Pre-Game Talk: Leafs/Sens - Game Cancelled in Light of Ottawa Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Being in Ottawa right now... it's surreal and I honestly don't see the game being played.

People here are in disbelief and it's really unsettling.

Can't imagine the players being too into hockey either... apparently a bunch of them heard the initial gunshots, as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is directly across from where they're staying.

Also, the Rideau Centre shootings happened directly beside where they are staying.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The game is secondary to the security of the public, if these guys are not captured today, the game will be canceled.

To those of you in Ottawa please take care and be safe, stay inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 2m2 minutes ago
Police confirm 3rd shooting in area of Rideau Centre, mall in downtown #Ottawa east of Parliament Hill. #cdnpoli

3 shootings at the Rideau now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 2m2 minutes ago
Police confirm 3rd shooting in area of Rideau Centre, mall in downtown #Ottawa east of Parliament Hill. #cdnpoli

3 shootings at the Rideau now.

:( why is this happening?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The game better not get cancelled.
That's quite a selfish this to say. IMO the game should be cancelled. 2 shooters are on the loose, 1 of which was supposedly seen speeding down the 417. Guess where there will be a large amount of people further down the 417 later today...

Also, with some of the Leafs players having heard the shots (which Morgan Rielly has retweeted), I am sure it will be very difficult for players to even focus on the game. We all love hockey but it takes a back seat in this point and time and can be played another day.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Don't be shocked to see the game cancelled tonight and played either tomorrow night or Friday

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 16s17 seconds ago
NHL deputy commish Bill Daly says league still in ``information gathering and evaluation mode. No decision yet.'' re: Leafs-Sens game

Breakingbad28

Feb 3, 2011
Stop comparing this to Boston's game last year. First, Boston has bombs, which could have been setup in the arena. Second, Sens and the Leafs don't even play Ottawa DT core, which is where the shooters are expected to be. Third, I was really looking forward to watching the game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 15s15 seconds ago
Not sure yet if the Leafs-Senators game will be played tonight. It won't be the case for sure if suspects at large.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The senators are currently in a controlled lockdown at the Canadian Tire Center, having lunch.

Leafs are obviously in a more tense situation

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 21s22 seconds ago
Leeder "we've had reports from some of the guys [the Leafs] that were there that they could hear the shots going off from their rooms"

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Stop comparing this to Boston's game last year. First, Boston has bombs, which could have been setup in the arena. Second, Sens and the Leafs don't even play Ottawa DT core, which is where the shooters are expected to be. Third, I was really looking forward to watching the game.

I just posted a pic which shows how close the leafs are to the Chateau, the site of one of the shootings. Do you think they will be allowed to leave anytime soon ?

Downtown Ottawa is a small place, something like this will shut everything down.

EDIT: The Westin is also attached to the Rideau Centre....around which a second shooting happened.

This game is 100% going to be cancelled.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I would say that by 2:30pm they will make a decision. If I was a betting person I say that the game is cancelled.

That was for when the makeup game would be played, which could very well be tomorrow or Friday if both teams don't play till Saturday, the Leafs are already in town, and the CTC isn't booked for those days.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
Driving to Ottawa to meet my brother for the game right now. Why is this happening?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The game is secondary to the security of the public, if these guys are not captured today, the game will be canceled.

To those of you in Ottawa please take care and be safe, stay inside.

I'm at home safe, but, my wife is at work only a few KM west of Parliament Hill. I'm nervous about her safety!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That was for when the makeup game would be played, which could very well be tomorrow or Friday if both teams don't play till Saturday, the Leafs are already in town, and the CTC isn't booked for those days.

The NHL gets priority. Even if there was a concert or something else scheduled, the NHL could still push it out and use the arena

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

Yea your desire to see a hockey game a more important than public safety.....

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 49s50 seconds ago
Senators waiting to hear from the RCMP. Postponement is a strong possibility. #Sens #Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland