Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Zaitsev is a disaster this season. Our first present era contract disaster as well. Guy is afraid of his own shadow now. He is good at abusing opponents, a la Polak, but he is a shell of himself of last year. Guy is clueless positionally. ECHL lite.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Zaitsev is a disaster this season. Our first present era contract disaster as well. Guy is afraid of his own shadow now. He is good at abusing opponents, a la Polak, but he is a shell of himself of last year. Guy is clueless positionally. ECHL lite.

oh, if only.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
I come in peace.

Given the goalie interference calls and non-calls I thought I would resurrect this gif/meme.

1ok6ib.gif

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
In my opinion.. because he drove through the crease to make the initial play, it didn’t matter he was pushed. If you’re entering the crease like that.. you better be able to avoid contact with the goalie.

However.. that’s just my interpretation. Theirs hundreds of others that seem to be completely valid these days lol.
So any time there's a player in the crease, the defence can just push him into the goalie and get a free power play?

That would seem like a pretty silly rule.

Here's the undeniable truth... if a leaf player was pushed into a goalie like that, and not only was the goal called off, but they also received a penalty... this leaf board would have lost their collective minds.

Here's a good way to see if you're too affected by your own personal biases or not...
When Matthews had that goal cancelled last month due to that nonsensical goalie interference call, the entire main board agreed it was a bullshit call. Those without eggs in either basket agreed that Matthews goal should have counted.
Similarly, literally everybody other than leaf fans thinks yesterday's goal should have counted (or at the very least there shouldn't have been a penalty). Hockey fans with nothing to gain/lose in the situation will be much less biased.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Terrible post and an overreaction as well but maybe you like to say things like that.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

oh for god sakes. he is not.

Reactions: therealkoho

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
So any time there's a player in the crease, the defence can just push him into the goalie and get a free power play?

That would seem like a pretty silly rule.

Here's the undeniable truth... if a leaf player was pushed into a goalie like that, and not only was the goal called off, but they also received a penalty... this leaf board would have lost their collective minds.

Here's a good way to see if you're too affected by your own personal biases or not...
When Matthews had that goal cancelled last month due to that nonsensical goalie interference call, the entire main board agreed it was a bull**** call. Those without eggs in either basket agreed that Matthews goal should have counted.
Similarly, literally everybody other than leaf fans thinks yesterday's goal should have counted (or at the very least there shouldn't have been a penalty). Hockey fans with nothing to gain/lose in the situation will be much less biased.
I don’t know the exact rules and I don’t think anybody does right now. That’s the problem. They need clearer rules.

I don’t think it would be wrong to suggest that if a player is already in the crease and gets pushed into the goalie it be called interference.

Now if the player was out of the crease.. and got pushed into the goalie, I’m all for the goal counting.

I can’t really remember the specifics on the Matthews goal.. but I remember at the time hoping it was gonna count, but not without some doubt. I say that to give you better perspective on my leaf bias.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I don’t know the exact rules and I don’t think anybody does right now. That’s the problem. They need clearer rules.

I don’t think it would be wrong to suggest that if a player is already in the crease and gets pushed into the goalie it be called interference.

Now if the player was out of the crease.. and got pushed into the goalie, I’m all for the goal counting.

I can’t really remember the specifics on the Matthews goal.. but I remember at the time hoping it was gonna count, but not without some doubt. I say that to give you better perspective on my leaf bias.

I absolutely agree about the lack of consistency. It's most certainly a problem.

But in this case, Hainsey directly pushed Dumoulin into Andersen. It was a flat out absurd call.

And to suggest that any player in the crease can be pushed against the goalie for a free powerplay is utterly insane. It's a suggestion that borders on being psychotic.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I absolutely agree about the lack of consistency. It's most certainly a problem.

But in this case, Hainsey directly pushed Dumoulin into Andersen. It was a flat out absurd call.

And to suggest that any player in the crease can be pushed against the goalie for a free powerplay is utterly insane. It's a suggestion that borders on being psychotic.
Yeh I didn’t really agree with the penalty because of the Hainsey push. But I have no problem with it being a no goal due to that reasoning.

I think the ref was in a position where he couldn’t really see how much contact Hainsey made and really only saw the head shot to Andersen which is something that also needs to be eliminated from the game. He wanted to call the penalty before he even knew it was a goal.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yeh I didn’t really agree with the penalty because of the Hainsey push. But I have no problem with it being a no goal due to that reasoning.

I think the ref was in a position where he couldn’t really see how much contact Hainsey made and really only saw the head shot to Andersen which is something that also needs to be eliminated from the game. He wanted to call the penalty before he even knew it was a goal.
I agree.

The ref saw contact against Andersen and made an honest mistake.

This isn't like the other goalie interference examples where it can be reviewed. If it could have been reviewed, the goal would almost certainly have counted and there would be no penalty.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I agree.

The ref saw contact against Andersen and made an honest mistake.

This isn't like the other goalie interference examples where it can be reviewed. If it could have been reviewed, the goal would almost certainly have counted and there would be no penalty.
Yeh agreed on the call. I think it would play out that way had they reviewed it too.

My interpretation would be.. any offensive player who willingly enters the crease must assume full responsibility for not making contact with the goalie.

No goal. Now had he been pushed in from outside the crease.. good goal.

That’s just me though lol

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
How was this one of Gardiner's worst games?

Didnt create anything, was timid in the defensive zone and got hemmed in quite often and had trouble clearing the puck.

Bears out in his final numbers of 25% corsi (8,24) and 25% scoring chances (4,12). (Basically Gards was on for 64% of Pens scoring chances and only 22% of the Leafs.

Its too bad as he and Zaitsev were the top pairing the last two games. He'll bounce back though, he always does.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I thought the call was ridiculous last night but after reviewing it today, I'm on the fence. He pushed through a very small space between Hainsey and Andersen and you can tell there was going to be contact regardless of Hainsey shoving him. Look how far back in the crease Andersen is: that's his territory in front of him, it all occurred on blue paint and would have no matter what. And since the very first contact is to the head of a concussion prone player, and it happened before the puck went in, I'm OK with the call now.

I'd still be pissed about it if I was a Penguins fan but I see it as a 50-50 play now. And it's about time one of these calls went our way this season.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Dear Mr. Babcock: Rest your older players, keep rotating the lineup, this is the part of the season that puts fans and players to sleep. You have a great lead. USE IT YOU DUMBASS. Give Hainsey a rest. Pay for him and his wife to go to the bahamas for five days or so. Use your head.

Employ Leivo throughout the lineup for the rest of the season. See what he actually has. U know he has a great ass, u see it on the bench enough. Use that saskatchewan science. Hey, if you upgrade, try Johnsson for five games and give your son, Hyman, a rest too, he is old. He is over 25.

I doubt you figure this out, heck, you are only a senior citizen.

Hainsey is not 50 years old...he's still capable of playing hockey. Malkin, Crosby and Kessel are old too then...maybe Sullivan should have benched them being down 4-0 late.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I thought the call was ridiculous last night but after reviewing it today, I'm on the fence. He pushed through a very small space between Hainsey and Andersen and you can tell there was going to be contact regardless of Hainsey shoving him. Look how far back in the crease Andersen is: that's his territory in front of him, it all occurred on blue paint and would have no matter what. And since the very first contact is to the head of a concussion prone player, and it happened before the puck went in, I'm OK with the call now.

I'd still be pissed about it if I was a Penguins fan but I see it as a 50-50 play now. And it's about time one of these calls went our way this season.
When a leaf player is directly pushed into a goalie, do you analyze the whole situation to that ridiculous of a degree? I'm willing to bet you don't.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
When a leaf player is directly pushed into a goalie, do you analyze the whole situation to that ridiculous of a degree? I'm willing to bet you don't.

Yea, I do. Every time and I try to be honest in my analysis. Either way, the ref didn't analyze it to a "ridiculous degree". He saw a fast play and made a quick decision based on what he saw and made a call. There's nothing untoward about it and my ridiculous degree of analysis tells me at the very least, it wasn't the crazy call I thought it was at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->