Pre-Game Talk: Leafs/Sens - Game Cancelled in Light of Ottawa Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I was thinking the same thing. Pierre LeBrun also tweeted that he also doesn't see how I game could proceed in Ottawa tonight.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Brother in law hanging with about 12 Leafs watching from 6th floor in Weston in Ottawa.

The team is safe and the game is in Kanata, probably still be played.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It should be postponed. Human lives are in danger because of a group of psychopaths. That's far more important than just a game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Very likely to be cancelled, and with good reason. Not only is it pretty disturbing , the traffic is going to massive.

I was supposed to go to work at 13:00 in downtown Ottawa, very close to the War Memorial and let's just say I have no desire to go. I likely won't have to though.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
One thing to note is that the CTC isn't actually in Ottawa, but is far out of the way in a surrounding suburb (Kanata). This might be a big reason that the game does go forward if that's the case.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We can't shut down all of Canada, or, the terrorists win!

We must change the way we implement security!

We must accept the fact that Canada has changed dramatically today.

Go Leafs Go!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa's top 2 Centers are Turris and Legwand. Will be interesting to see how Ottawa deploys their Centers this game. Given the Santorelli line has been our most consistent line will they concentrate stopping the #3 line as opposed to the Kadri line.

If so, A Kadri - Zibanejad match up should favour us tonight.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Even if the game is Kanata, most of the population right now is completely shocked and in distress

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Two suspects appear to be on the loose. One on foot and one on a motorcycle, per the Ottawa Citizen.

They better cancel the game. No way this should be played.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Isnt the gunman deceased? I think the game will go on as planned. A little different than the Boston bombings.

Edit: With suspects on the loose, its obvious the game will be cancelled.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
So we get the game moved to the end of the year I'm guessing?

Unless gunmen is caught or police think Kanata is far enough away from DT Ottawa, which as someone who use to live in Ottawa will tell you, it may be distant enough to be safe, about a 20 min drive

Ace88*

Yea the arena is a good half hour away from the shooting site, i dont see any reason it should be cancelled

i mean i get that a soldier was wounded and everything but that would be like cancelling a home game in Toronto because a cop in Oakville was shot

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yea the arena is a good half hour away from the shooting site, i dont see any reason it should be cancelled

i mean i get that a soldier was wounded and everything but that would be like cancelling a home game in Toronto because a cop in Oakville was shot

Most of the population that does go to the building though lives near or somewhere around the shooting site (despite the fact that Leaf fans invade the building). The Oakville comparison isn't really good because it's pretty much the reverse. If our arena was in Oakville but the shooting was downtown Toronto, then that'd be a better comparison.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Joe Bowen ‏@BonsieTweets 7s7 seconds ago
Some Leaf players say they heard shots this morning from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Scary events in Ottawa

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Heard the Leafs hotel is within close proximity to where the shootings were .. They could be stuck in there for awhile

I will be surprised if there is a game tonight

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It certainly is an horrendous thing that has happened however I think the game may be played anyway, it seems the gunman has been killed and there is nothing to suggest it was anything but an isolated attack.

Soldier, security guard shot in Parliament Hill attack

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...hot_at_war_memorial_in_ottawa_police_say.html

OTTAWA — A gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill and wounded a security guard before he was shot, reportedly by Parliament's sergeant-at-arms.

SensAreSoClose

Apr 5, 2014
This game should be f***ing played. National game, in Ottawa, against "Canada's Team", nothing stronger than this gathering, on this day. Show the sign of strength, tonight it's all one team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad