playoffs we're not going to see a lot of calls overturned, as the stakes are too high for the refs, and there will absolutely be goals that should not count because there will be a lot of traffic around the crease and contact will be made.

It's going to be a gong show.

Also it's really sad that now every time there's a goal around the net or with a guy standing in front of the net, I get less excited because I want to see the replay to ensure there was no interference.

That's how bad the league has gotten with it. And it needs to stop.

Reactions: OddyOh

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Hyman with over a minute more time on ice than any other Leafs forward.

Polak almost 4 minutes more icetime than Rielly.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What's wrong with calling incidental contact due to the shove but still calling off the goal there?

Here's a hypothetical:

OT in game 7 of the finals and Matthews drives the net on an effort to finally win a cup for Toronto and as he comes around the net, he gets knocked off-stride by Big Buff and his arm makes contact with the keepers head as he puck trickles in.

I'd like that to count but could understand incidental contact being called as tight as it has playing a role....but instead they call it a penalty and the Leafs get scored on at the other end.....

That would be an uproar of epic proportions and I think would have a very different reaction around here.

A goal gets waived off due to incidental contact with a goaltender.

This wasn’t a scoring play. Dumolin made contact with Andersen, and then put the puck in. The ref also blew the play dead (or had the intent too) as soon as contact with Andersen was made, as he was calling the interference and Dumolin still had possession of the puck, at the very least in the refs mind.

Thus, this is a goalie interference penalty.

If Dumolin had made that contact as a shot from the point was coming in and a goal was scored, then you’d see it waived off due to goalie interference and PIT could have challenged.

However since he interfered with Andersen on what is deemed a non-scoring play, it is a 2 minute minor

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Here's a hypothetical:

That’s like a nightmare scenario for the police I think. Cities would literally burn.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
A goal gets waived off due to incidental contact with a goaltender.

This wasn’t a scoring play. Dumolin made contact with Andersen, and then put the puck in. The ref also blew the play dead (or had the intent too) as soon as contact with Andersen was made, as he was calling the interference and Dumolin still had possession of the puck, at the very least in the refs mind.

Thus, this is a goalie interference penalty.

If Dumolin had made that contact as a shot from the point was coming in and a goal was scored, then you’d see it waived off due to goalie interference and PIT could have challenged.

However since he interfered with Andersen on what is deemed a non-scoring play, it is a 2 minute minor

Oh I agree that it wasnt officially a scoring play due to the penalty. I understand the technicalities here but penalizing a guy for IMO not being malicious and/or reckless just seems like a VERY slippery slope.

Another thing is the fact its all up to the ref here and cannot be reviewable. Does every ref make this call?

Some probably do, some waive it off and dont call a penalty and some let the goal stand.

There really is no consistency.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
At first I thought the Pens got screwed but that's because I didn't see him hit Andersen's mask.

Rule 69.3 applies here since Dumoulin crashed the crease. It's straight up textbook no-goal.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think in the playoffs we're not going to see a lot of calls overturned, as the stakes are too high for the refs, and there will absolutely be goals that should not count because there will be a lot of traffic around the crease and contact will be made.

It's going to be a gong show.

Also it's really sad that now every time there's a goal around the net or with a guy standing in front of the net, I get less excited because I want to see the replay to ensure there was no interference.

That's how bad the league has gotten with it. And it needs to stop.

exactly. that's horrible :(

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hyman with over a minute more time on ice than any other Leafs forward.

Polak almost 4 minutes more icetime than Rielly.
Hyman had the most PK icetime for forwards at 3:31 and he was 5th in even strength ice time, he's right where he should have been imo. Polak had almost 5 minutes on just the PK but it was also one of his best games so maybe Babcock was rewarding him more icetime at EV.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Hyman had the most PK icetime for forwards at 3:31 and he was 5th in even strength ice time, he's right where he should have been imo. Polak had almost 5 minutes on just the PK but it was also one of his best games so maybe Babcock was rewarding him more icetime at EV.

Nothing wrong with it last night, just an observation.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Regardless of whether the current rules made waiving off the goal the correct call, I'm tired of seeing Leafs' goalies (and other NHL goalies) get hit in the head.

Reactions: BVG

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Quebec has nothing to do with it, it pretty much looked like payback for Babs tirade on Monday

7 Leafs tossed from the circle before the threw one Penguin out, something about that picture just ain't right

I agree with you about something not being right but I have also noticed over the decades a very clear and unarguable bias by refs originating from that province against the Maple Leafs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Probably the most despicable thing I've witnessed by a Leafs' player was when Nik Kypreos used a push to his back as an opportunity to jump on and injure Grant Fuhr. Removing the future Hall of Famer from the series didn't matter as Curtis Joseph replaced Fuhr and eliminated the Leafs. Probably the least upsetting Leafs' playoff loss in my memory with that incident, the team eking into the playoffs with sub-.500 record and an idiot coaching the team (Nick Beverley).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Probably the most despicable thing I've witnessed by a Leafs' player was when Nik Kypreos used a push to his back as an opportunity to jump on and injure Grant Fuhr. Removing the future Hall of Famer from the series didn't matter as Curtis Joseph replaced Fuhr and eliminated the Leafs. Probably the least upsetting Leafs' playoff loss in my memory with that incident, the team eking into the playoffs with sub-.500 record and an idiot coaching the team (Nick Beverley).
John Casey was the backup, Cujo was in Edmonton at that point.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They should just make the calls by vote @ head office. The guys are paid to be there anyways, same guys vote on all goals. Saves time and money in the end. 5 people watch the same camera angles with 2mins max time for a challenge decision. (most will probably be made within the first 60 seconds anyways)
Maybe they can just vote on which team played better and award the 2 points. Forget about keeping score altogether.:laugh:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Huge win to come out of the rut. Beating Tampa and Pitts recently. We can clearly hang with the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille