Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Laine will probably score a hat trick but in that scenario i expect Matthews with at least 2 goals, as is tradition. Interested to see how Marner will start the official season

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Laine will probably score a hat trick but in that scenario i expect Matthews with at least 2 goals, as is tradition. Interested to see how Marner will start the official season

Laine is actually going to suffer from sophomore slump as I suspect he's going to be shadowed to counter the one timer.

As such he's going to need to find another way to score this year.

That's my prediction.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We have to play real physical here at the beginning. Byfuglien etc will bring it tough early on. Our physical players has to be ready tonight.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I just want a fun entertaining game. That pre-season shit was f***ing awful.

Oh and win of course.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
We have to play real physical here at the beginning. Byfuglien etc will bring it tough early on. Our physical players has to be ready tonight.
Playing physical against Winnipeg who's a bigger stronger team why? The Leafs strength is it's speed. They need to play fast & poised both on offense and on defense quick on close outs with active sticks. Engaging physically other than Komorov on Laine would mean the Leafs would be playing without the puck more than playing with it. In turn that would mean Anderson would have to be the 1st star for the Leafs to get the win.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs are top 3 fastest teams in the NHL. With noticeably improved play by Rielly and Gardiner and the big 3, I expect a big game overall. The Jets don't scare me.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If they do so, it opens up the Matthews line to feasting on weaker match-ups. That's the beauty of offensive depth.

There's a difference between the toughest offensive and defensive matchups though. Not sure what lines the Jets are tossing out there but assuming their best offensive and defensive lines are different lines they'd try to put their best offensive line out there against the Bozak line while keeping their best defensive line for the Matthews line. We'll have Babcock trying to get Kadri out there against their best offensive line instead. I don't think Babs will care enough to avoid the best defensive matchups, Matthews and Nylander can score one anyone and if they get the tough defensive matchup then someone else is getting an easier one.

Looks like the Jets have Ehlers/Little/Laine and Perreault/Schiefele/Wheeler, I would say those are pretty equivalent offensively, but I have to imagine the Schiefele line is better defensively. As long as we can keep the Bozak line away from both I don't think any of the other matchups will matter too much. Kadri shuts down 1 of them(hopefully), Matthews scores on the other.

Reactions: LeafsNation149

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Looks like the Jets have Ehlers/Little/Laine and Perreault/Schiefele/Wheeler, I would say those are pretty equivalent offensively, but I have to imagine the Schiefele line is better defensively. As long as we can keep the Bozak line away from both I don't think any of the other matchups will matter too much. Kadri shuts down 1 of them(hopefully), Matthews scores on the other.

That's why it is still pretty odd to see Bozak still around centering a line on this Toronto team.

As you said, outside of the 4th line on an energy shift, Babcock can match any line the Leafs have against anyone else, except the Bozak line where he must seek the favourable match up.

That sort of says that Babcock must make the strategy of line matching revolve around Bozak to get an advantage, because he don't trust him.

Even all us fans, all the other teams, can see how everyone would want to play the Leafs. Babcock has noticed too for sure. Why do they not want make a change?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Guys... Laine is a really selective shooter and he can maintain 30% shooting percentages... didn't you know?

That's the best finnipeg line i've ever read in my time on ole HFB. IDC what anyone says, winnipeg has the most obnoxious fan base in the league, I dare them to bring back the ole "Laine's better" chant tonight. I hate the jets! Lets smoke em.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Laine is actually going to suffer from sophomore slump as I suspect he's going to be shadowed to counter the one timer.

As such he's going to need to find another way to score this year.

That's my prediction.
Ah yes, the one timer with which he scored an entirety of 4 goals last year. Or was it 5?

Last edited:

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Guys... Laine is a really selective shooter and he can maintain 30% shooting percentages... didn't you know?

That's the best finnipeg line i've ever read in my time on ole HFB. IDC what anyone says, winnipeg has the most obnoxious fan base in the league, I dare them to bring back the ole "Laine's better" chant tonight. I hate the jets! Lets smoke em.

Patrik Laine has played Toronto Maple Leafs twice and scored 5 (five) goals.

Auston matthews has played Winnipeg Jets twice and has not scored a single goal in these games.

Laine has smoked Matthews head-head in WJC, WC and NHL seems to go down the same path.

Laine has him in the bag mentally, big time. No question. Matthews zero (0) goals.

Last edited:

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Auston matthews has played Winnipeg Jets twice and has not scored a single goal in these games.

Laine has smoked Matthews head-head in WJC, WC and NHL seems to go down the same path.

Laine has him in the bag mentally, big time. No question. Matthews zero (0) goals.

Damn, how big is your inferiority complex that you had to come to the Leafs board to pump Laine?

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
imgres

God you're obnoxious for getting a % that is a C in school.

Attachments

• download (6).jpg
    download (6).jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

164-3

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It's a road game so it will be tough to get matchups consistently.

Also Scheifele/Wheeler is probably more dangerous than Laine's line tbh.

Babs main job should be keeping the Bozak line away from both of them. Let Auston and Kadri handle the top two lines, doesn't really matter which one specifically. Their third and fourth lines are no threat, Bozak's line won't get exposed defensively.

Well said, and we'll see if he tries to get some forward/Dpairings working together as well!

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
There's a difference between the toughest offensive and defensive matchups though. Not sure what lines the Jets are tossing out there but assuming their best offensive and defensive lines are different lines they'd try to put their best offensive line out there against the Bozak line while keeping their best defensive line for the Matthews line. We'll have Babcock trying to get Kadri out there against their best offensive line instead. I don't think Babs will care enough to avoid the best defensive matchups, Matthews and Nylander can score one anyone and if they get the tough defensive matchup then someone else is getting an easier one.

The Laine line isn't that good defensively IMO. It's faster, so I expect Kadri's line to match-up against that line and Moore against the Schiefele line. My point wasn't that they wouldn't try it either. My point was that we're that much deeper that they're forced to match (with the Schief line IMO being the best defensively) their best centre line to ours which lets Marner's line for instance, run against weaker match-ups.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand

I wonder if Matthew's carries the Calder Trophy around in this mental bag of his?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad