GDT: Leafs vs Oil. 9pm, TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Leafs seem to play better on the road so I predict that they win tonight, it may be in overtime or a shoot out, but they'll win.

Reactions: Evilhomer

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I just want to see what lines Keefe does. For once, please don't revert back to Matthews and Marner. I'll accept anything else.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Teams don't throw away entire years when they have a core in their prime. For good or for bad Tre is gonna make some adds at the deadline.
The team has been handicapped ever since acquiring Tavares, and the constant application of band-aids at the trade deadline has only exacerbated the problem.

Stop wasting assets until he's gone.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The East is weak, that's true. But that doesn't make us any more likely to come out of it than any number of teams. And when the best thing you can say about the Leafs is that the East sucks, that's pretty telling in itself.
This is all I have been saying all along. I think the Leafs can be the best of a relatively bad lot. You are right that saying that is a pretty telling indictment of where the Leafs are relative to where I think most people believe they should be, but it is what it is. There is no powerhouse in the East that has risen above every other team. I still see Colorado and Vegas the best teams in the league, although the former needs to find a way to keep its players out of the assistance program...

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
They sure get excited when the Leafs roll into town!

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 11.40.32 AM.png

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Honestly could care less to watch. It's Edmonton which makes me less interested. I hope they lose. I wanna see major changes from the stupid Shanaplan where we pay all our cap to 3 f***ing players.
If you cant get interested while watching the best player in the world then maybe hockey isnt for you

Reactions: OILLIO

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is all I have been saying all along. I think the Leafs can be the best of a relatively bad lot. You are right that saying that is a pretty telling indictment of where the Leafs are relative to where I think most people believe they should be, but it is what it is. There is no powerhouse in the East that has risen above every other team. I still see Colorado and Vegas the best teams in the league, although the former needs to find a way to keep its players out of the assistance program...
You've been boldly stating that the Leafs absolutely will take over 1st place in the Atlantic. First you said it would happen in January, then got carried away and said it would happen in December ...

Maybe they can be the best of a bad lot, doesn't seem likely though. Right now they're 6th by PTS%, tied with DET for 8th by regulation PTS% so it's hard to make a case that they're "the best".

Reactions: egd27 and myleafs

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Lol thats delusional. He just turned 27. He'll be 29 when/if he tests free agency. Thats not too late in his career. You make it sound likes hes in his mid 30s. Hes not that kinda person to bail after his rookie contract. Want that type of player? go look in the nba.
He's not leaving Edmonton.
This game is going to be a bloodbath.
Who is fighting?
With a “lame duck” president and GM the board has to be very careful what they allow them to do.
Lame ducks don't have the full confidence of their board.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
You've been boldly stating that the Leafs absolutely will take over 1st place in the Atlantic. First you said it would happen in January, then got carried away and said it would happen in December ...

Maybe they can be the best of a bad lot, doesn't seem likely though. Right now they're 6th by PTS%, tied with DET for 8th by regulation PTS% so it's hard to make a case that they're "the best".
They aren't catching Boston this year.

The so called weak eastern conference have owned the Leafs this year. How many games have they won against Boston, NYR, Florida and Carolina so far?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With a “lame duck” president and GM the board has to be very careful what they allow them to do.
I thought Shanahan signed a big extension and Treliving couldn't be on a one year deal?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Based on how the team has been playing, this should be a definitive loss.

Leafiness says they prob win this one and have a good road trip.
Interesting what some late goals against will do to a fans pysche. Leafs won 4 in a row. Lost in OT to the Isles after blowing a 2 goal lead. Blow leads and get scored on within the last few mins against Colorado and the Wings. If they hang and get to OT who knows what happens. Suddenly they have points in 7 of 7 games and doesn't feel so bad. All that with a goalie who cleared waivers this year.

Leafs have won 7 of 10 against the Oilers. Canuck fans are whiny but Oiler fans are just plain scumbags. Leafs will win. McDavid will see if he can catch a ride home with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingman75

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They aren't catching Boston this year.

The so called weak eastern conference have owned the Leafs this year. How many games have they won against Boston, NYR, Florida and Carolina so far?
Yeah it doesn't seem likely. I've said many times that they're better than they've shown, not saying that any more though. I mean if you can't going by the time half a season is in the books, it seems reasonable to say that what you see is what you get.

Reactions: OddyOh and MSZ

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Being optimistic is one thing but the over the top polyanna statements every single day/game is as annoying as the full on haters. I find the Zero critical thinking from both ends of the spectrum to be pretty boring tbh.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah it doesn't seem likely. I've said many times that they're better than they've shown, not saying that any more though. I mean if you can't going by the time half a season is in the books, it seems reasonable to say that what you see is what you get.
I think they have the capability to be better than what we've seen. At times, we've seen a very good team. In past years, we saw that... I don't know 80-90% of the time. This year, we see it... like 40% of the time. When I say capability, I mean the talent... the heart, and the desire to be the best all of the time, to win at all costs.. that isn't there.

Change is needed for sure though... coach first, then (at least)one of the core needs replacing.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Robertson shouldn’t be in that at group he never gets the benefit of playing with top players on the team he did in past years I don’t see why not give him a shot now put jt with holmberg and jarnkrok he needs good stating defensive players on his wing nylanders ds taken steps put him and matty with Robertson nylanders and matthews can both get Robertson open to use his wicced shot

Leave him in the 2c with marner and Bert

Personally especially when we don't have the last change I'd actually prefer 3 amigos on three different lines

Holmberg-Matthews-Jankrok
Robertson/Knies-Domi-Marner (yea shorty line but whatever...)
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander (this line has been really productive except a few outliers here and there)

about equal TOI even strength with the line that is really going getting relatively speaking a bit more TOI

We need Marner to drive the line on his own desperately!

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think they have the capability to be better than what we've seen. At times, we've seen a very good team. In past years, we saw that... I don't know 80-90% of the time. This year, we see it... like 40% of the time. When I say capability, I mean the talent... the heart, and the desire to be the best all of the time, to win at all costs.. that isn't there.

Change is needed for sure though... coach first, then (at least)one of the core needs replacing.
I don't think we will see a coaching change this season, even if it might be the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad