Proposal: Leafs Trades to Fix Defensive Woes

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Play the odds that you will be happy with that trade before Letang's 4 years are up. Gain capspace. At the same time they proved a couple years beck they could win without Letang
They could easily get more elsewhere.

Jan 21, 2018
Since Leaf fans are smacking canucks cuz they cant rebuild etc etc, so if Canucks drafts Dahlin this year, this would be their first year of the rebuild? Good it is settled.

I'd say last year was the first season where they began to transition into a rebuild, and with the sedins officially retiring this summer it's not a stretch to say they are actually rebuilding now, regardless of who they end up drafting this year. I hope I explained that easy enough for you to understand, glad we can settle this.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
JVR came for Schenn, drafted 5 ov
Andersen, Kapanen came from the Kessel deal

shall we keep going?

Ok what exactly did you dissprove? The Leafs made decent trades? Yes, they won the Schenn trade. Kessel’s been great in Pittsburgh and the low draft pick they acquired was shipped for Freddy Andersen and yes Kapanen. Are you trying to state the Leafs have done reasonably well in trades? This is known.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The things that some Leaf fans say makes me cringe. Tanev-Reilly would be a legit top pair. Would be willing to give up a lot to get a top-pairing defensive d-man, as building from the net out is the only way to go. That being said, the middle-pairing needs an upgrade too.

Offer being thrown around in another thread was Toronto's 1st and Kapanen, which I think is a fair ask. The added benefit of having a legit top pairing like that is even if Gardiner stays, you wouldn't be nearly as dependent on him.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
I love how Leaf fans smack other teams for their sucking and failed rebuilds while they have had loads of top-10 picks the last decade, but we should just ignore that, cuz of ”reasons”...

im not a bias leaf fan but if you think rebuilding is just finishing low then picking the best player your wrong

between that time listed, management has been wiped twice, captains changed, different gms with different mindsets, i mean nonis and burke even admitted to not doing a rebuild, it wasnt until shanahans 2nd season the rebuild really got kicking

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Offer being thrown around in another thread was Toronto's 1st and Kapanen, which I think is a fair ask. The added benefit of having a legit top pairing like that is even if Gardiner stays, you wouldn't be nearly as dependent on him.

id rather have 82 games of kapanen a season than 60 of tanev.

i like tanev hes great when he plays but thats the only problem...its when he plays

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That offer was made by a Nucks fan....Leafs fans tejected it pretty much.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
im not a bias leaf fan but if you think rebuilding is just finishing low then picking the best player your wrong

between that time listed, management has been wiped twice, captains changed, different gms with different mindsets, i mean nonis and burke even admitted to not doing a rebuild, it wasnt until shanahans 2nd season the rebuild really got kicking
What a crock of do.do. .The Leafs picked the BAP in the 1st rd of every draft the last 5/7 yrs.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
What a crock of do.do. .The Leafs picked the BAP in the 1st rd of every draft the last 5/7 yrs.

Uh, picking Mitch Marner was not the "BPA" move. They were supposed to take Noah Hanafin with the 4th overall pick, but went with Marner instead, dropping Hanafin down to 5th. Same with 2014. It was a toss up between Ehlers and Nylander and they went with Nylander. Arguable, to say he was for sure the BPA.

Same with 2009, when they surprised everyone and picked Kadri at 7th instead of Jared Cowan. I know that one is 9 years ago, but still.......Kadri is a key cog in their machine.

Thank Gawd for those selections.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Didn't do all 15 pgs but can see consensus is OP post a big miss across the board.
Zuc is nice and we accept overpayment, but realistically he goes straight up to FL for its 1st. Also zuc does not help solve Leaf D woes directly or indirectly.

Rangers have 3 LD prospects
Rykov, Lindgren, Hajek having cup o coffee this season
and Sean Day expected to get here following season

We are like nearly everyone thin on the right.

We have some ready now help, including at the top Skjei, who is RFA
But you have to understand, we don't want to give him away. He has enough upside to fetch something premium.

You had your chance at McD.
So did the Bs, who barely advanced needing game 7.
Bolts added McD + Miller and are crushing it.

Are you willing to offer currency NYR would want to upgrade D?
the above prospects and Shatty are off the table.
Everyone else we can talk.
Not everybody commands what Skjei does, but on the rest we don't want to rearrange deck chairs. We want upgrade, actual or potential.

If interested, what do you offer?
Til tonite...

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
The Leafs had the answer, but didn't ante up for him. I think if they would have picked up McDonagh they would have solidified their D and would still be playing playoff hockey. McD getting about 22 mins a game with Tampa and playing well. The only Leaf Dman who wasn't a minus player in Boston series was Polak. I still think they could have made a better offer for McD and not hurt their system at all.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Uh, picking Mitch Marner was not the "BPA" move. They were supposed to take Noah Hanafin with the 4th overall pick, but went with Marner instead, dropping Hanafin down to 5th. Same with 2014. It was a toss up between Ehlers and Nylander and they went with Nylander. Arguable, to say he was for sure the BPA.

Same with 2009, when they surprised everyone and picked Kadri at 7th instead of Jared Cowan. I know that one is 9 years ago, but still.......Kadri is a key cog in their machine.

Thank Gawd for those selections.
It was a toss up between Ehlers and Nylander as Nylander was ranked 1 spot ahead of Ehlers. The same can be said of Marner and Hanafin as Hanafin was ranked 1 spot ahead of Marner. As for your Nylander post..Lets just say today most would disagree. I think a lot would take Ehleras of now.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Leafs had the answer, but didn't ante up for him. I think if they would have picked up McDonagh they would have solidified their D and would still be playing playoff hockey. McD getting about 22 mins a game with Tampa and playing well. The only Leaf Dman who wasn't a minus player in Boston series was Polak. I still think they could have made a better offer for McD and not hurt their system at all.
Like what? Rangers fans were saying the ask from Toronto was Nylander....or Liljegren+1st+....that's hurting the system.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think the title of a thread like this should be "is there a solid D 1st top 4 available to Toronto that doesn't cost Nylander/Marner/Matthews?".

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I think the title of a thread like this should be "is there a solid D 1st top 4 available to Toronto that doesn't cost Nylander/Marner/Matthews?".

There is. His name is Chris Tanev. But for some reason Toronto fans shit all over the idea of having him on their team. If you want a top pairing D without any real flaws then the cost is going to start with one of the big 3 and go up from their.

Toronto is no longer rebuilding. The resistance to trading some young assets to get better today is confusing to me.

Reactions: TS Quint

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There is. His name is Chris Tanev. But for some reason Toronto fans **** all over the idea of having him on their team. If you want a top pairing D without any real flaws then the cost is going to start with one of the big 3 and go up from their.

Toronto is no longer rebuilding. The resistance to trading some young assets to get better today is confusing to me.

I am probably the one Leafs fan advocating acquiring Tanev....but come on, his injury is a big concern.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Like what? Rangers fans were saying the ask from Toronto was Nylander....or Liljegren+1st+....that's hurting the system.

Rangers fans turned out to not know a whole lot about it. They were asking for Point and Foote from TB. Look how that worked out.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad