Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Doesn't Mason typically play well against the Leafs?
Don't know what his results have been against us, but skillset wise we should fit him worse than most teams in the league. Mason is perhaps the best perimeter goalie in the league, he even has a 100% save rate from severe angles over the last few years. But he's always been below average at shots from the slot. We get shots from the slot more often than most teams.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm selfless like that.
This is well deserved!
first-place-one-star-badge-reward-picture-id172388495

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
And there's no real reason why the NHL would pick Leafs@Jets to start the season except for the Matthews/Laine angle.

Actually there is a good reason aside from those two.

Sportsnet wants a Canadian double header to open the year. Edmonton/Calgary are playing later. Toronto/Montreal games are typically Saturday nights. That leaves Winnipeg, Vancouver and Ottawa as possible Toronto opponents. They already did Ottawa last year and EK is probably missing the beginning of the season. Vancouver, lol. So Winnipeg would seem like the obvious choice even without any Matthews/Laine storylines.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Serious note though, so pumped for the season.
1 out of 4 lines look "weak" because they can only score.
D Corp much better and deeper!!!

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
As a pegger I find this offensive :laugh: I've hated it from the start.

I agree, as a fellow pegger. People want this to be a rivalry, but they only play twice a year, and the chance they meet in the playoffs is low since it could only happen in the finals.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't know what his results have been against us, but skillset wise we should fit him worse than most teams in the league. Mason is perhaps the best perimeter goalie in the league, he even has a 100% save rate from severe angles over the last few years. But he's always been below average at shots from the slot. We get shots from the slot more often than most teams.
I'm starting to think I'm a little off base with my thinking.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
27 hours from now its tiiiiiiimmmmmmme

edit: isn't Winnipeg in the central time zone? thescore app is saying a 7PM puck drop,surely the jets wont be having a montreal style home opener?

I'm guessing it's using Eastern time, since I'm pretty sure puck drop is 6:00 PM here.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
They (Borgman/Rosen) both played well. But I feel it came down to the last game, where Borgman had 3 shots, and less mistakes. In addition he does bring size, and "beast-mode" that we currently do not have on the back end (esp losing Polak). In addition he is creative and has a hard shot to boot. Rosen to me is a hybrid. He is like a cross of Rielly/Gardiner, which is a damn good hybrid, however; Rosen made one too many bad choices that last game, and again he brings something good to the table, it is just we have it already. So I think the management put need, and performance together and made the right choice for now. Borgman could do badly early. At the same time Rosen could do just as bad in the AHL which would mean then that we call up Dermott. Either way it was a good competition, I feel the better player won. Bring on real games, and then we will see how he is. It should be noted obviously size isnt everything but Borgman can skate for a bigger player, and the way he hits look out. I hope he does as well as I think he can. If so we now have another top 4 D (he just isnt there because of handedness and roster room). I think he can develop into top 4 no problem at all.

Finally our international scouts deserve a raise. Last year Zaitsev. They hit the mark on all 3 fronts this year Rosen, Aaltonenn, and Borgman. Lets not forget Zaitsev's Russian commrad (damn it forget his name Igor something), anyway Zaitsev has already talked to him, so have our management. If all goes as planned (if it is still a plan), we sign him as soon as KHL season is done. He is 6foot2 and 210lb RHD with a cannon apparently. I look for Carrick to move aside, and doubt we keep Hainsey unless he really "WOW's" this year. Keep in mind Lily and or Dermott may crack the roster next reason. Looks to me like a log jam. At some point or other we will have to trade some of these assets
Kap, Leivo,Dermott,Carrick,JVR,Bozak,Komarov--Before you crucify me, I am not saying all of those players. But look up and down the lineup, then at the contracts, we cannot keep all of the above, and there a some I didnt mention. If we keep signing international guys, and they keep exceeding expectations and winning spots you have to do deals. Plus we are a contender now or very, very close. Why I think Zaitsev's pal will make the team; if he is better than Carrick which shouldnt be too hard, he immediately makes the team. His handedness alone would be why. As to say if he is as good, or better (Carrick just made the team) so why wouldnt he? Also the size and shot factor. Anyway excited for tomorrow! I hope Cyborg runs over Laine.

GO LEAFS GO

Reactions: Rogie and BigWilly

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm guessing it's using Eastern time, since I'm pretty sure puck drop is 6:00 PM here.

so the leafs are forcing Winnipeg to start an hour early? that will piss those "peggers off" ;). I assume there will be some sort of ceremony?

edit: there is no sarcastic smile thing anymore?

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
so the leafs are forcing Winnipeg to start an hour early? that will piss those "peggers off". I assume there will be some sort of ceremony?
Haven't really paid much attention to it, but I can't think of anything they would do beside the usual team introduction.

I personally don't really see a big deal with starting an hour earlier, though perhaps that is because I'm used to 6:00 pm start times. Besides, any way to get out of downtown Winnipeg as early as possible is a good one :laugh:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
so the leafs are forcing Winnipeg to start an hour early? that will piss those "peggers off" ;). I assume there will be some sort of ceremony?

The time is to be expected. It's a national game and part of a double-header. Yes, you can expect a ceremony introducing the team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I was pretty hyped for last year's home opener but had tempered expectations. This year I am raring to go.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you can shed some light on what the PP units are expected to be for this game. I've been seeing some conflicting things. Is Rielly supposed to be on one of the units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad