GDT: Leafs vs Oil. 9pm, TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Personally, I would prefer that McDavid stays where he is in Edmonton. If he truly wanted to be a Leaf, he wouldn't have signed his last extension for 8 long years in 2017.

I don't want another Tavares situation with McDavid coming home almost past his prime. Tavares gave the Islanders his best years IMHO.

I really don't need to read Leaf fans on here dissing McDavid like they have Tavares. He came home to Toronto too late as well.
Lol thats delusional. He just turned 27. He'll be 29 when/if he tests free agency. Thats not too late in his career. You make it sound likes hes in his mid 30s. Hes not that kinda person to bail after his rookie contract. Want that type of player? go look in the nba.

Reactions: themilosh

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I loved the Oilers teams of my youth from Cujo/Marchant to Smytty/Rolly/Hemsky and beyond but a few years ago my dad jumped ship from the Leafs to the Oilers and so now I cheer against them even though I like many of their players. crazy how many ex-Leafs they've had in that time too.

Reactions: banks and Sniper99

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don't think much good is going to happen on this trip.
The Leafs have the fewest number of road regulation losses in the league. I bet they win three of the next four with an overtime loss. Probably also going to see Woll come back not long after this trip.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
we aren't paying anything the MLSE is, I understand your frustration, but this core players for the most part has worked to get them to the playoffs, the playoffs is the problem. At the trade deadline they need to get a rental player to put them over the edge.
No single player can put our Leafs over the edge. Winning in the playoffs HAS to come because the Core 5 bring it.

We have added every year and not even the best adds have worked to get the Core to compete at the level required to win it all.

One series win in 7 years with this Core is unacceptable, especially after they were rewarded with HUGE contracts having won NOTHING !!!

So, Leaf fans, having seasons tickets, score them for free as MLSE is paying? Leaf merchandise is being consumed at a high rate because MLSE gives it away for free.

Leaf fans in other arenas are there because MLSE pays for them to be there.

Somehow, I think we Leaf fans are paying MLSE. The least MLSE could do is bring Leafs Nation a Stanley Cup championship. Shanahan has FAILED to deliver IMHO, and MLSE is sitting on their hands accepting this FAILURE.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
we aren't paying anything the MLSE is, I understand your frustration, but this core players for the most part has worked to get them to the playoffs, the playoffs is the problem. At the trade deadline they need to get a rental player to put them over the edge.

Please, no. We're nowhere even close to where one piece could put us over the edge. This team isn't even as good as the one that failed last year despite adding a TON at the TDL last season.

We need to stop throwing good money after bad.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Please, no. We're nowhere even close to where one piece could put us over the edge. This team isn't even as good as the one that failed last year despite adding a TON at the TDL last season.

You know the Tanev trade is happening. It's just a matter of when and how long of an extension the Leafs sign him for. Treliving won't be able to help himself.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
1st line : Knies Matt Marn
2nd line: Holmberg Nylander Jarny
3rd line: who wanna be left, Tavares, who wanna be right
4th line: Probably wrong, no matter, what!?

Keefe will probably be braingalaxing far far away!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
At the trade deadline they need to get a rental player to put them over the edge.

Sadly, they are more than *a* rental player from that.
And presently they don't have the assets to get enough of them.

While we won't be sellers at the deadline barring a massive collapse in the next few weeks, we shouldn't be buying unless this team shows they're ready to contend this year. No one can honestly say they see that in this group right now.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You know the Tanev trade is happening. It's just a matter of when and how long of an extension the Leafs sign him for. Treliving won't be able to help himself.
I hope you're wrong, but I think is quite likely to happen as well.

I admire your endless optimism and it's going to be a sad day when even you don't have any hope left for this core. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that day never arrives but I can see it coming a mile away. It'll take a few more y ears of teasing but we're likely to get there eventually.
Sadly, they are more than *a* rental player from that.
And presently they don't have the assets to get enough of them.

While we won't be sellers at the deadline barring a massive collapse in the next few weeks, we shouldn't be buying unless this team shows they're ready to contend this year. No one can honestly say they see that in this group right now.
I believe @Evilhomer still thinks this group is a contender. Honestly.

Reactions: kevsh and 1specter

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I hope you're wrong, but I think is quite likely to happen as well.

I admire your endless optimism and it's going to be a sad day when even you don't have any hope left for this core. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that day never arrives but I can see it coming a mile away. It'll take a few more y ears of teasing but we're likely to get there eventually.

I believe @Evilhomer still thinks this group is a contender. Honestly.
So many people jumping off the ledge after a three game losing streak, most of whom are the same people who were doing cartwheels after the second San Jose game. I have no doubt the process will repeat itself over the course of the next four games. At the end of the day, so long as this team gets some defensive help between now and the deadline (and, yup, it's hard to imagine that it won't be Tanev), they will be as much a contender as any other team in the East, but for me that says more about the poor quality of the Eastern conference than anything else.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Teams don't throw away entire years when they have a core in their prime. For good or for bad Tre is gonna make some adds at the deadline.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Jojalu

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think they could be if they'd spent at all wisely in the offseason
Maybe. But even if we looked much better than we do now, it's still hard for me to have faith in this core group to get it done in the playoffs. Plus no matter what we did in the off-season wouldn't change the fact that JT has been bad this season, neither has Marner and while in theory the playoffs are a new season and so on, it's still hard to see it happening.

So many people jumping off the ledge after a three game losing streak, most of whom are the same people who were doing cartwheels after the second San Jose game. I have no doubt the process will repeat itself over the course of the next four games. At the end of the day, so long as this team gets some defensive help between now and the deadline (and, yup, it's hard to imagine that it won't be Tanev), they will be as much a contender as any other team in the East, but for me that says more about the poor quality of the Eastern conference than anything else.
For me it has zero to do with the last three games, it has everything to do with our 1-7 playoff series record and the fact that we're tied for 15th with Detroit in regulation PTS% doesn't help. Even Pittsburgh who people love to mock for being a tire fire has a better record in regulation than we do FFS.

The East is weak, that's true. But that doesn't make us any more likely to come out of it than any number of teams. And when the best thing you can say about the Leafs is that the East sucks, that's pretty telling in itself.

Teams don't throw away entire years when they have a core in their prime. For good or for bad Tre is gonna make some adds at the deadline.
He probably will. I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it myself.

Reactions: themilosh

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Don’t lose to the oilers

Don’t get fathered by Mcdavid and Hyman

Win. Win big

9pm game is tough, hate waking up in the morning, but I ain’t skipping this game. Maybe if we are down 4-0 by the end of the first

Reactions: PromisedLand

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
All facts. No cabbage

Maybe. But even if we looked much better than we do now, it's still hard for me to have faith in this core group to get it done in the playoffs. Plus no matter what we did in the off-season wouldn't change the fact that JT has been bad this season, neither has Marner and while in theory the playoffs are a new season and so on, it's still hard to see it happening.

For me it has zero to do with the last three games, it has everything to do with our 1-7 playoff series record and the fact that we're tied for 15th with Detroit in regulation PTS% doesn't help. Even Pittsburgh who people love to mock for being a tire fire has a better record in regulation than we do FFS.

The East is weak, that's true. But that doesn't make us any more likely to come out of it than any number of teams. And when the best thing you can say about the Leafs is that the East sucks, that's pretty telling in itself.

He probably will. I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it myself.
I guess the next 7-8 weeks will decide. I don't believe the Leafs will fall out of a playoff spot, (maybe for a game or 2) but if they struggle from now til March 8th, they have some interesting pieces that could be moved

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With a “lame duck” president and GM the board has to be very careful what they allow them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad