Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
It was a gritty win versus us skating them into the ice. I had to double check where the refs were from in the first couple of periods to make sure they weren't from Quebec.

Great win........

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It would be insanely hard to catch Boston with them being 7pts ahead with 3 games in hand but damn do they have a rough stretch coming up.

@CHI
@Car
@Flo
@TB
vs CLB
@STL
@DAL
@MINN
@Winn
vs TB

I'm of the opinion that resting our players down the stretch and not overplaying them would be of more benefit than chasing home ice with little chance of getting it

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm of the opinion that resting our players down the stretch and not overplaying them would be of more benefit than chasing home ice with little chance of getting it

Thing is that the Leafs are in a stretch where the play 1 game in 8 days, and 3 games within a 13 day stretch. IMO this break in the schedule is the rest that the team needs for the stretch drive. I wouldn't be worried about them wearing down.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Elbow + head = penalty. I don’t have a clue how anyone can see that as not an issue. He went to the net, fine. But you smack the goalie in the head with your elbow, that’s a penalty.

After watching the replay a few times, he was shoved in pretty hard and tried to avoid making contact.

Intent is a pretty important factor there. Id be pretty pissed if it happened to us. He was trying to cut in and then wrap around but the push knocked him into the blue paint and even then he was trying not to make contact but still score.

Whats he supposed to do there? Shouldnt have been a penalty. Its hard to even knock the defender who is trying to push him off stride and not meaning to push him into the keeper. Just looked like a hockey play to me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Polak had a reasonably good game, that was good to see for once. Carrick was invisible but in the good way so that was great as well.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Thing is that the Leafs are in a stretch where the play 1 game in 8 days, and 3 games within a 13 day stretch. IMO this break in the schedule is the rest that the team needs for the stretch drive. I wouldn't be worried about them wearing down.

For the last 12-13 games of the season were playing every other night basically and Andersen has seen a ton of rubber even with this break

Our chances of catching Boston are tiny so instead of chasing that forlorn hope getting everybody fit and limiting our best players TOI for the rest of the regular season has a lot of benefits

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
After watching the replay a few times, he was shoved in pretty hard and tried to avoid making contact.

Intent is a pretty important factor there. Id be pretty pissed if it happened to us. He was trying to cut in and then wrap around but the push knocked him into the blue paint and even then he was trying not to make contact but still score.

Whats he supposed to do there? Shouldnt have been a penalty. Its hard to even knock the defender who is trying to push him off stride and not meaning to push him into the keeper. Just looked like a hockey play to me.
I'm actually leaning towards no penalty, maybe good goal myself.

I think the league needs to make a decision on what defenders are expected to do there though. Hainsey doesn't have a lot of options. Either he engages, with a crease situation like this the likely result, or he lets the guy walk right in.

As I see it, they can go two ways. Either they prioritize protecting the crease, and then they'll likely need to tell players that if they indirectly cause this to be violated, the onus will be on them, except in extreme cases. Or they allow the battle, and communicate to goaltenders that their free reign in the crease is not a guarantee. But then the GI calls need to be made accordingly.

If you look at this call in particular and net battles in general, you have a mixture. Goaltenders expect to have free reign in the crease, with almost no regard for players, but the players are expected to battle for positioning and space even if the result will mean players being pushed towards the goaltender. The result is constant complex judgement calls.

One thing I've toyed with since the game is the idea of a shallow crease with international rules, and an expanded area beyond that can be entered by offensive players with the puck or to make a play at the puck, but where the goaltender is not protected the same way.

Reactions: weems

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
For the last 12-13 games of the season were playing every other night basically and Andersen has seen a ton of rubber even with this break

Our chances of catching Boston are tiny so instead of chasing that forlorn hope getting everybody fit and limiting our best players TOI for the rest of the regular season has a lot of benefits

I think the coaching staff actually already distributes ice time fairly evenly. No forward really gets more than 17-18 minutes per game and the d-core is balanced as well. I do think that Babs' could reduce Hainsey's PK TOI since he plays so many minutes though, and get Dermott some time in there.

I also think the Pleks acquisition inherently will help the Leafs use their fourth line as well in this regard.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Maybe sitting out Hainsey for a game or two would be a smart idea.

We need that guy somewhat fresh for the playoffs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Babcock will need to get over the whole stance of only playing McBackUp for back to backs in that stretch.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
With respect to the few comments about Hughson, I watched the Penguins feed, actually I don't mind the opposition feed for Leafs games, even if they are a tad biased, I still enjoy. It was funny listening to Bob Errey go on and on about Anderssen:
"he's not mobile or nimble or fast but he stops a lot of pucks",
"what's he got under the jersey, a mattress? he's huge"

Too funny!

Do they not realize he’s 6’4 and weighs 230 plus pounds? Murray looks the same size and is a string bean lol

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
The Real Good ...........
Reils
Nazy
Dermott
Fred
Marner
Kappy

The Good ............
Leivo
Komo
Polak
Hyman

The Meh ........
Turtle Hab
Bozy
Brownie
Marleau

The Bad.........
Nylander
Carrick
JVR
Hainsey

The Ugly ..........
Jake

Sorry
RuKus calls it like I sees it!
GOooo F€£¥in Leafs GOooo

Last edited:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
The Real Good ...........
Reils
Nazy
Dermott
Fred
Marner
Kappy

The Good ............
Leivo
Komo
Polak
Hyman

The Meh ........
Turtle Hab
Bozy
Brownie
Marleau

The Bad.........
Nylander
Carrick
JVR
Hainsey

The Ugly ..........
Jake

Sorry
RuKus calls it like I sees it!
GOooo F€£¥in Leafs GOooo

Hainsey was lights out on the PK how is he in the bad category?

6 minutes short handed. We went 3/3 on the kill and Hainsey was on for 5 minutes and 45 seconds......

Call it like you see it?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I left with 5 min left and it was 4-0, did we just collapse at the end?

Fun game, we looked a little rusty but we seemed to get better as th game progressed and the PK and PP was fantastic.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I left with 5 min left and it was 4-0, did we just collapse at the end?

Fun game, we looked a little rusty but we seemed to get better as th game progressed and the PK and PP was fantastic.

Crosby got a bit of a lucky one after some good work down low and then the Pens pulled their goalie with 3:30 left, getting one goal off of a nice deflection by Hornqvist (the shot was going wide) while they were up 6 on 5.

Marleau got the empty netter

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Crosby got a bit of a lucky one after some good work down low and then the Pens pulled their goalie with 3:30 left, getting one goal off of a nice deflection by Hornqvist (the shot was going wide) while they were up 6 on 5.

Marleau got the empty netter

Thanks, I like that Marleau pads his goals with empty netters because I feel like until this season we were terrible at them. It might be a “free” goal but it still ices the game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As I expected Craig Button to say he thought that Penguins goal by Brian Dumoulin should have counted because whenever these calls go for or against the Leafs he's never been on their side. The one thing he never mentions is how the ref was calling Dumoulin for goalie interference, so that penalty automatically means the goal can not be challenged.

Button on interference call: 'Why don't we just put goalies in a bubble'

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Shouldn't have been a penalty but definitely goalie interference

But I'd like more penalties attached to the calls so there's less contact being made

Reactions: PuckMagi

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I agree with him that it wasn't a penalty, but don't know about interference. Andersen gets clipped in the head there, that's worst than the Avs, Yotes calls that we lost the coin-flip on, where was his impassioned case then?

Hawks call is a different story. That was a far worst call than any of the above.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with him that it wasn't a penalty, but don't know about interference. Andersen gets clipped in the head there, that's worst than the Avs, Yotes calls that we lost the coin-flip on, where was his impassioned case then?

Hawks call is a different story. That was a far worst call than any of the above.
In that game against the Blackhawks I remember that Artem Anisimov was on Andersen's back and Button thought it was right call to still allow them that goal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to mention this. You can debate if that should or should not have been 2:00 minutes for goalie interference. Selfishly I was happy with the call since Marner scored on that ensuing power play. However the fact that Button doesn't know you can't challenge the goal because of the penalty call is what I can't understand him not knowing that rule.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
this crap is ridicules, you contact the goalie when you are in the blue and then proceed to score THE GOAL SHOULDN'T COUNT. How hard is it for all these refs/coaches/fans to interpret. They got this one right, but because they've botched so many other ones there is no consistency to the rule. To me this couldn't be any more simple to fix. Contact? In the blue? goal immediately after? if all 3 criteria are met, goal is off. How hard is that to interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad