Pre-Game Talk: Leafs/Sens - Game Cancelled in Light of Ottawa Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It is on National TV.....no secrets are being disclosed.

Doesn't make it right or smart. Its disrespectful and reckless to post the officers location. No matter what news media (national or otherwise) has errored in their decision making.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Stop comparing this to Boston's game last year. First, Boston has bombs, which could have been setup in the arena. Second, Sens and the Leafs don't even play Ottawa DT core, which is where the shooters are expected to be. Third, I was really looking forward to watching the game.

Oh poor you!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Driving to Ottawa to meet my brother for the game right now. Why is this happening?

I hope you aren't too far along the road or your brother has told you something or informed you of the situation down there. Either way, stay safe, man.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Wait so there was a shooting at the Rideau Centre too? I'm not from Ottawa, is that the big mall that's downtown?

(Please don't spread this info, I'm just referencing one of the above tweets)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Rob Longley @longleysunsport
No way #Leafs-#Sens play. Less than six hours until building would be open. How could you make it secure, even if you wanted to?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul 1m1 minute ago
Surreal scene outside of our hotel right now. Lot of very brave police officers we should all be very proud of.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Wait so there was a shooting at the Rideau Centre too? I'm not from Ottawa, is that the big mall that's downtown?

Yes that is the big mall downtown on Rideau street and Nicholas street. About 5 blocks East of Parliament.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
NHL ‏@NHL 1m1 minute ago
We are monitoring the situation in Ottawa and have been in touch with both Clubs. (1/2)

NHL ‏@NHL 54s54 seconds ago
As in all cases regarding potential game postponements, we will follow the lead of the local authorities. (2/2)

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Biggest mall downtown (probably small by TO standards), it anchors the transit system and conference centre downtown. The leafs are staying in a hotel that adjoins it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 24s25 seconds ago
Seems unlikely Leafs-Sens will be played tonight.

Swayze*

The game is all the way in Kanata

Not sure why they would cancel other than paying homage to the dead.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Cancelling the game would be a good call. I mean I love a hockey game as much as the next person but this is a public safety matter.

You also have to take in account the people who live in the DT area who may have tickets to the game. You don't want someone risking their life to get to a hockey game. The league does not want that kind of publicity.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Your team is in lockdown at a hotel a couple blocks from the shooting unable to attend practice.

There is a large portion of Ottawa residents that would attend the game that will be directly affected by this.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

if people are locked down and there's a martial law type of atmosphere in the city, it will be difficult for many fans to attend the game.

also, i don't think anyone is confirmed as dead (other than one shooter)

Swayze*

Your team is in lockdown at a hotel a couple blocks from the shooting unable to attend practice.

There is a large portion of Ottawa residents that would attend the game that will be directly affected by this.

Yeesh with the selfishness of wanting to watch a game of people chasing a puck, when there are peoples lives at stake right now.

Gotcha thanks

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That's just it, until this situation is under control we risk not only the lives of normal citizens but yes, the lives of the NHL hockey players we like to watch so much. 99 percent chance this game is cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad