Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Penguins | 7:00PM | Saturday Oct. 11, 2014 | CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
@kevin_mcgran: "Guys, it's Game 1. You guys need to relax a bit here.†— Phil Kessel #Leafs

You tell 'em Phil.

Can you say that they lost 13 out of the last 15 regular season games? Or does last season doesn't matter anymore? I am just genuinely curious.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can you say that they lost 13 out of the last 15 regular season games? Or does last season doesn't matter anymore? I am just genuinely curious.

I guess technically you can but I wouldn't say it's fair. There was a lot of changes over the summer and the team is fairly different.

To me, a new season is a new season and shouldn't really mold both together.

I mean the Leafs have won a lot of season openers in the past which hasn't changed much throughout the season. Kessel started some years super super hot, one year it took him over 10 games to get a goal (IIRC). So really, it's a process and looking in the first game of the season to say they are good or bad isn't something that should be done. Does anyone expect the Kings to be dominated this season like their season opener?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I guess technically you can but I wouldn't say it's fair. There was a lot of changes over the summer and the team is fairly different.

To me, a new season is a new season and shouldn't really mold both together.

I mean the Leafs have won a lot of season openers in the past which hasn't changed much in the past. Kessel started some years super super hot, one year it took him over 10 games to get a goal (IIRC). So really, it's a process and looking in the first game of the season to say they are good or bad isn't something that should be done.

Wilson I believe was still the coach so...3 years ago?

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
2yr Stats (until the 5-10gm mark):

Line 4

C P.Holland (23): 64gms, 9gls, 16pts, 44.6cf% 11:26 (82gms, 12gls, 21pts)
C Zach Sill (26): 20gms, 0gls, 0pts, 33.9cf%, 10:48 (82gms, 0gls, 0pts)

W D.Winnik (29): 124gms, 12gls, 49pts, 48.6cf%, 15:57 (82gms, 8gls, 32pts)
W S.Downie (27): 64gms, 4gls, 25pts, 49.6cf%, 13:56 (82gms, 5gls, 32pts)

W R.Panik (23): 75gms, 8gls, 22pts, 48.9cf%, 12:14 (82gms, 9gls, 24pts)
W C.Adams (37): 130gms, 8gls, 20pts, 41.8cf%, 11:59 (82gms, 5gls, 13pts)

Love looking at a 4th line that can collectively put up 30 goals.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Richard Panik will wear number 18 for the Leafs as did another Slovak native and current Leaf scout Peter Ihnacak.
#TMLtalk

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Love looking at a 4th line that can collectively put up 30 goals.

This is what it has come to? If we are playing our 4th line that much, it doesn't auger well that the rest of the team is doing well.

Maybe we should play Santa's line 20 mins a game, best line opening night. Liked their offensive zone time.

Let's do 3rd and 4th line mins, and demote the top 6 to less mins. That might work. :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I expect the top line to come out flying in this one, pissed off by the media attention their poor in game #1 generated. If they do then it appears whatever the strategy was to light a fire under them it would have worked.

Pens lost 2 veteran Dmen in Niskanen and Orpik this off season and their defense will be very leaky as a result providing great scoring opportunities in this one.

I'm expecting a high scoring game if yesterday's Pens game is any indication of what to expect.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wonder how Bernier will play? Keeping it simple, if he plays like he has since he came back from injury last year, then it won't matter how the #1 line plays.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I expect the top line to come out flying in this one, pissed off by the media attention their poor in game #1 generated. If they do then it appears whatever the strategy was to light a fire under them it would have worked.

Pens lost 2 veteran Dmen in Niskanen and Orpik this off season and their defense will be very leaky as a result providing great scoring opportunities in this one.

I'm expecting a high scoring game if yesterday's Pens game is any indication of what to expect.

They also have Paul Martin finally healthy and brought in Christian Ehrhoff. I expect their defense to be jumping up a lot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wonder how Bernier will play? Keeping it simple, if he plays like he has since he came back from injury last year, then it won't matter how the #1 line plays.

Pens nearly gift wrapped Corey Perry's hattrick yesterday with defensive zone breakdowns, and giveaways.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
excited to see the 4th line
1st time ive ever said that :)

hope percy plays again too

sit franson, he's the odd man out until someone else plays their way of the lineup....not counting phanuef :)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is what it has come to? If we are playing our 4th line that much, it doesn't auger well that the rest of the team is doing well.

Maybe we should play Santa's line 20 mins a game, best line opening night. Liked their offensive zone time.

Let's do 3rd and 4th line mins, and demote the top 6 to less mins. That might work. :sarcasm:

what are you talking about?

all three of them have produced at around 10gl paces in limited bottom six minutes. they don't need more minutes to produce that.

that's about 20 goals more than our fourth line got us last year. that's the difference between our offense being a mediocre 14th ranked offense last year and having an elite top five offense last year. that's probably worth five spots in the standings all by itself.

and unlike our fourth line last year, we don't have to be scared about putting this line out against other teams' good lines, or for defensive zone starts.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga

Its time for revenge!

With regards to Phaneufs hit in practice, I wish he would show the same intensity during the game rather than ****ing around and playing like he is on a sunday walk in the park

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

How a step behind bozo and fat phil looked, I don't expect them to all of a sudden get into early season form and condition.

At best they will hit some semblance of "stride" by game 4 but something tells me they will already be 0-3 by then.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
If after the weekend we still don't have anything going, I think I'd try and split the top 6 amongst 3 lines and see what we can get going...

Komarov - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Santorelli - Kozun
Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson
Winnik - Holland - Panik

I've been saying to balance the first three lines for a long time now (to friends, not on here) A first line that can only score and is a minus is getting us nowhere and it's strange to me that thinking a little outside of the box wouldn't be given a try for a reasonable length of time. We have nothing to lose. I like the lines you've put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad